Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

View from/of your van.

We visited the Elan Estate back in early September - stunning scenery and never thought that “me” especially would get excited about a dam - will def go back when hopefully better water levels to see dams in full glory.
Yes - I will be back and will try to work out timing to see some water flow. Levels were really low last week.

Not sure if you would have seen my on Thursday as I got there 7:30 in the evening and it was pitch black - I didnt see anything until the following day! Unless you were late leaving and picked me up in your headlights but I dont recall seeing many other vehicles. Could it be Friday you mean?

And yes, bottom is a wrap on an Oryx white van - wasnt sure about the blue when I bought it and thought I would get it re-wrapped a different colour after a year or two but have come to love it.

you are right - it was a stunning day and I walked over the top to Rhyader, saw some wild ponies and was rewarded with the most stunning views on the way back before then going back up the old railway line (skirting around the mound where it has collapsed so as not to go the long and less interesting way around the reservoir)
I think you must have a double, same colour van there thurs afternoon around 4.30pm as I left. Saw a lady with blonde hair by the van.
I was parked up near there for a few nights, don’t stay in the carparks.74084C70-CC4F-4FC4-8A18-BAFE943D463D.jpeg420B3A26-5DE6-403F-A4A6-0411DA1A6278.jpeg17D09F93-2004-4DA6-8C0F-0E9C9239643D.jpeg053868CC-8E33-48DF-A950-46FE878ADB18.jpeg16020B98-F77D-47F5-8CF7-08C19B2EAB72.jpeg

Im going to check out elan valley after seeing your pics, thanks for posting.

There are a couple of others I have seen around same colour. Shame - would have been even better if I had a lady with blonde hair with me, but I dont think the wife would have been too happy!

I didnt have time to look at the other dams properly and didnt even go round to Claerwen, where I believe there are some excellent parking spots.

Yes - its amazing countryside, just shows that you dont need high mountains to be epic... I had virtually no phone signal for a day and a half and it was just me and the wilderness - only saw maybe half a dozen people all day. Was really good escape from civilisation and the pressures of work!

IMG_6981 b.jpg

IMG_E6962.JPG

IMG_6963.JPG

Img_e6965.jpg

I think you must have a double, same colour van there thurs afternoon around 4.30pm as I left. Saw a lady with blonde hair by the van.
I was parked up near there for a few nights, don’t stay in the carparks.View attachment 85908View attachment 85910View attachment 85909View attachment 85912View attachment 85911

Im going to check out elan valley after seeing your pics, thanks for posting.
That is a lovely spot you found - will get my OS maps out later and accept the challenge of working out where it is from the contour lines - to me that is like doing a crossword is for other people.

That is a lovely spot you found - will get my OS maps out later and accept the challenge of working out where it is from the contour lines - to me that is like doing a crossword is for other people.
Two of the pics are from horse shoe loop, the other 3 with van are same spot where I stayed a few nights.

Two of the pics are from horse shoe loop, the other 3 with van are same spot where I stayed a few nights.
Silly me - I just realised that you said Neuadd reservoir... I wasnt there last week at all. I am with you now and I recognise the pics!

ada84c3bfa82f497cca822905b4af2fd.jpg

View from head of Rosedale, North York Moors. We stayed at a cottage and found the dale’s old railway line and mining history. Great place to walk or bike off-road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, just wanted to say a big thanks to posting your little trip at Elan Valley.
I’ve just spent a couple of days there, really enjoyed the 8mile walk round reservoir in gorgeous sunshine (apart from one down pour).B4798EBB-8778-43D8-9AC1-8BBDB6DABC2B.jpeg4ED26716-07BA-433F-AACD-CD0786AE87B1.jpegE8AA2CE1-C71F-491F-BBD0-FC4A1BA9DDA1.jpeg
Silly me - I just realised that you said Neuadd reservoir... I wasnt there last week at all. I am with you now and I recognise the pics!

