Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle Type Approval z1?

I have just spoken to DVLA about the Z1 category among others things - the lady I spoke to checked with her advisor and told me that the category is perfectly normal and means it is a PLG vehicle. Nothing to worry about - normal tax band etc

Well - that goes against everything I've been told by several people at the DVLA as well as other government vehicle agencies, and the letter I just received from the DVLA last week telling me it's a mistake and that I need to send my V5C back to the DVLA for correction.

So - I'd like to feel reassured, but I'm afraid I'm not.

Well - that goes against everything I've been told by several people at the DVLA as well as other government vehicle agencies, and the letter I just received from the DVLA last week telling me it's a mistake and that I need to send my V5C back to the DVLA for correction.

So - I'd like to feel reassured, but I'm afraid I'm not.
Interesting thread which prompted me to look at my V5 - it shows neither M1 nor Z1! But it does show Motor Caravan body type and PLG taxation class which is what matters I imagine. Interestingly no figure shown for CO2 and it says five seats (it actually has four and two rails). All very odd.
32200A33-F268-4EAD-95F3-DFE0383D35FB.jpeg

Having looked at the build spec sheets for a number of preregistered oceans in the last couple of weeks, I was actually looking for a van with 5 seats. A lot of the 4 seaters have "[FS5] Seating preparation for upto 5 seats." having then had someone check the vans this does not mean it has the 3rd rail for the 5th seat fitted.

The conclusion we came to is that its the chassis that has been uprated. If you check the configurator, to add the 5th seat to a coast, in addition to the rail & the seat itself, you have to upgrade to what they term the 17" chassis, which has the bigger brakes & requires am minimum of 17" wheels.
This upgrade is (today anyway) standard on all current uk oceans.

It would be logical to assume that DVLA register anything that has "seating preparation for 5" as a 5 seater.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Having looked at the build spec sheets for a number of preregistered oceans in the last couple of weeks, I was actually looking for a van with 5 seats. A lot of the 4 seaters have "[FS5] Seating preparation for upto 5 seats." having then had someone check the vans this does not mean it has the 3rd rail for the 5th seat fitted.

The conclusion we came to is that its the chassis that has been uprated. If you check the configurator, to add the 5th seat to a coast, in addition to the rail & the seat itself, you have to upgrade to what they term the 17" chassis, which has the bigger brakes & requires am minimum of 17" wheels.
This upgrade is (today anyway) standard on all current uk oceans.

It would be logical to assume that DVLA register anything that has "seating preparation for 5" as a 5 seater.

Anyone have any better ideas?
You may well be right Andy, but its the inconsistency that is strange.

Just checked my V5 I'm in the Z1 club as well with a December 2020 registration. What was the consensus, just ignore it?

Difficult to understand why the vast majority of their workers, i.e everyone except those posting stuff out, can’t work from home. Surely it’s all computer based.
Agree, but unfortunately the system does not lend itself to off site working due to the software used.

Despite getting a letter telling me Z1 is a mistake and to return my V5 for replacement, for now I'm also in the "ignore it" camp. With the way things are at DVLA even at the best of times, worried I'll end up with no V5 at all for months, and no way of contacting anyone about it.

Agree, but unfortunately the system does not lend itself to off site working due to the software used.

Unless they have standalone terminals for specific applications, there should be no reason why remote access to their desktops could not be organised.

Unless they have standalone terminals for specific applications, there should be no reason why remote access to their desktops could not be organised.
If they have had no previous experience of allowing remote working, the infrastructure, security & just sourcing & setting up the hardware would be a nightmare.

The security assessment alone would take longer than the pandemic.

For a department like that, setting up the committee to appoint the sub committee to decide who is going to do the security assessment would take longer than pandemic.

Just a thought here, but although body type motorcaravan, if Z1 is a PLG classification, does it run the risk of N1 speed restrictions?

No, its Motorcaravan that dictates the speed limits in the UK.

Not sure if there are any implications abroad.

I agree in principle but doesn't the ANPR work on the M1 classification by default. The motor caravan bit should void any problems but occasionally slip through. There are other times when a PLG/N1 classification may lead to minor issues eg certain car parks, Rotherhithe tunnel, for example.
Was just something to ponder.

So, I'm due to take delivery of a 6.1 Ocean on Wednesday - a demo model with delivery miles only.

I just checked the license plate with DVLA and it says that the vehicle type is Z1. Normally the California is classified M1, so I took to google to find out what z1 actually means - and found absolutely no references to it.

I spoke to the VW dealer, and he too had no idea what z1 was. He asked around, and the best he could offer was that it likely has something to do with a new type approval category being added to M1 earlier in the year, which had hitherto been referred to as M1 Special or some such. But I wasn't entirely convinced he knew what he was talking about.

Anyone able to shed some light? Thanks!
After 6 months of waiting only one more sleep until my ocean arrives. So just picking up this thread mines has been registered as a Z1 also....did anyone ever find out if this is a problem or get it changed at dvla? Thanks

After 6 months of waiting only one more sleep until my ocean arrives. So just picking up this thread mines has been registered as a Z1 also....did anyone ever find out if this is a problem or get it changed at dvla? Thanks
Post #88

Thanks...it would be interesting to know if others who have recently been registered are still being shown as z1.

Thanks...it would be interesting to know if others who have recently been registered are still being shown as z1.
Just checked mine, also z1... PLG and motorhome.

Back