Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle Type Approval z1?

K

Krispy

So, I'm due to take delivery of a 6.1 Ocean on Wednesday - a demo model with delivery miles only.

I just checked the license plate with DVLA and it says that the vehicle type is Z1. Normally the California is classified M1, so I took to google to find out what z1 actually means - and found absolutely no references to it.

I spoke to the VW dealer, and he too had no idea what z1 was. He asked around, and the best he could offer was that it likely has something to do with a new type approval category being added to M1 earlier in the year, which had hitherto been referred to as M1 Special or some such. But I wasn't entirely convinced he knew what he was talking about.

Anyone able to shed some light? Thanks!

So, I'm due to take delivery of a 6.1 Ocean on Wednesday - a demo model with delivery miles only.

I just checked the license plate with DVLA and it says that the vehicle type is Z1. Normally the California is classified M1, so I took to google to find out what z1 actually means - and found absolutely no references to it.

I spoke to the VW dealer, and he too had no idea what z1 was. He asked around, and the best he could offer was that it likely has something to do with a new type approval category being added to M1 earlier in the year, which had hitherto been referred to as M1 Special or some such. But I wasn't entirely convinced he knew what he was talking about.

I think I’d want it clarified before taking ownership, it might cause problems when trying to insure If “z1” isn’t recognise.

Tend to agree with @Loz.

Couldn't find anything similar not even on Wikipedia (not that that is anything to rely on)

Wouldn't accept it until a recognised category is on the V5.
Easy to get promises to sort out later but when is later?

Thanks for your feedback everybody - which confirms that no one else has heard of Z1 vehicles either.

It seems impossible to believe that it's a typo, as it's what's listed under the vehicle details when you enter the license plate into the government's official Vehicle Enquiry online form.

I've tried entering the license plates of other Cali's I see online, and it always says M1. It appears to be unique to this Cali. Very, very odd.

Frustratingly, we can't contact DVLA until tomorrow because of xmas holidays, and we are meant to already have paid by tomorrow morning in order to take delivery on Wednesday. But after comments on here, definitely feeling reluctant to pay before I have some more info.

Thanks for your feedback everybody - which confirms that no one else has heard of Z1 vehicles either.

It seems impossible to believe that it's a typo, as it's what's listed under the vehicle details when you enter the license plate into the government's official Vehicle Enquiry online form.

I've tried entering the license plates of other Cali's I see online, and it always says M1. It appears to be unique to this Cali. Very, very odd.

Frustratingly, we can't contact DVLA until tomorrow because of xmas holidays, and we are meant to already have paid by tomorrow morning in order to take delivery on Wednesday. But after comments on here, definitely feeling reluctant to pay before I have some more info.
Could your local police help? They might have a traffic officer that could throw some light on the matter.

Just a theory, but kind of remember looking up one of the VW UK registered GC when they first came in to the UK as The first to be registered and had a temporary designation until the DVLA decided upon what it was?

How old is your van As a demo. And when did the 6.1 come in.

Just spoke with my son, who is in the police (traffic officer) unfortunately he's never heard of a Z1 so suggests contacting DVLA.

Want to know something weird?

I decided not to go ahead with the purchase of the demo vehicle that prompted me to launch this thread. Instead, I am now purchasing a different better value demo Ocean - and when I put it's license plate into DVLA's vehicle checker, incredibly it lists the vehicle type as Z1 - so definitely not a one-off mistake.

What they have in common is three things: 1) obviously both camper vans 2) Both demo models and 3) both first registered mid to late December.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't post a license plate number on here so you guys can see for yourself - should you be interested?

Here's the license plate of the black Ocean we didn't buy, and which isn't owned by anyone else so hopefully no issues with doing this?

RJ70 UTP

The license plate of the vehicle we are buying is very similar, so definitely registered at almost the same time.

I wonder - could it be a brexit-transition thing?

I decided not to go ahead with the purchase of the demo vehicle that prompted me to launch this thread. Instead, I am now purchasing a different better value demo Ocean - and when I put it's license plate into DVLA's vehicle checker, incredibly it lists the vehicle type as Z1 - so definitely not a one-off mistake.

What they have in common is three things: 1) obviously both camper vans 2) Both demo models and 3) both first registered mid to late December.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't post a license plate number on here so you guys can see for yourself - should you be interested?
That all seems very weird...

And FYI, the link to DVLA vehicle checker: https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

....And this is the response I got from the DVSA to my email enquiry:

Thank you for the email but the code for approval Z1 is not recognised in Individual Vehicle Approval and you would need to contact DVLA for further information.
Regards
Mick

Was unable to speak to anyone at DVLA today, will try again tomorrow.

Very odd.
Where did you find the two for sale? Prices are high currently? I was offered a 2019 T6 in September with 5000miles for £2k more than a £71k list 6.1 with a DTD discount. Only downside...a 5 month wait (through a locked down winter) Presumably you want one quickly, rather than getting a 12% off list price of one you’ve spec’d perfectly?

Have you actually seen the V5c for the vehicle? If it has been registered then there should be one.

I'm paying £61k for a Fortana Red Ocean 6.1 registered as a demo by the dealer just days ago, and currently sitting in their showroom. It has some pretty nice extras that I'm looking forward to but wouldn't have splashed out on: Pro media, shower, comfort sleeping mat, and a couple of other bits and pieces I can't remember offhand.

It's the colour I was hoping for, a 70 plate and actually more than £1k less than the Drive the Deal cash price for the same specs, and I'm getting it in two days rather than heaven knows when. So although I'm not sure how this price compares to what demo 6.1 Oceans have been going for over the past few months, I'm feeling really pleased about it all. Even if lockdown means I can't go anywhere, I'm looking forward to just hanging out in it and using it as another living/work space until I can hit the road.

Have you actually seen the V5c for the vehicle? If it has been registered then there should be one.
I haven't seen it in person, but the dealer gave me the necessary numbers from it to confirm online that the annual tax is what you'd expect for a California camper.

So whatever Z1 is, I'm not going to let it worry me.

Thanks everyone for all your replies and help. It's nice to come back to this forum several years after I sold my T5 SE and find it friendly and thriving :)

I haven't seen it in person, but the dealer gave me the necessary numbers from it to confirm online that the annual tax is what you'd expect for a California camper.

So whatever Z1 is, I'm not going to let it worry me.

Thanks everyone for all your replies and help. It's nice to come back to this forum several years after I sold my T5 SE and find it friendly and thriving :)
I just wondered if the V5c had Z1 on it or is at odds with the on-line checker.

I'm paying £61k for a Fortana Red Ocean 6.1 registered as a demo by the dealer just days ago, and currently sitting in their showroom. It has some pretty nice extras that I'm looking forward to but wouldn't have splashed out on: Pro media, shower, comfort sleeping mat, and a couple of other bits and pieces I can't remember offhand.

It's the colour I was hoping for, a 70 plate and actually more than £1k less than the Drive the Deal cash price for the same specs, and I'm getting it in two days rather than heaven knows when. So although I'm not sure how this price compares to what demo 6.1 Oceans have been going for over the past few months, I'm feeling really pleased about it all. Even if lockdown means I can't go anywhere, I'm looking forward to just hanging out in it and using it as another living/work space until I can hit the road.
Amazing price and delivery date. Colindale must’ve been trying it on with the 2019 T6 for £2k more than you’re paying!
Well done for finding it (and the other one!). How did you find them - rang round dealers? I’d have thought there’d be a waiting list!

Last edited:

Sounds awesome. Have you encountered any issues with insurance as a result of the classification at all?

Back