Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

Now I know a Cali is a bit like a tardis but there defiantly wasn’t room for the New Forest pony!!!1C49FA16-5B1B-4BA6-9E6A-310CE176B68E.jpeg

A few pics from our Scottish trip last week.

Duck Bay, Loch Lomond, on the way up. (Shortly after this the hotel nearby went on fire.)
72D2EA66-7377-41E9-847C-DC7A6D180B16.jpeg

Less than an hour later heading for Inveraray!
548E17E4-9638-4823-9208-2A3BF060C205.jpeg

4CAD7484-6CCF-4BE1-AAFC-FF861226D1A5.jpeg

Once we got through the snow storm the rest of our break was blessed with wall to wall Sun! This is Crinan, Kintyre.
89D04ACF-F563-4905-97E1-766DC42A5390.jpeg

The Harbour at Tarbert. Our Cali can just be seen (with a microscope) on the opposite side.
D4FE42E7-1FC4-48D0-8338-F8A3FBBC5577.jpeg

Oban, just prior to our visit to the distillery. Following which, all ability to operate the camera was lost!
7128299B-08B3-4582-BCEA-44B342531764.jpeg

Well, almost!
F7993D48-35E2-4B9D-87E8-165EF2CE385E.jpeg

Near the sea the snow pretty much melted straight away, but further inland some of the lanes were like skating rinks, and the 4WD was reassuring, it didn’t put a wheel wrong.

Where did we stay? Well, in hotels so cheating slightly, but we didn’t fancy the long hours of darkness stuck in the van. It was great to have the Cali with us though!

Feeding the ducks this morning at Chatsworth Caravan Park from inside the Cali.

299CDE13-3E36-47B2-BDFA-6D01E0D649FC.jpeg

The road home through Chatsworth Park was very icy.

BF1B8FE4-AE37-44F3-A510-99F26D586DC0.jpeg

Not sure of the exact temperature, was probably about -2 overnight. We don’t have a roof topper but were lovely and warm sleeping up the top with the heater on very low overnight.

View attachment 28645
Boxing Day at Perranporth beach. Everybody completely soaked by horizontal rain.

Ha! I was down there as well with my black lab, with the car though as my sister lives in Aggie. Best time of year here, I avoid the whole area like the plague from April to October.

Great pictures, Tommy. How did your Cali cope on the snow?

Great pictures, Tommy. How did your Cali cope on the snow?
Hi Steve & thanks.

With the winter boots on, I felt quite confident in the snow, absolutely no complaints. I did keep my speed sensible & used sport mode to help with braking . Admittedly, curiosity did get the better of me, so let rip in an open space where it was safe to do so. The van did grip & steer quite well, considering what I asked from it! Good fun, but I don’t think the wife was overly impressed...:Grin

Cheers
Tom

IMG_2965.JPG I love the pictures of the snow and the mountains but this is my favourite view at the moment - my own driveway. Just back from a bracing walk on the beach in gale-force winds and torrential rain. I love our Cali and always enjoy our travel adventures but in this weather I just want a hot bath, a television and the comfort of our own home.

@leightonjthomas , about thesame scenario here today , winds up to 60-70km/h inland and lots of rain .
Went out this afthernoon for 1,5h walk in the nature letting the dog run free and getting soking wet .
Now happy in front of the fireplace.
Hope my 11,5y old girl not get's to scared from the fireworks later this evening .

I'm off in my van up the road somewhere, as my terrier is terrified of the fireworks.

Happy New Year!

IMG_2453.JPG IMG_2456.JPG IMG_2458.JPG IMG_2461.JPG IMG_2471.JPG IMG_2471.JPG IMG_2453.JPG IMG_2456.JPG IMG_2458.JPG IMG_2461.JPG I love driving the Alps in winter - first with the Cali - fantastically competent vehicle. Hard pack snow all way over the Col de la Forclaz from Switz to Cham.

Camping in Albertville - snowed most of night - oh and a kinder present I'd not seen in the UK. One happy little girl!

Last edited:
Jack and I are alone in Balestrate; Clare and Ben are visiting Clare's dad in Ashbourne.

Drove to the beach to build sand castles. 18 degrees and sunny.

b3aa60824a0cde67efbd1f3c68f40cfa.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

106Rallye, where did you stop in Albertville? I ended up in the car park by the castle before Christmas. Is there a better stop?

IMG_4345.JPG First chance to POP MY TOP today.
Having picked up in early December 2017 aching to do more than just commute in the filthy weather we've been having down south, I have resisted raising the roof just for the hell of it in the never ending squally conditions.
A Boxing Day stroll took us to Lee on the Solent in gorgeous sunshine but too windy for a novice like me to break my duck.
But today we went out for a drive covering a fair few miles looking for somewhere with a view from the Cali.
From royal Victoria county park in netley to portsdown hill overlooking Portsmouth through some country side upto the A272 the weather started to break for us.
So finally this afternoon we found an empty park and ride (no so glamorous but peaceful and free today) near Saint Catherine's hill in Winchester and decided to lord it up over some other dog walkers by popping the top for the first time and indulging in our first cuppa from the hob!

Last edited: