Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

Thanks Elly, it sounds good, but we are all tall people and I want some rain protection so might look at drive away awnings. I appreciated the detailed info though, really helpful.
Things to consider for driveaway awnings:
  • Structure
    • Quick erect: as the name says, quick to put up. Canvas stays on frame that does fold but bags are long when packed (especially the higher models). Frames are very robust. If they go home wet they’re not easy to dry without a lot of space. Khyam are a very good make and I can personally recommend.
    • Air: No poles or rigid frame. Very popular. They are big and heavy when packed and you need a pump. Needs space to dry at home if wet. Can’t recommend as we’ve never had one but I have seen 1 punctured before and another that kept deflating itself. If you’re pumping by hand you do need to put your back in to it.
    • Poled: short poles that connect and are kept together with elastic. You can get aluminium or fibreglass poles (these can split but I’ve found winding gaffa tape round the pole solves the problem). Lighter in weight and smaller when packed down. Much easier to dry at home as the canvas is detached from the frame.
  • Footprint size: consider where you’ll camp. Having space is nice, but you may not fit on some pitches, especially if you don’t want the awning connected directly on to the van (you can connect it to the wind out, wound out).
  • Awning height: you can get high awnings in the “tent” part, but you’ll want to get a low tunnel that’s around the height of the awning rail where you connect (or you’ll have lots of extra fabric that’ll flap and rain runoff will be towards the van).
  • clear windows: nice and airy But make sure they have curtains/covers. They add to the packing weight and size.
  • doors: make sure they’d in convenient places and you may want to use some as canopies.
  • bedrooms: some are external, attached. Others are internal and clip in.
  • groundsheet: removable clip in sheets give you the option to use or not but can be drafts round the edges. Sewn in sheets are less draughty and prone to weather seepage, but can’t be removed. If you’re camping on stony ground or hard standing you made need a footprint sheet between the ground and sheet.
  • weather: hydrostatic head, a measure of how much water it can resist.
I know there’s other things I can’t think of just now, will add if I think of more. Hope these help.

It's for those who leave their departure from the island too late and try to beat the tide. You can sit and watch your pride and joy submerge when you see that you can't go forward because of the incoming tide and you can't go back by the time you've realised what's happening.
I lived on the mainland about a mile to the left in your photo; stranded motorists were quite common, despite the warning notices, there is always someone who knows better.
Stranded folk are still common, maybe folk think its ok, then locals know the tides and limitations better and often cut if fine.
The pilgrims way is off to the right and a good walk/ run when the tide well out, the end of the St Cuthbert’s way

Penhale, Fowey. Fowey a funny old place - pretty views but nothing of use there. We walked from here but it’s a little hairy. Site lovely and great facilities but a pants pitch location. Been promised a better one tomorrow even though there are loads of nice empty ones around us…

37DD687A-C4D9-427F-820E-AFE60B7B5CDD.jpeg

First trip away :cool: Drove down to the New Forest after work to get used to how everything works and test out our set-up and new gear:)
Not a great photo!

View attachment 96245
I think you even have the same windscreen cover as me. You'll be pleased to know I'm not heading to the New Forest this weekend. I'm heading to the most unlikely camping spot of Stoke Poges - just a 1 night shake down!

Or
Imagine being stuck in the "refuge" with your wife, mother-in-law and a couple of kids. This would have to be hell on earth! "I told you so..." " Why did you not..." " Didn't you read the tide times... " " Is the car insured for....?" etc etc....
Or your husband, father in law or male partner/mate. It works both ways You know!

Blarney Square, Co Kerry. It’s currently a very enjoyable 24 degrees.

And a ‘regular’ 99 whipped ice cream from the shop opposite the Cali. I was offered a ‘large’ 99 and thankfully declined; not sure I could have finished it!

3B54FF84-8533-40F0-8F71-8C0B7E18F124.jpeg

5D071092-1AE5-4EC8-8497-C7335FD662B1.jpeg

EF2135B2-C488-4965-84B6-C17E785EA326.jpeg

Things to consider for driveaway awnings:
  • Structure
    • Quick erect: as the name says, quick to put up. Canvas stays on frame that does fold but bags are long when packed (especially the higher models). Frames are very robust. If they go home wet they’re not easy to dry without a lot of space. Khyam are a very good make and I can personally recommend.
    • Air: No poles or rigid frame. Very popular. They are big and heavy when packed and you need a pump. Needs space to dry at home if wet. Can’t recommend as we’ve never had one but I have seen 1 punctured before and another that kept deflating itself. If you’re pumping by hand you do need to put your back in to it.
    • Poled: short poles that connect and are kept together with elastic. You can get aluminium or fibreglass poles (these can split but I’ve found winding gaffa tape round the pole solves the problem). Lighter in weight and smaller when packed down. Much easier to dry at home as the canvas is detached from the frame.
  • Footprint size: consider where you’ll camp. Having space is nice, but you may not fit on some pitches, especially if you don’t want the awning connected directly on to the van (you can connect it to the wind out, wound out).
  • Awning height: you can get high awnings in the “tent” part, but you’ll want to get a low tunnel that’s around the height of the awning rail where you connect (or you’ll have lots of extra fabric that’ll flap and rain runoff will be towards the van).
  • clear windows: nice and airy But make sure they have curtains/covers. They add to the packing weight and size.
  • doors: make sure they’d in convenient places and you may want to use some as canopies.
  • bedrooms: some are external, attached. Others are internal and clip in.
  • groundsheet: removable clip in sheets give you the option to use or not but can be drafts round the edges. Sewn in sheets are less draughty and prone to weather seepage, but can’t be removed. If you’re camping on stony ground or hard standing you made need a footprint sheet between the ground and sheet.
  • weather: hydrostatic head, a measure of how much water it can resist.
I know there’s other things I can’t think of just now, will add if I think of more. Hope these help.
Tend to agree with most of the points.

We have a Vango Kela V polycotton driveaway, with is an air beam type. Before buying I didn’t know if this, or a poled type with separate groundsheet would be better to live with or not. But so far so good. Weve used it on 5 holidays so far, tend not to use it if staying fewer than 3 nights though - although the set up time (van parked to fully set up and first G+T) is now about 80 minutes, the awning takes about 30 minutes to erect, and the pack away time is 60 minutes or less.

I tend to sleep in the awning, my wife in the van. We have a self inflating mattress which is very comfy. We’ve got an inner bedroom (black) but most trips we’ve not used it. You can wear an eye mask for the light.

The sewn in groundsheet works well (we’ve had some poor weather - wind and rain) and the awning has kept us dry. I know some sites don’t allow these now though.

We also bought the Outwell tarps - Hillcrest and Fallcrest, which are great !

e872e5cbeeb4d9394de4dfc7d502c9a9.jpeg

ddc926f7d96ef1ad0e1ed1cdd5275d2a.jpg

On the road through Austria and Slovenia with friends. So far a great experience/experiment. Only challenge so far is to find a parking for both of us.