Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ventilate mode

G

gibcali

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello :)

Our T6.1 ocean has two modes for the heating, heating and ventilate mode.

If I run the van on ventilate does this drain the car battery or it works from the camper (dual leisure batteries)?

I ask as we are currently on a site and it’s 11pm... still 26c :/

Also note we are on electric hookup.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are on hookup the charger will top up the starter battery as well as the leisure ones. I believe it must be powered from the starter battery as it’s the normal van fans in the dashboard working.

I would be interested to hear if the vent mode is effective . We’ve not been hot enough to use it.

Hello :)

Our T6.1 ocean has two modes for the heating, heating and ventilate mode.

If I run the van on ventilate does this drain the car battery or it works from the camper (dual leisure batteries)?

I ask as we are currently on a site and it’s 11pm... still 26c :/

Also note we are on electric hookup.

Thanks!

I would have thought it would work off the Leisure Batteries. From what I can gather it just runs the Parking Heater fan and re-circulates the cabin air.

I would have thought it would work off the Leisure Batteries. From what I can gather it just runs the Parking Heater fan and re-circulates the cabin air.
No it doesn’t. It’s nothing to do with the parking heater.
Ventilation mode blows fresh air through the dashboard vents using the normal dashboard fans.

No it doesn’t. It’s nothing to do with the parking heater.
Ventilation mode blows fresh air through the dashboard vents using the normal dashboard fans.
My mistake. So basically a useless function as it probably therefore runs off the engine battery, so no use when not on EHU and probably not much use on EHU as I doubt if the Mains Charger would keep up with the current draw.

The current draw for the fan would be pretty minimal, can’t see any reason why the charger wouldn’t keep up.

If you are on hookup the charger will top up the starter battery as well as the leisure ones. I believe it must be powered from the starter battery as it’s the normal van fans in the dashboard working.

I would be interested to hear if the vent mode is effective . We’ve not been hot enough to use it.

Ok that’s good information thanks! I didn’t realize hookup would also charge the starter battery.

I’ll give some feedback after the weekend with regards to how well it worked, we are staying at Las Lomas camping in the Sierra Nevada (Spain)and I expected it to be a bit cooler at night!

Ok that’s good information thanks! I didn’t realize hookup would also charge the starter battery.

I’ll give some feedback after the weekend with regards to how well it worked, we are staying at Las Lomas camping in the Sierra Nevada (Spain)and I expected it to be a bit cooler at night!

Just be aware that if it is run off the starter battery it may have the same two hour limit as the heat immediately function.

I found when I tested it when I first got the van that if you leave the van in the vent mode, it is vent that the heater remote will turn on, instead of the heater.

The current draw for the fan would be pretty minimal, can’t see any reason why the charger wouldn’t keep up.
Seeing as the fan is fused at 7.5 amps or so then I wouldn’t say current draw is that minimal.

There’s a huge difference in running that fan on full blast in defrost mode, & running it at low speed for background ventilation.

Seeing as the fan is fused at 7.5 amps or so then I wouldn’t say current draw is that minimal.

Just to comment that the fans sound like they are on about 20% of their maximum speed.

I’ll turn it off after a few hours just to be safe.

Just to comment that the fans sound like they are on about 20% of their maximum speed.

I’ll turn it off after a few hours just to be safe.

I might set mine running tommorow night not hooked up at home just to see what happens.
If leisure capacity drops it would indicate that it’s that battery used.

Been having a play around with the vent mode whilst waiting outside hospital for mum to have here cateracts removed.

Air comes out just the four adjustable dash vents. You can control the volume of air using the fan speed controller- but only up to a max of 3 lights showing or leave it on Auto.

We used it last night for a few hours and it did make a difference, I don’t seem to be able to get the air to come out of the 3rd zone vent in the rear... this is where it really is needed.

I’ve just been trying to see if I could get anything out the back & can’t.
It looks like it should as the control panel is lit up although with “off” displayed

If the rear did work it would be noisy as the fan for the back is in the side panel just below the Window so very close to your head assuming you sleep with head to rear

Which battery was used?

I left Ventilation mode running on level three all night. Van was not on hookup.

Ive just checked this morning, it has switched itself off at some point. There is no apparent difference in the state of charge of the leisure battery. It switched on again immediately I tried it, so none of this only running for two hours without restarting the engine business.

So this would imply the engine battery is used, then?

I left Ventilation mode running on level three all night. Van was not on hookup.

Ive just checked this morning, it has switched itself off at some point. There is no apparent difference in the state of charge of the leisure battery. It switched on again immediately I tried it, so none of this only running for two hours without restarting the engine business.
Engine battery status?

So this would imply the engine battery is used, then?
If you assumed that the fans turned off after 2 hours - as with the heating function, I don't think it would have used sufficient power to register a change in status in any of the batteries, so hard to tell what's powering what.

There does appear to be a large amount of crossover between the camping and vehicle electrics on the T6.1

When we were having the roof problems, although the roof is powered off the leisure batteries its disconnecting the starter batteries that resets the sensors.
With the starter battery disconnected, the control panel is still live & working, the fridge stays on although the panel gives error messages related to both the fridge & the water system.
then you've got the interior lights which seem to work off both systems & even the driving lights are switched via camping mode.

All quite complicated, unfortunately.
handbook doesn’t say much on the ventilate mode. After reading it, i assumed it would be using the fan and B-pillar vents from the overnight heater and thus draw from the leisure battery.

But reading your experience:
- ventilate mode uses fan and vents from ‘car’ ventilation system
- inconclusive which battery is used
- has a maximum run time of 2h (bit disappointed, since it’s mostly later at night you get really lower temps)

but thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

It definitely uses the built-in dashboard fans and vents. New to the new LCD panel, I have spent 20min in the middle of the night trying to figure out why the heating doesn't work, regardless all the noise it makes. The conclusions were:
- there is almost completely pointless function called ventilate
- for unknown reason it was placed under the heating position in the menu
- someone absolutely mean or just dumb made it the default option
- someone even dumber or even meaner makes you go down the bed, turn on the ignition, lighting up the car lights in and out, just so you can change this this stupid mode to something useful

What it actually does?
- seemingly it just turns on the built in ventilation
- makes a lot of noise
- drains battery

What can be used for
- maybe cooking or removing smell after burning something, or cleaning if you don't want to open the windows (could be due to the rain or insects)

- someone absolutely mean or just dumb made it the default option
- someone even dumber or even meaner makes you go down the bed, turn on the ignition, lighting up the car lights in and out, just so you can change this this stupid mode to something useful

It defaults to whichever heating mode you last used either heat or ventilate - its the user that chose that.
If you use camping mode you don't light up the car inside & out, it's what it's there for.

Have you read the manual?

It defaults to whichever heating mode you last used either heat or ventilate - its the user that chose that.
If you use camping mode you don't light up the car inside & out, it's what it's there for.

Have you read the manual?
> It defaults to whichever heating mode you last used either heat or ventilate
but the factory default is to ventilate, and you need to turn on ignition to change it - that's dumb, as the whole mode is a nonsense

> Have you read the manual?
Obviously, although it's vague to be delicate...

>If you use camping mode you don't light up the car inside & out, it's what it's there for.
well, in most cases you just shouldn't need to turn on ignition in the middle of the night first of all. I don't see much need for the camping mode in general. I don't stay more than 1 night in most places :)

Back