Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Bike rack or removeable towbar?

Try a Brompton: fits inside!

You can buy the toggle knobs from TPS and they come with licks. I've now got 3 locking ones on my bike rack.
No need to find storage for it when not in use. And it makes a good drying rack too. It also can carry the Coleman ice chest for long trips away.
I do have the tow bar fitted but not used it as yet.
It's a personal choice.

Does anyone know.. the genuine VW 4 bike rack (model 7H0071104): it comes with a loose pole to make a connection between the second and fourth bike when driving with four bikes.
But where to do you attach this loose pole when rack is folded up, no bikes present? I don't see where I could attach it safely. Or do you carry that part in the car/leave it at home?

I have a thule 4 bike rack, the Euroway G2, but I am going to order our Beach with tow hitch and Bicycle holder. Its very easy to reverse into other cars etc with the Thule on the tow hook.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443812551.113016.jpg
I am very happy with my tow bar and a 2nd hand bike rack (Atera) for 2 DH bikes although I always have to find some space for the rack...

Can you buy just the protectors for t5 bike rack mounts to help any rubbing on the paintwork?

Yes they're available but not cheap. See Campervantastic and presumably available via the VW dealers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't realise I couldn't write the name of a California accessories seller!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thx for your help I will check into it

Try the club shop for the protectors, i think they are a tenner in there?

The protectors are just 3m helicopter tape. Buy a role it'll last forever!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

IMG_0050.JPG
Does this look correct to you all? Massive Height increased and bike at an angle? Also whats the purpose of the lower RED tape covered bar.. Cant see what it does.. It is fixed position? (Hope you can see this photo?)

I'm away from mine at the moment to look...but it looks right to me.

By massive height increase, you mean the bike sticks out above the height of the van - yes, that is definitely the case. Keeps the bikes above the number plate and lights avoiding the need for extra electrics etc.

The bits with red tape on... I think it's just part of the structure of the rack. The bikes can sit at an angle, definitely, but if their mass is kept closer to the van, I think that feels better.

Couple of tips - watch that the pedals don't impinge the travel of the rear wiper; sometimes you need to rotate them to the best position. Also, with the longer arms in positions two and 3 and the extension arm for position 4, you can get movement of the bike. This can be cured by strapping down a brake lever to the braking position, as well as making sure the wheels are snugly strapped.
Hope that is helpful.

I'm away from mine at the moment to look...but it looks right to me.

By massive height increase, you mean the bike sticks out above the height of the van - yes, that is definitely the case. Keeps the bikes above the number plate and lights avoiding the need for extra electrics etc.

The bits with red tape on... I think it's just part of the structure of the rack. The bikes can sit at an angle, definitely, but if their mass is kept closer to the van, I think that feels better.

Couple of tips - watch that the pedals don't impinge the travel of the rear wiper; sometimes you need to rotate them to the best position. Also, with the longer arms in positions two and 3 and the extension arm for position 4, you can get movement of the bike. This can be cured by strapping down a brake lever to the braking position, as well as making sure the wheels are snugly strapped.
Hope that is helpful.
Yes thank you.. might have a go at dropping front wheel off and seat/seat post. That gets it below roof line!

Also whats the purpose of the lower RED tape covered bar.. Cant see what it does.. It is fixed position? (Hope you can see this photo?)
That lower red tape covered bar, basically transfers the weight of the bicycles to the tailgate.
Together with the Top Fixing points that red tape covered bar provides 3 points that take the weight and spread the load.
The Lower Fixing points are just attachment points only. Virtually non- weight bearing.

We have the VW one, lots of views on here it seems re alternatives but we love it....secure, flexible (great for drying wet kit), easy to use.....looks good .....as ever, personal choice...
Hi Neilgbj

We're thinking of buying one to take a couple of bikes (including my wife's city e-bike) to France this year. But did you fit it yourself or get the main dealer to do it and did they fit protectors to the bodywork first?

Cheers!

Taff

Hi Neilgbj

We're thinking of buying one to take a couple of bikes (including my wife's city e-bike) to France this year. But did you fit it yourself or get the main dealer to do it and did they fit protectors to the bodywork first?

Cheers!

Taff
Remember you will have to lift the e-bike up onto the rack.:thumb

I have had both so this is my personal view. They both have their pros and cons but think the tow bar has less cons IMO. The VW one means the bikes are above the roof so height issues, I'm no expert but this must increase fuel consumption, I don't see having a frame stuck on the back as an advantage all the time unless you put bikes on every W/E but we are all different. For the first time last year I got stopped at customs at Dover going out :shocked if I had two bikes on I would have had to take them off with the length of time we were there for, but with ours just clicked a button pulled it back and opened the tailgate while they went through my branston beans in the back. Storage is not an issue it comes off folds and goes in the cardboard box it was delivered in, I may fit some hooks to the wall in time. We carry stuff on the rack with the bikes i.e. beach chairs etc. the view is restricted with or without bikes with the VW one you have to stick protectors on the tailgate where it mounts, you cant have a sport line spoiler (if that's your thing) it gets in the way when cleaning the back of the van and there was a post last week I think about the adjusters on the arms seizing up (I could be wrong) but if not is this due to water? As said both have P&C but you pay your cash and take your choice. To balance it up, if parked on an unlevelled site with front wheels on ramps the lights of the tow bar rack can touch the floor and the tailgate wont open, very rare but has happened.
I hope this helps, if you have a VW rack keep your fingers away from the disagree button :)

Bike rack.JPGBike rack 2.JPG