Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

Bit blurry coz I left the GoPro and tripod in the drawer under the bed and didn’t want to wake anyone. Will try harder tomorrow.
b4cd5b2610100089f5b74373e662317e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bit blurry coz I left the GoPro and tripod in the drawer under the bed and didn’t want to wake anyone. Will try harder tomorrow.

Think it’s time you put that lovely machine as your profile pic as you are still showing the white one!

b61879d6c2019a299b062aff42a5f88f.jpg

Hopped over to Newick for a night, dinner done, just waiting for the ice cream van…

Calendar potential :cheers

We a

We are going there next week as a group of 3 vans. Looking forward to it! Did you visit any good pubs etc?
We went for seeing sunrise up on Mam Tor (4.40am) and the pop up cinema in Peak Cavern. so no time for the pubs. Have visited them some years back and particularly liked the Cheshire Cheese, but don’t know what they’re like now.

At Ely folk festival with our new outdoor revolution cayman outhouse handi awning. Nowadays this style/size is all we need. It replaces our older version that was over 10 yrs old and showing it’s age. The “tent” footprint is only 2x2 m but with the wind out awning out and the tunnel we at least double that. At each open side we have a good quality shower curtain. For privacy and bad weather or for shade they can be lowered. If tied up they let in a lot of light, the van feels nice and airy and if there’s a breeze on a hot day we get a welcome wind tunnel effect.

The amount of wind out is usually determined by how much pitch width we have but it’s never fully out.

This is a fabulous little awning, is a brilliant price (£175 in the club shop). It has a separate groundsheet (which I really prefer). It’s very quick and simple to erect, even when I’m on my own. Packs pretty small 2 and isn’t heavy. If it comes home wet it’ll be easy to dry as the fabric’s not connected to the poles and you don’t need much space to hang it up/lay it out.

We‘ve had several awnings over the years (different types and sizes). Most of which are hoarded at the back of our garage!! But this is our go to now as it’s so versatile and easy to use.

AFF4BF68-ED74-4B0B-8DFA-E1D27512D582.jpeg

Last edited:
At Ely folk festival with our new outdoor revolution cayman outhouse handi awning. Nowadays this style/size is all we need. It replaces our older version that was over 10 yrs old and showing it’s age. The “tent” footprint is only 2x2 m but with the wind out awning out and the tunnel we at least double that. At each open side we have a good quality shower curtain. For privacy and bad weather or for shade they can be lowered. If tied up they let in a lot of light, the van feels nice and airy and if there’s a breeze on a hot day we get a welcome wind tunnel effect.

The amount of wind out is usually determined by how much pitch width we have but it’s never fully out.

This is a fabulous little awning, is a brilliant price (£175 in the club shop). It has a separate groundsheet (which I really prefer). It’s very quick and simple to erect, even when I’m on my own. Packs pretty small 2 and isn’t heavy. If it comes home wet it’ll be easy to dry as the fabric’s not connected to the poles and you don’t need much space to hang it up/lay it out.

We‘ve had several awnings over the years (different types and sizes). Most of which are hoarded at the back of our garage!! But this is our go to now as it’s so versatile and easy to use.

View attachment 96150
Hi Elly - I’m interested in this. Does it attach to the awning on the Cali? When/if you go out for the day other than taking it off the awning can you leave the tent bit up? Would the tent take two people to sleep (think our daughter and son in law might stay). Thank you.

Hi @chockswahay
We’re looking forward to doing the WAW. Are you doing it all? If so how long have you allowed?
We’re just (! Haha) doing the top half, including the Causeway Coastal Route (Antrim) from Larne to Galway anti-clockwise. It’s been great so far and for VW easy driving (but often at 50 kph).

We anticipate 4 to 5 weeks on this run. Hope to do the other half next year in the late Spring maybe :)

We’re just (! Haha) doing the top half, including the Causeway Coastal Route (Antrim) from Larne to Galway anti-clockwise. It’s been great so far and for VW easy driving (but often at 50 kph).

We anticipate 4 to 5 weeks on this run. Hope to do the other half next year in the late Spring maybe :)
Have you pre booked sites or are you taking your chances as you progress?

Hi Elly - I’m interested in this. Does it attach to the awning on the Cali? When/if you go out for the day other than taking it off the awning can you leave the tent bit up? Would the tent take two people to sleep (think our daughter and son in law might stay). Thank you.
Hi Brightonbelle.

1/ I connect the awning “tunnel” to the wind out awning channel using a kador strip and figure of 8 connectors, something like this:
EB99B2C1-4E48-4DB9-944A-C181078D04FB.jpeg
2/ driveaway awnings are designed to allow you to disconnect the “tunnel” and drive away. The good thing about having the wind out awning wound out and connecting the awning to that, rather than it being tight to the van is that when you drive away and return you don’t have to be at the exact distance to maintain the tension in the tunnel, you just have to be straight because you can wind the van awning in/out as necessary.

3/ this awning isn’t designed for people to sleep in as there’s no inner bedroom attachment for it or flaps at the bottom edges to stop draughts, mud, rain coming in. In summer it gets hot and although there’s 3 vents there’s now windows that can open. If you’re quite hardy, not too tall and the weather’s okay you could. I slept in our old one once when I had a real hum dinger of a row with my hubby and I “threw my teddy out of the van, crushed up all my crayons“ and had a right strop on. But then I can sleep anywhere and am very comfy on hard ground. You can get awnings that Are designed to sleep in, although they’re much more expensive that this basic one.

Hi Brightonbelle.

1/ I connect the awning “tunnel” to the wind out awning channel using a kador strip and figure of 8 connectors, something like this:
View attachment 96183
2/ driveaway awnings are designed to allow you to disconnect the “tunnel” and drive away. The good thing about having the wind out awning wound out and connecting the awning to that, rather than it being tight to the van is that when you drive away and return you don’t have to be at the exact distance to maintain the tension in the tunnel, you just have to be straight because you can wind the van awning in/out as necessary.

3/ this awning isn’t designed for people to sleep in as there’s no inner bedroom attachment for it or flaps at the bottom edges to stop draughts, mud, rain coming in. In summer it gets hot and although there’s 3 vents there’s now windows that can open. If you’re quite hardy, not too tall and the weather’s okay you could. I slept in our old one once when I had a real hum dinger of a row with my hubby and I “threw my teddy out of the van, crushed up all my crayons“ and had a right strop on. But then I can sleep anywhere and am very comfy on hard ground. You can get awnings that Are designed to sleep in, although they’re much more expensive that this basic one.
Thanks Elly, it sounds good, but we are all tall people and I want some rain protection so might look at drive away awnings. I appreciated the detailed info though, really helpful.