Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California STOLEN from South Yorkshire

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have been informed that a Cali was stolen last night from Swallownest in South Yorkshire.

Vehicle is White with reg FM12FTJ

Last edited:
Very sad news. Well worth considering a GPS tracker, I may start a thread on them in fact.

Any more details like;
Taken from residence, petrol station, campsite or elsewhere
taken using keys, towed/lifted?
Keys taken from house?

Very sad news. Well worth considering a GPS tracker, I may start a thread on them in fact.
Doesn't stop them getting stolen in first place unfortunately.

Better immobilisation would be money well spent IMO. (hence my last question)

From what I heard it was stolen from a house along with a 16 plate BMW

Sent using Tapatalk

Doesn't stop them getting stolen in first place unfortunately.

Better immobilisation would be money well spent IMO. (hence my last question)

If they have the keys it will make no difference sadly, sounds like a key theft.

Vanessa's van was stolen and was done by trying to drag it into the back of a truck without the keys. They failed because the steering lock didn't break and they crashed it and abandoned it in the middle of the street.

If they have the keys or can get it in a truck by letting the handbrake off. A tracker at least gives a chance to find it if a determined thief is involved but both together also increase your chances. Usually they want to get away fast and resolve security at their leisure.

I use a pedal stop in my t25 stops it being driven but not being moved. They could still move it and cut it off later. That's where my trackers come in. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's shocking news!! I'm getting a tracker fitted on mine but that's no help to the poor guys that are now with out their pride and joy!!

Our Cali insurance required an extra professional build-in mechanical gearbox lock, made by Construct (prevered) or Bearlock. Total costs about 600 euro, but otherwise no coverage for theft at all. This lock works great, no tracker needed!

Our Cali is equipped with Bearloc and Pedaloc..Pedaloc was designed by "Tom united" in the German Tx-board. It has been developed in cooperation with Car theft Experts from German Police. It was initially designed for Manual Transmissipn Pedals but in the meantime available for DSG as well. Excellent quality and with a little training easy to handle. Its blocking my Pedals everywhere I park.
Note, you won't find public pictures, but believe me, it is great !

If they want it they will take it and to be completely honest if they succeed then I don't want it back. I consider good insurance , not necessarily the cheapest, more important.

Well, in my case, there is no way to find a new or almost new T5.2 California Comfortline 204 PS Petrol Engine with Manual Transmission ;-).
I don't like the Front of the T6 and even worse it is not available anymore with the 204PS Petrol engine AND Manual Transmission. DSG is a Nogo.
So, I do what ever I can to keep it. The Carkeys are well hidden at home so breaking in the house won't help.
Sure, I agree, if they want it they will get it. If they lift it on a Trailer its gone.

Last edited:
Well, in my case, there is no way to find a new or almost new T5.2 California Comfortline 204 PS Petrol Engine with Manual Transmission ;-).
I don't like the Front of the Front of thd T6 and even worse it is not available anymore with the 204PS Petrol engine AND Manual Transmission. DSG is a Nogo.
So, I do what ever I can to keep it. The Carkeys are well hidden at home so breaking in the house won't help.
Sure, I agree, if they want it they will get it. If they lift it on a Trailer its gone.
What language is this ?

Hi could you tell me where to locate this item you are talking about .where does it fit to gearbox also is it cable operated or electric and how is it tapped in to gearbox .is there a company supplying these items .thanks Mervyn
Our Cali insurance required an extra professional build-in mechanical gearbox lock, made by Construct (prevered) or Bearlock. Total costs about 600 euro, but otherwise no coverage for theft at all. This lock works great, no tracker needed!

I always thought to leave my van with the wheel turned so it couldn't be dragged off so easily but AA man told me I was wasting my time. They'd just drag it onto a low loader ...breaking the axle? is no great shakes to them...the money is in the van!

Hi could you tell me where to locate this item you are talking about .where does it fit to gearbox also is it cable operated or electric and how is it tapped in to gearbox .is there a company supplying these items .thanks Mervyn

https://www.bear-lock.de/
Sorry, I did not find a switch to change in English however you find some intel and pictures.

If they want it they will take it and to be completely honest if they succeed then I don't want it back. I consider good insurance , not necessarily the cheapest, more important.
I think for me it's less about getting it back and more about getting justice and potentially catching folks stealing it.

I think for me it's less about getting it back and more about getting justice and potentially catching folks stealing it.

I disagree with you both.

The first line of defence is deterrence.
If and only if that fails comes recovery intact (unlikely, but more likely with a tracking device).
If and only is that fails comes insurance.
Retribution/revenge/justice (or whatever you want to call it) comes last.

It's a bit like the endless arguments cyclists have over the value of helmets for children. It is far more effective to teach child cyclists to communicate properly through eye contact and appropriate hand signals to other road users that put a helmet on their heads and tell them that they are safe. Effective communication and a helmet is even better, but nothing beats good communication skills for child cyclist safety, and insurance against a child's injury is mostly useless.

Tracking device won't help, because pro thieves supposedly have jamming devices which disable tracking device from broadcasting. Best thing to do is to have combination of several safety systems. And good insurance on top of all that.

According to the police officer who is one of our neighbours trackers are worthwhile. It seems that as the thrives don't know if a tracker us fitted they often move the vehicle to a location a few miles away and then wait a few days to see what happens. If a tracker is fitted then presumably someone will turn up. If not they then take the vehicle away.

But by buying a tracker, all you are doing is helping either the police or the insurance company at your cost. and just like having a burglar alarm and not setting it, you are just giving the insurance companies more reasons to void your claim should something not work.

I know someone who tracked their iPad to the door of the person who stole it, phoned the police and they were not interested, he then said he was going to return with a baseball bat and they said they would be their in 10 minutes, not to retrieve the iPad but to arrest him for threatening behaviour.

If you see your vehicle moving away from this area and call the police they wont have anyone available to deal with it..

I intend to do a number of preventative things to make it very very hard to steal and that way I'll sleep better at night.

... but for £200 I'll buy one anyway, but not £1000

I intend to do a number of preventative things to make it very very hard to steal and that way I'll sleep better at night.
£1000
So, what will you do?

[QUOTE="
but message me ...[/QUOTE]
Well how do I do that. Can't find PM button :/

Back