vw cali beach at £52500 ?

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
anyone seen this ad in the autotrader for a new beach? are they really going for this now ?attached a pdf file of it,hope it works ok as just finding my feet a bit here

Attachments

• Volkswagen California Beach 2.pdf
    179.4 KB · Views: 121
anyone seen this ad in the autotrader for a new beach? are they really going for this now ?attached a pdf file of it,hope it works ok as just finding my feet a bit here
Yes it works...
Surprised how much they're asking for that, it's not got all the high value extras, and, one assumes, is a unwanted/cancelled or rejected?

Not seen 0% finance offered on a Cali before. Shame they seem to have just put the cost of the finance onto the ticket price instead!

Some of the prices on AT and the VW approved used site are plain daft as is the odd ad on here now and again and seems to be more than you would look at speccing your own van brand new and getting a hoped for 5-10 % off list.

Having said that the general increases and demand has pushed up the price of older Beaches for sure - I sold my immaculate 2013 63 plate with just 11k miles last September and market value of this is now around £1500 more judging by ads for older/higher mileage ones. That's actual expected agreed price not sticker price.

Well, dont wait too long to buy one, cars are not getting any cheaper every year.

never noticed the 0% finance thing. i reckon prices are being pushed up pre april 2017 as people want to avoid the ridiculous tax hike. the tax after 1.4.17 is about 500 quid a year. PLUS a £450 'luxury' tax for the first 5 years giving a rd tax bill of £950 / year for the first 5 years. on top of this the 'diesel tax' is coming. They will tax diesel no matter how old the vehicle i reckon.

never noticed the 0% finance thing. i reckon prices are being pushed up pre april 2017 as people want to avoid the ridiculous tax hike. the tax after 1.4.17 is about 500 quid a year. PLUS a £450 'luxury' tax for the first 5 years giving a rd tax bill of £950 / year for the first 5 years. on top of this the 'diesel tax' is coming. They will tax diesel no matter how old the vehicle i reckon.
luxury tax is on all vehicles over 40k

And its not that much. After the first year, its 140 plus 310 if over 40k. So 450 in total.

If you go through the VW configurator and match the options listed it does comes in at approx. £54k so what in the forums opinion would be a 'fair' price given its unregistered and available now? Keen to try a Beach but not overpay for a car with lots of options I don't need.

Are you sure?? I configured my ideal Ocean from the 4th April price list - 150 DSG towball, privacy, cruise, MFSW etc at £56k on the road. The ocean comes with virtually all you need as standard these days anyway.

How on earth is a Beach 150 DSG at OTR current list £41.5k getting to £52 or £54k??

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704114294934?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=tn330lt&radius=1500&sort=price-desc&make=VOLKSWAGEN&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=CALIFORNIA&page=1

Keep a Beach simple, going mad on options is very cost ineffective, if going that route get the Ocean as so much more is standard and a level up. We paid £30k for our 2.5 year old 12,000 mile mint 63 plate Beach last year. Considering paying near £50k for one is just ridiculous.

It's all nuts, some of the premiums being asked on AT by certain VW dealers for two year old 15 plate 140 T5 Cali's is sheer lunacy.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612210748952?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=tn330lt&radius=1500&sort=price-desc&make=VOLKSWAGEN&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&model=CALIFORNIA&page=1

Whatever you do shop about and be patient, some greedy dealers around asking daylight robbery prices these days for sure. You can find prices for similar 5 year old vehicles differing by £5k or more even on the private market. As I say be patient - there are still bargains out there if you work hard and look carefully. :)

Last edited:
How on earth is a Beach 150 DSG at OTR current list £41.5k getting to £52 or £54k??
My 150 DSG VED list price is £53,622 (sale £45,077)

OTR base price £43,689

The expensive options were:
- Two extra seats with integrated child seats +£1,086
- Discover media +£882
- ACC +£918
- Parking sensors and camera +£648
- LED lights +£1,662
- Climotronic +£786
- Parking heater with RC +£1,818

Add in privacy glass, MF steering wheel, power folding mirrors, awning, towbar and second sliding window, and I am sure you can see how the price can escalate.

I'm similar to Tom (Amarillo).
54k list price (if specced now) for a 150DSG Beach with options like heater/7seats/extended warranty/service deal.
Was around 44k after discount and vw loyalty bonus last April. We were lucky to have pre brexit prices!

Not a Beach but this is my new current favourite for "you've got to be having a laugh mate!" or less politely "greedy b******* taking the ****".

£49,000 for a 2013 manual SE.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...nesearchad=Nearly New&model=CALIFORNIA&page=1

That's £6k more than a last of line T5.1 pre T6 I was offered by a main dealer today and a full £17k more than a 61 plate 180 DSG privately on offer or £20k more than a 2010 T5.1 also on offer.

I really, really hope no one is paying these crazy prices for some stock currently on offer from certain 'dealers'.

Not a Beach but this is my new current favourite for "you've got to be having a laugh mate!" or less politely "greedy b******* taking the ****".

