Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 171 36.9%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 69 14.9%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 223 48.2%

• Total voters
KGCali

KGCali

Retired and still young at heart!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Thanks for that @VW Guru, do you have any official VW reference or documentation that I could give to my local VW Van Centre in Chelmsford about the roof tape recall 75A1, mine is a September 2010 VIN WV2ZZZ7HZBH01XXXX so hopefully covered.

KGCali

KGCali

Retired and still young at heart!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Thanks for that @VW Guru, do you have any official VW reference or documentation that I could give to my local VW Van Centre in Chelmsford about the roof tape recall 75A1, mine is a September 2010 VIN WV2ZZZ7HZBH01XXXX so hopefully covered.
Thanks for all the help @WelshGas I'll let you know what the dealer states when I book it in.

B

bramhuyghe

Vehicle
Just browsing
I have the same problem, they tried to fix it once. But now it is back. I have a 2006 cali and wondering how long this warranty lasts? Would it still be possible to add this to the warranty?

J

jeff16

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I took our 15 plate California in for service and was told that it had been subject to a VW recall for roof issues. I regularly check for signs of corrosion and could not find any but was advised signs had started on one side of the pop up roof. Apparently not bad enough for the body shop and the long wait others have experienced but was something dealers had been authorised to fix. They were a little vague about the process but from what I could gather it involved taking the seal off, rubbing down the area where small bubbles were seen and then covering with some form of protection before replacing/renewing the seal. It looks OK but not sure how effective it will be in the long term.

L

Lorri

T6 204 Ocean
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Took the van in for MOT at Dartford today, was told of an outstanding “recall”
This turned out to be “check paintwork on roof” for problems of blistering reaction between primer and top coat.
Thankfully all is good
We have van in Reflex Silver - is problem with CERTAIN colours ? ?

J

JohnLin

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

Hi All,

Anyone else have blistering paint work on the front pannel of the roof? I'm talking about the metal body pannel thing that meets the windscreen and forms the 1st part of the roof at the front.

There's another thread about this sort of thing, but I think it's a different part of the roof.

The blisters are all along the leading edge with no obvious signs of chipping. The van is only 2.5 years old, so I took it in this weekend (also having the reversing sensors sorted as they have packed in) and ask them to take a look. I will get the verdict as to whether the body work is covered under the 15 year bodywork warranty next week. I assume that if there were chips, the blistering isnt covered. I'll post with their verdict next week.
Yes I have 2011 California, had the corrosion done 3 years ago it was on the panel right at the front of the roof line. Yesterday took it in for some work to be done and was told there is another recall for corrosion under the roof sure enough there was corrosion, waiting to here from VW as to when it will be done. There are only 5 places in the whole country where the work can be done. I live in Southampton my nearest will be Newbury.

H

Harrythecat

VIP Member
I had the front panel of the roof mended in November 2016 and all has been well until lately when I noticed water ingress coming from the driver's side A pillar. A close inspection revealed that the 'flexible' seal at the back of the front section had failed in two places and that seems to be the source of the water given it was happening only in heavy rain when the van was parked.

Fair play to Steve and the team at the Sheffield Van Centre. I took it in this morning and within a few hours he's got it booked to go back to the repair centre, Claridges, in early August and promised me a loan vehicle for the duration. In the interim he's going to try to seal the join because I need to use the van for a trip this month.

Can't fault the VW Van Centre Service but what does worry me is that their seems to be a fair degree of flex in that roof panel and I don't want to be taking the van back every couple of years. We'll see what the solution looks like!

topmonty

topmonty

VIP Member
Check Your Tape !
If you have followed up on the recall notice and had preventative tape applied as I have, check it is still in place and doing what its supposed to. Mine has decided to start coming off already, so back we go again.
Doh. :headbang

A

Alistair Hardy

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Blistering Paintwork Front Roof Pannel

Hi All,

Anyone else have blistering paint work on the front pannel of the roof? I'm talking about the metal body pannel thing that meets the windscreen and forms the 1st part of the roof at the front.

There's another thread about this sort of thing, but I think it's a different part of the roof.

The blisters are all along the leading edge with no obvious signs of chipping. The van is only 2.5 years old, so I took it in this weekend (also having the reversing sensors sorted as they have packed in) and ask them to take a look. I will get the verdict as to whether the body work is covered under the 15 year bodywork warranty next week. I assume that if there were chips, the blistering isnt covered. I'll post with their verdict next week.
Hi Rob,
I took my 15 plate T5 Cali in for a service at main dealer last week.
When I picked it up they said the roofs had become a check and recall issue now and they were booking our vehicle in as a matter of course as they'd found some corrosion. They have a 5 month back log to deal with and it will be away for three weeks in the winter.
I assume it's the same for all vehicles.
Good luck
Al Hardy

owen_h

owen_h

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Adding another one (2012 Beach) to the 'needs to go off to a bodyshop for roof fix' list.
While in for service & MOT yesterday (all good on that front at least) Breeze (Totton) checked the elevating roof edge as part of the campaign and found bubbling. Needs to go to a bodyshop for the repair as more than they can deal with apparently. Only timescale I was given is 'likely to be quite a while'.
Anyone know how many bodyshops are approved for the more extensive roof edge repair? Do VW allocate to the nearest or one with least backlog?

This will be the 2nd rub down & repaint of the elevating roof edge. It was also done back at the end of 2014 at the same time as the front panel replacement.

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Seems to be quite a few of us with same issue and same history!
I was initially told 2 years wait!!!!! Dealership (Listers Cov) hassled VWCS and apparently it will be in next 6 - 8 weeks or so but it has to go all the way up to North Scotland !!!!!!

Bellesca

Bellesca

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Add another one to the list. Service at Heritage in Bristol and the recall check of the roof...argghhh. Expect a phone call in December at the earliest and at least a two year wait to fix it.

daz60

daz60

The Mighty Quinn
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Booked my 2013 Cali in for a service with VW Birmingham and was told there was a recall on it for corrosion ?. Goes in on Friday, let you know where they are looking

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Listers just phoned to say cali going in 3rd Sept for roof
BUT all they can loan is a Caddy or Kombi whilst it's gone (to Scotland!!!!)
Told them NOT acceptable...I need a replacement Cali ...we shall see what happens now...they are going back to VW
no way I am going to Busfest in a Caddy:mad:

J

Jukebox70

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I too took my 2015 in for a service, they told me about the recall. They took the rubber seal off and found some very small amounts of blistering, then only half replaced seal, literally it was just dangling there, I was furious, when I called them to report it, I was told the mechanic was very apologetic. How can you not put back what you take off?

jjhogg

jjhogg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I've also just taken my 2012 California Beach into the Bristol Heritage approved dealer to see what can be done about the corrosion and and they were extremely helpful and said it will be covered under the recall warranty. I was told to expect up to a 2 year wait but i'm glad its covered.

HTML