Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle Type Approval z1?

Snap. It also says 5 seats for the Ocean!View attachment 71572
The clue may well lie in having no CO2 (g/km) figure.

I did read something about the VED rate not changing in April due to Motorhomes not having this figure finalised. Currently on Commercial vehicle rate and were due to lose that in April.

Can I ask where you got yours from? Mine was from Fish Bros in Swindon.

Also. was yours pre-registered by the dealer?
Have you been in contact with these people. The Vehicle Certification Agency.

They award the Vehicle Type Approval rating.

Have you been in contact with these people. The Vehicle Certification Agency.

They award the Vehicle Type Approval rating.

Yep, see 2nd page of this thread. VCA passed me on to the DVLA, denying that the Z1 type approval exists and suggesting it was a typing error - despite this clearly not being the case. DVLA in turn told me to check with VW because they have no way of knowing what Z1 means (despite it being printed on V5s of many (all?) December Cali's. And VW's head of commercial sales says he has no idea what Z1 means, but that according to their data my Ocean is an M1 vehicle.

Yep, see 2nd page of this thread. VCA passed me on to the DVLA, denying that the Z1 type approval exists and suggesting it was a typing error - despite this clearly not being the case. DVLA in turn told me to check with VW because they have no way of knowing what Z1 means (despite it being printed on V5s of many (all?) December Cali's. And VW's head of commercial sales says he has no idea what Z1 means, but that according to their data my Ocean is an M1 vehicle.
My apologies.
I would make a Formal Complaint to DVLA forwarding copies of the emails etc. They print and supply the V5c and the computerised Vehicle Checking system so it is their responsibility to ensure it is correct. It might not be causing you any problems at the moment but could be problematic in the future.

So ladies and gentleman, I finally received what seems like a definitive explanation from DVLA - it's a mistake by the DVLA.

Please see my web chat with DVLA below:

----------------

Steven
Hi sorry for the wait ive just had a response and apparently its an error on the v5c and a new v5c will be issued to you shortly with the correct information.

9:33:29 AM

You

It's an error? Then I need to know immediately what the actual category of my vehicle is - how do I find this out?

9:39:04 AM

When I enter my registration plate into DVLA's online checker, it says the same thing, that it's a "Z1"

9:39:37 AM​

Steven

I cant get the information until its been updated on the vehicle record which will intern update the online checker, if you call the contact centre then an advisor should be able to get the information for you of what the correct definition will be when its updated..

Contact Centre vehicles enquiry line – 0300 790 6802.

The Contact Centre opening times: 8am - 8pm (Mon – Fri) 8am - 4pm (Sat)

9:41:15 AM

You may find this link helpful

https://www.vehicle-certification-a...cation-of-power-driven-vehicles-and-trailers/

9:43:10 AM

You

So to be clear, all those who have purchased the same vehicle as me in December can have no idea at the moment what regulations may govern the taxing and legal use of their vehicles, without individually calling the number you've supplied?

9:43:23 AM​

Steven

As the error has occurred and been picked up all customers that have been incorrectly registered will receive new v5c documents with the correct vehicle category on them in due course this will not affect the use of the vehicle in the meantime.

9:44:36 AM

You

Yes, but when we find out the reality in due course, our tax rates and the way in which we are able to use our vehicles may change?

9:45:49 AM​

Steven

without being able to check the record myself as I dont have access to the relevant systems, I can only advise to call for an advisor to check if there would be any change.

9:46:42 AM

You

This is a terrible situation. Letters should be sent to every person who has purchased one of these hugely expensive vehicles immediately, clarifying the situation immediately. There will be potentially dozens of people out there, maybe more, who have no idea that they might soon be expecting to pay considerably more for the road fund licenses, or that they might be subjected to traffic restrictions.

9:50:18 AM​

Steven

I completely understand your concerns I would suggest to call to speak with an advisor who can then call the relevant department in regard to the error that has occured at the point of first registration of the vehicle.

--------------

So there you have it folks. I haven't time to call the number supplied and wait God knows how long for a reply today, but if anyone else who has a Z1 vehicle does get through - please could you post what they say on this thread? Thanks!

--------------

So there you have it folks. I haven't time to call the number supplied and wait God knows how long for a reply today, but if anyone else who has a Z1 vehicle does get through - please could you post what they say on this thread? Thanks!

Thanks Krispy!

Who knows, maybe the incorrect V5C might be like one of these rare misprinted postage stamps - worth a fortune in a few years!

Why is Stephen sure it is an error if he does not know what the correct category is supposed to be?

Why is Stephen sure it is an error if he does not know what the correct category is supposed to be?
Because his superiors told him I guess - I was left waiting for 10 minutes before he came back with his answer.

However, if his superiors were able to confirm Z1 is a mistake, I have no idea why he couldn't he have gone back to them to ask what the correct category is - and why he was passing the buck to me, telling me to call DVLA contact (which of course he is a team member).

Because his superiors told him I guess - I was left waiting for 10 minutes before he came back with his answer.

However, if his superiors were able to confirm Z1 is a mistake, I have no idea why he couldn't he have gone back to them to ask what the correct category is - and why he was passing the buck to me, telling me to call DVLA contact (which of course he is a team member).
Once you get it all sorted, I suggest you send an email to VW Customer Services outlining your experience. Although, maybe not directly their fault, I feel they should be aware and hopefully give you something to compensate for your frustration.
Also, thank you for sharing on here. I think a few of us due new vehicles in the next few months will now be checking the details on the V5 before we complete handover (probably should be added to the checklist if it isn’t already on the list).

A FWD Ocean can have 5 seats legally and a Beach Tourer 7 seats.
So should the V5c say 4 seats unless the van has had the extra rail / 5th seat prep done at build time, where the V5c would indicate 5 seats instead?
Just curious what is "normal" for when a 1st time Cali owner takes delivery.
Thanks

So should the V5c say 4 seats unless the van has had the extra rail / 5th seat prep done at build time, where the V5c would indicate 5 seats instead?
Just curious what is "normal" for when a 1st time Cali owner takes delivery.
Thanks
Virgil Van Bike's V5c says 5 seats, but mine only says 4. I don't have the extra rail. So I guess the question is, does Virgil's - or is this another potential error to look out for?

Virgil Van Bike's V5c says 5 seats, but mine only says 4. I don't have the extra rail. So I guess the question is, does Virgil's - or is this another potential error to look out for?
Do you have 4Motion? Can only have 4 seats I believe. Due to weight restrictions.
EDIT - that is for an Ocean

Nope, just the 4 seats and 2 rails. So;
1. wrong vehicle category.
2. wrong number of seats.
3. no CO2 emissions at all.
At least they got the colour right .

Nope, just the 4 seats and 2 rails. So;
1. wrong vehicle category.
2. wrong number of seats.
3. no CO2 emissions at all.
At least they got the colour right .
Not necessarily wrong number of seats. As @WelshGas mentioned above, but maybe didn’t explicitly mention, as it is covered elsewhere on the forum. The number of seats on the V5 relates to the maximum allowed number of seats for the vehicle. It is not necessarily the number of seats it was delivered with.
Variations between vehicles can be due to 4Motion (heavy, so extra seats limited / not allowed).

Do you have 4Motion? Can only have 4 seats I believe. Due to weight restrictions.
No, it's a 150 with no third rail. So in my case, the seats are labelled correctly. However, my V5c also has a blank for CO2.

I do wonder if this all has something to do with DVLA making it up as they go along in response to the UK leaving the EU.

Not necessarily wrong number of seats. As @WelshGas mentioned above, but maybe didn’t explicitly mention, as it is covered elsewhere on the forum. The number of seats on the V5 relates to the maximum allowed number of seats for the vehicle. It is not necessarily the number of seats it was delivered with.
Variations between vehicles can be due to 4Motion (heavy, so extra seats limited / not allowed).
Ah, yes, but I think maybe you are overlooking that both Virgil and myself have the same set up, tow rails, no 4motion. So there is no reason for his V5C to state 5 seats and mine to state 4. Thus, one of these two descriptions must logically be another error from the DVLA.

No, it's a 150 with no third rail. So in my case, the seats are labelled correctly. However, my V5c also has a blank for CO2.

I do wonder if this all has something to do with DVLA making it up as they go along in response to the UK leaving the EU.
My question was to @Virgil van Bike

Ah, yes, but I think maybe you are overlooking that both Virgil and myself have the same set up, tow rails, no 4motion. So there is no reason for his V5C to state 5 seats and mine to state 4. Thus, one of these two descriptions must logically be another error from the DVLA.
Saw this after my earlier reply.

Nope same as Krispy, it’s a 150.
His V5c states 4 seats, mine states 5! Both 2 rails, both registered in December. Madness...

No, there are No CO2 emissions shown as the vehicle is rated as PLG, Private Light Goods, and as it is below the 3500 Kgm maximum weight the VED rate is, I believe, £270/yr.
This changed happened after 12th March 2020.
From 1st April 2021 ALL Campervans and Motorhomes, New Builds 1st Registration were going to be taxed based on emissions, but this has been delayed.

Well we have just found out that our Cali 150 (delivered and registered yesterday) is also classified as Z1. But as we know our first year road tax was £270, it can't be too much of a problem tax wise? If it is a mistake, then they are still making it - I really think it must be a new classification - but it definitely needs some clarification. Ours also has a 0 for CO2 emissions...

An update:

Just received a letter from DVLA out of the blue, thanking me for drawing to their attention the "mistake" on my V5C and asking me to send it to them so it can be corrected...

They don't say what it will be corrected to, literally just one paragraph.

So all you other Z1 new Cali owners, you may need to the same...

Back