£49,000 for a 2013 manual SE.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201705035037415?sort=datedesc&postcode=tn330lt&make=VOLKSWAGEN&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&model=CALIFORNIA&page=1

That's £6k more than a last of line T5.1 pre T6 I was offered by a main dealer today and a full £17k more than a 61 plate 180 DSG privately on offer or £20k more than a 2010 T5.1 also on offer.

I really, really hope no one is paying these crazy prices for some stock currently on offer from certain 'dealers'.
Madness! Also I wouldn't want such a low mileage van. 5,000 miles in 4 years? That can't be good for the engine can it?

Madness! Also I wouldn't want such a low mileage van. 5,000 miles in 4 years? That can't be good for the engine can it?

Totally agree but many dealers (and buyers) still don't see it this way - terrible for the engine, air con, rubber pipes/seals, habitation area, general corrosion, etc...

It's also hard to imagine how people can own a Cali and drive it that little. I really miss mine if I don't use it for a few days!

There is a red one where I store my campevan, its always there, never seen it move. Seems a shame. It will be a good buy mileage wise when they come to sell ;)

There is a red one where I store my campevan, its always there, never seen it move. Seems a shame. It will be a good buy mileage wise when they come to sell ;)
Might be a good buy mileage wise, but mechanically, just asking for trouble.:thumb

I read a recent survey that suggested private motor vehicles are parked, on average, 95% of the time.

It went on to suggest that if all current private vehicle owners shared autonomous vehicles we'd only need 10% of the current national fleet of private motor vehicles. This would do nothing to reduce road traffic, but would do much to reduce (or even eliminate) on street parking. How nice that would be!

I read a recent survey that suggested private motor vehicles are parked, on average, 95% of the time.

It went on to suggest that if all current private vehicle owners shared autonomous vehicles we'd only need 10% of the current national fleet of private motor vehicles. This would do nothing to reduce road traffic, but would do much to reduce (or even eliminate) on street parking. How nice that would be!
Nice idea but it would never work.

How would a Government make up for the truely enormous loss of tax revenue from the 90% reduction in the UK's current private motor vehicle fleet. They either directly or indirectly reap tax on the purchase, insurance, VED, fuel, parts, servicing, parking fees, fines and half a hundred other things that I haven't even thought of. No Goverment really wants to reduce the numbers of mobile cash cows on our roads as it would leave them with a massive headache. No they want to sqeeze the motorist for as much Tax as they dare without rocking the revenue boat.

Nice idea but it would never work.

How would a Government make up for the truely enormous loss of tax revenue from the 90% reduction in the UK's current private motor vehicle fleet. They either directly or indirectly reap tax on the purchase, insurance, VED, fuel, parts, servicing, parking fees, fines and half a hundred other things that I haven't even thought of. No Goverment really wants to reduce the numbers of mobile cash cows on our roads as it would leave them with a massive headache. No they want to sqeeze the motorist for as much Tax as they dare without rocking the revenue boat.
They did it with another addictive tax cow: smoking cigarettes. Down from 46% of adults in 1974 to 19% of adults in 2014.
http://content.digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB20781/stat-smok-eng-2016-rep.pdf

They did it with another addictive tax cow: smoking cigarettes. Down from 46% of adults in 1974 to 19% of adults in 2014.
http://content.digital.nhs.uk/catalogue/PUB20781/stat-smok-eng-2016-rep.pdf
That's a fair comment however the revenue take from tobacco sales is a fraction of that reaped from the motorist and a good portion of that is undoubtedly spent on NHS treatment for smoking related health issues. No one has to smoke however everyone needs to get about. The economy relies on it.
If the tax take has decreased as a result of less people smoking then that lost revenue has to be raised from elsewhere. At least some of the short fall is almost certainly now being made up by the motorist. If the revenue from private motor vehicles were to decrease that would also have to be made up as well. Where would future goverments raise such a shortfall? Tax electric cars? Tax autonomous vehicle journeys? Tax people who have empty private car parking places? Window tax? It doesn't really matter but it would be far easier for any future administration just to leave things as they are and to carry on wagging a finger at the bad motorist whilst continuing to tighten the revenue screws.

That's a fair comment however the revenue take from tobacco sales is a fraction of that reaped from the motorist and a good portion of that is undoubtedly spent on NHS treatment for smoking related health issues. No one has to smoke however everyone needs to get about. The economy relies on it.
If the tax take has decreased as a result of less people smoking then that lost revenue has to be raised from elsewhere. At least some of the short fall is almost certainly now being made up by the motorist. If the revenue from private motor vehicles were to decrease that would also have to be made up as well. Where would future goverments raise such a shortfall? Tax electric cars? Tax autonomous vehicle journeys? Tax people who have empty private car parking places? Window tax? It doesn't really matter but it would be far easier for any future administration just to leave things as they are and to carry on wagging a finger at the bad motorist whilst continuing to tighten the revenue screws.
I think that the taxman could quite easily slam a toll on vehicle use, not in the form of VED and fuel duty as at present, but a per mile toll.

We might even see VAT levied on public transport.

Back