I stopped there for brew, unaware it was the skyfall spot
Such a lot of increased traffic on that road the last few years. Last couple of years we were there, the last being 3 weeks ago there was quite an increase in traffic up and down the 12 mile stretch. It’s a shame it used to be be very quiet.

Such a lot of increased traffic on that road the last few years. Last couple of years we were there, the last being 3 weeks ago there was quite an increase in traffic up and down the 12 mile stretch. It’s a shame it used to be be very quiet.

Shame the JB location has been tagged on GoogleMaps. Won’t help with the traffic issues.

Indeed, being 45mins away for us we tend to avoid in summer. At least the antisocial camping seems a but better now there’s mobile coverage down there for police coms. I had done a hill and wanted a brew in the sun still ha ha. Then folk turned up with hot hatches taking photos ha ha

Awesome trip to Dorset and super lucky to see a seal pup at Durdle Door.

We were worried about it because it was just lying there appearing to be shivering and looking out to sea.

After some research, apparently their mums leave young seals on the beach while they go hunting, for safety. And they look out to sea waiting for them to come back. The shivering is just part of their fur drying mechanism - it wasnt cold because they are born in sub-zero so the UK is not cold for them at all. We had no idea of this but fortunately followed advice to keep distance and not get between it and the sea. Apparently the local rangers are always having to deal with people calling RSPCA etc thinking they are injured or in trouble but with nobody informing us and no signs, its no surprise I guess.

Swanage was great as always and we may have caught some of the last of the autumn sunshine!

Img_7119.jpg

IMG_7117.JPG

Img_7123.jpg

IMG_7140.JPG

Img_7180 db.jpg

Img_7185 b.jpg

Thanks for posting the Elan valley pictures. In 2000 we went there to celebrate the 100 years of the birth of my grandmother who was born there while her parents worked on the construction of the dam. Happy memories. You should visit some of the other dams. If you want to see the one at Cray in the beacons suggest you could stay at he National show caves for Wales campsite.

Thanks for posting the Elan valley pictures. In 2000 we went there to celebrate the 100 years of the birth of my grandmother who was born there while her parents worked on the construction of the dam. Happy memories. You should visit some of the other dams. If you want to see the one at Cray in the beacons suggest you could stay at he National show caves for Wales campsite.
Yes - drove over the other dams in Elan Valley to get to the top but did not do Claerwen, which I really want to do. Maybe Clearwen in a car because there is a bothy near there that I want to hike to.

We stayed at Dan yr Ogof earlier in the summer - walking over my favourite part of the beacons, the Carmarthen Fans and visiting the air crash sites there etc.

Saw the Cray reservoir on the way back to Brecon and also noted some excellent wild camping spots overlooking it for the future. You reckon the dam there is worth a look? I have never expored that area.

Thanks for the advice - Beacons is quite quick to get to from Berkshire and is near my spiritual home as mum's family from the Rhondda.

Yes - drove over the other dams in Elan Valley to get to the top but did not do Claerwen, which I really want to do. Maybe Clearwen in a car because there is a bothy near there that I want to hike to.

We stayed at Dan yr Ogof earlier in the summer - walking over my favourite part of the beacons, the Carmarthen Fans and visiting the air crash sites there etc.

Saw the Cray reservoir on the way back to Brecon and also noted some excellent wild camping spots overlooking it for the future. You reckon the dam there is worth a look? I have never expored that area.

Thanks for the advice - Beacons is quite quick to get to from Berkshire and is near my spiritual home as mum's family from the Rhondda.
To be honest not sure I remember what Cray looks like but has memories. A relative was in charge of it once and lived in the house just below it and I spent lots of childhood holidays near by. I like staying at Dan yr Ogof and I meet my cousin for a meal in the pub opposite. If you visit again a visit to Coelbren falls is good. You can walk from Dan yr Ogof, we cycled it last time and I am sure it was not so hilly when I was a teenager.