Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vibration from hob/sink cover

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi Everyone

First day of spring today and loads of trips ahead for us all! We have a wee vibration/rattle from the hob/sink cover when we are driving, not a big problem for us but any solution/tips?

Thanks
Emer & Hugh

Are the bumper stops still there?

I have a recurring rattle with the hob cover, solved by inserting a microfibre cleaning cloth between cover and hob when closing. Does not have to be tight, and also proved to be a really useful place to have such a cloth, always know where to find one when needed.

Mine is due to a missing bump stop but when they arrived, with the usual promptness, I managed to lose them so need to order some more.

Can't you use house kitchen door stop bump rubbers?

We use a tissue to stop the rattle. Just have to remember to remove it before we light the hob....

Also worth checking that the tap isn't rattling on the underside of the glass.

We put a tea-towel under the washing bowl to (a) have a tea-towel, (b) prevent the bowl rattling and (c) prevent the stainless steel getting all scratched, but sometimes the tap then presses on the underside of the glass and rattles.

Mark

Thanks everyone. Noticed that there is only 3 wee bumper stops, tried a kitchen one but too big & won't close. Have put a cloth in there and if no good, will order some extra stops. Also noticed that the tap wasn't down as far as it could be, that's probably it, as rattle comes and goes as we drive. Gosh we are novices and what would we do without this forum!

H&E

We use the tea towel method.

All of our round rubber bumpers are there.. J Cloth on the Hob got rid of all of our rattles :)

All of our round rubber bumpers are there.. J Cloth on the Hob got rid of all of our rattles :)
Check that the Gas Hob pot holders are pushed down firmly, sounds as if they are standing proud and touching the base of the Glass Cover.

Is there anyone that has a California that doesn't rattle/squeek/make noise from all over the back of the van? Even the seats make noise when driving in low revs... :rolleyes:

Is there anyone that has a California that doesn't rattle/squeek/make noise from all over the back of the van? Even the seats make noise when driving in low revs... :rolleyes:
Mines fine on UK Motorways and A roads and those B roads that have been recently re-surfaced.
On potholed roads a different story but I’ve noticed if it is very cold or hot much quieter from the start . In-between temperatures it can be noisy on such roads until internal temperature has warmed up then sorted.
Mind you I’ve used a lot of Silicone spray and cheap car washing sponges to get to this state.:thumb

When we first had our Cali the noises were just from all over. Fortunately I had expected this situation having driven campervans/motor homes before. The Awning, the wardrobes, the kitchen unit the lower bed, badley located table in sliding door as well as the table in the passenger area, the doors etc.
We systematically went round the van with all sorts of sticky pads, velcro strips, double sided tapes, even removed some of VW's own stuff as it seemed to make things worse.

We discovered two types of noises and these two types of noises required different solutions.

Squeaks - require some lubrication but not in the oil/fluid sense. Silicon sprays particularly can get into places you do not want. We used candle wax! Rub some on the offending area (i.e. where two or more components are in contact with each other and the vibration of travel cause squeaking). You will be surprised how effective this is. Also - are your Tambour wardrobe doors stiff? Try a rub of candle wax on the runner guides! Magic!
Rattles - Rattles are caused by components being close to each other but not tightly fixed to each other. For this situation I use sticky pads, Sticky Velcro (loop side only).

We have had our van now for two and half years and it is pretty much rattle and squeak free.

We do find that when we load up to go away some of the squeaks and rattles automatically disappear on their own. WE do get the od new one too! That said I always carry sticky velcro, sticky felt pads and double sided sticky foam squares just to keep it all under control.

We also make sure that all the kitchen stuff is packed well too as it can add to the cacophony.

I almost found all noises in my California.
I just think the sliding doors of the wardrobe still make noise. Is there a way to make the sliding pannels less noisy? I have seen such doors with some kind of see through tape. Does that stop the rattling? If I tap those doors on mine, they rattle a lot, so I suspect they need some kind of silencer. Does anyone has a decent solution for that?

I almost found all noises in my California.
I just think the sliding doors of the wardrobe still make noise. Is there a way to make the sliding pannels less noisy? I have seen such doors with some kind of see through tape. Does that stop the rattling? If I tap those doors on mine, they rattle a lot, so I suspect they need some kind of silencer. Does anyone has a decent solution for that?
My 2014 SE has a reinforced clear tape on the inside of both sliding tambour doors, upper, middle and lower. No rattling.

My 2014 SE has a reinforced clear tape on the inside of both sliding tambour doors, upper, middle and lower. No rattling.
Anyone knows where to find 5 meters of such tape? I can buy 25 meters on alien express, but what to do with the other 20 meters?

Anyone knows where to find 5 meters of such tape? I can buy 25 meters on alien express, but what to do with the other 20 meters?
eBay?

we have a rattle too... new owners so taking note of all of your suggestions... think ours may be the cabin table against side of units .... looking for some 'spongy thingy' to jam in there

Back