Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 179 36.8%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 74 15.2%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 234 48.0%

• Total voters
BEETS

BEETS

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
All

I have been seeking advice from a Metallurgist how says that we need to join together to fight VW.. See below the exact words..

A "class action" by a large number of vehicle owners acting simultaneously would probably be your best chance of success, as VW will simply say that you have not met the criteria for a claim.#

This is from a business that has fought many vehicle claims...

Has anybody got any ideas how we can pull this together... I'm willing to fight for a 12 year warranty.

Who's in?

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
All

I have been seeking advice from a Metallurgist how says that we need to join together to fight VW.. See below the exact words..

A "class action" by a large number of vehicle owners acting simultaneously would probably be your best chance of success, as VW will simply say that you have not met the criteria for a claim.#

This is from a business that has fought many vehicle claims...

Has anybody got any ideas how we can pull this together... I'm willing to fight for a 12 year warranty.

Who's in?
I didn’t think Class Actions existed in the UK. From what I read we have a more complex process……. https://www.emmlegal.com/publications/class-actions/

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Any ideas then… ?
To be honest I think most of us have had the corrosion issue hanging over are heads for so long that we’re resigned to the fact that it’s just a matter of time!
I’m sure there’s a member of the legal profession on here who might be able to help.

BEETS

BEETS

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
To be honest I think most of us have had the corrosion issue hanging over are heads for so long that we’re resigned to the fact that it’s just a matter of time!
I’m sure there’s a member of the legal profession on here who might be able to help.
Yeah, good call… I’m already on my second van… my first van started to corrode within 12m… This van started after 4 years… I’m lost too without any proper legal support… I’m with the ombudsman at the moment but I need technical backup from a metallurgist to nail it down…

BEETS

BEETS

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
All, I have just had a reply from the Ombudsman and he sounds very sympathetic to my case... He needs me collect some technical knowledge that proves that this defect was present at time of sale, ie the defect was always going to happen...

Has anyone got anything from a professional metallurgist????

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
All, I have just had a reply from the Ombudsman and he sounds very sympathetic to my case... He needs me collect some technical knowledge that proves that this defect was present at time of sale, ie the defect was always going to happen...

Has anyone got anything from a professional metallurgist????
@SusiBus has been involved since the early days and might be able to help. I think the type of corrosion is well understood so it should be easy enough to find something on line that helps.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The ombudsman has no teeth whatsoever and will only be a complete waste of your time unless you're happy to spend endless time keeping them all happily employed all for an ultimate maximum award of £200 with no right to appeal against their final conclusion.

Ozzy Pete

Ozzy Pete

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
The ombudsman has no teeth whatsoever and will only be a complete waste of your time unless you're happy to spend endless time keeping them all happily employed all for an ultimate maximum award of £200 with no right to appeal against their final conclusion.
I agree with you 100%. I had the same problem with a Mercedes where it had to be resprayed TWICE with back to metal resprays.The ombudsman found I had no case because Mercedes and the Mercedes paintshop didn’t refuse to do the work even though it devalued the car quite considerably. I wasn’t prepared to wait for sprayjob Number 3 so just got rid with a massive loss.

BEETS

BEETS

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
@SusiBus has been involved since the early days and might be able to help. I think the type of corrosion is well understood so it should be easy enough to find something on line that helps.
Thanks SusiBus

I need something written by a professional that ties the defect back to manufacturing defect... I can find page after page of speculation but need something that VW cannot deny...

I am fighting for everyone who has suffered premature corrosion and want the warranty extending to 10 years..

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I agree with you 100%. I had the same problem with a Mercedes where it had to be resprayed TWICE with back to metal resprays.The ombudsman found I had no case because Mercedes and the Mercedes paintshop didn’t refuse to do the work even though it devalued the car quite considerably. I wasn’t prepared to wait for sprayjob Number 3 so just got rid with a massive loss.
They are just there to create well paid civil service jobs and placate the masses! They are certainly not on the side of the consumer, the bank I had complaint with told me all this in advance and offered me £200 before I referred it to the ombudsman. I refused and was eventually then awarded the max £200 by the ombudsman but it was so badly handled, my MP (Nicky Morgan) took up the case to the head ombudsman on my behalf and she too got nowhere further with it! Toothless and untouchable!

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy

We spent many months fighting this issue between January 2013 and August 2014. When we recieved the letter offering "an addition 3 years goodwill paint warranty. Making 6 years in total from the date of registration. No cut off dates were included in the letter, or reference to model i.e. T5/T5.1. No legal or technical assistance was involved, just perseverance.
Owners with vehicles older than 6 years have tried to make claims, but to my knowledge have been unsuccessful.
The relevant letter was posted recently. If you want to chat, feel free to PM me.