Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange theft

A

Alan Baxter

VIP Member
I discovered this morning that both sets of number plates from our 16 registered Ocean had been removed. The vehicle is parked outside address in SE London. Having reported the theft, I was somewhat surprised when a neighbour returned one of the plates which had been discarded a short distance along the road. A search revealed the other one close by.

The only item we could not find are the brackets that hold both plates! These cost about £5 each...

Congratulations to SMG Croydon for fitting me in straight away, replacing the brackets at no cost, and getting me back on the road.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? I have reported the theft to police but can think of no reason for stealing the bracket except............The bracket had the name "SMG Tonbridge " on it. Will the bracket be fitted to a van that has already been stolen and added to increase its authenticity?

SMG Croydon had no knowledge of any similar theft.

I think it wise you have report to the Police to cover yourself incase they were used in a crime. As they were found up the road I would expect they bottled out of using them in a drive off without paying for fuel somewhere but you never know.

I’ve had a plate nicked from my (non Cali) car. Only one was taken that time. Was told by police when i reported it that it’s quite common. They’re put on another vehicle and used for crimes such as fuel theft. Plates discarded after a few days usually. V wise to report

Always report to the police - All that charging via ANPR (automatic Number Plate Recognition) for bus lanes, parking, dart crossing, emissions zones, etc., - far easier to get them written off if you have the police crime reference to quote.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
If you are going to report or have reported it to the police would it be an idea to also inform your insurance?

Obviously not claim or requirement for a claim for this. But you do hear horror stories of some insurance companies using any excuse to get out of paying up and there's likely to be something re disclosing all incidents.