Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 180 36.7%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 74 15.1%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 237 48.3%

• Total voters
sbmcd

sbmcd

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does anyone have any recent experience with Audi Glasgow? Our T5.1 needs both the front cap and the under-seal work doing. I've been told they are now the only bodyshop VW van centres are allowed to use for these repairs, but previous comments about them on here are mixed / not filling me with confidence! I'm also not sure I want the van coming out of their workshop and all the way back down to the East Midlands without me looking at it first (I can see it being a pig to get it all the way back up there again if there is anything wrong, in terms of time and logistics). Thanks!
They did my roof, fitted a new seal, the repair has been fine so far but they did bond the new seal to the roof. There pros and cons to this of course, the sealant adhesive does exclude water so removes one of the essential events that cause the galvanic corrosion but it also means you cannot remove the seal to inspect it. I keep a close eye on mine around the seal edge and it's been fine so far.

R

roadrunner 45

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I would (and probably will in the next few years) find a classic car restoration company, who have experience with aluminium bodywork and simply get it treated and resprayed. I would not let VW near it with an angle grinder!
Thanks for your reply, i agree with your view and think that is the best option , my only challenge is to try and find a good company to carry out the work. Do you know off any companies who you have heard of or where i am best to start my search?I was hoping someone on this forum might have been down this route and have some companies they have used with good results.

R

roadrunner 45

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I would definitely go down the independent route. It may cost you a few quid but at least you know it’s been done properly and not butchered to death.
Thanks for your reply, Do you know of any companies that would be able to do the work , that is my only concern going down the independent route is that i choose a decent company to carry out the work properly.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Thanks for your reply, i agree with your view and think that is the best option , my only challenge is to try and find a good company to carry out the work. Do you know off any companies who you have heard of or where i am best to start my search?I was hoping someone on this forum might have been down this route and have some companies they have used with good results.
I’ve no recommendations but when I need my roof doing I will start by contacting restorers and prestige car workshops.
Another option could be to have the front cap wrapped but I’ve had no experience of wrapping!
If anyone does find a decent workshop they could end up with a decent amount of business!

BerndRos

BerndRos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just had mine done by VW……it came back with the isolite tent ripped down, the bendy light broken, the sliding hatch broken. Complained like hell and they are getting VW Hereford to fix the items.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Just had mine done by VW……it came back with the isolite tent ripped down, the bendy light broken, the sliding hatch broken. Complained like hell and they are getting VW Hereford to fix the items.
Who did the work?

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
@calikev

this issue has been subject to tens of thousands of posts on this site, an issue that has affected the California since early production of the T5 and has Continued to be an issue for the entire production run.

This website has at least two dedicated super threads specifically related to this issue affecting T5 & T6 and many more threads and discussion on related issues such as roof seal rusting etc.

Would it possible to publish the results from the poll on the top banner of this thread please ?

ie this poll

D283674D-4D6F-4B01-A057-2A64602F7E14.jpeg

Rozzie50

Rozzie50

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Still waiting to hear about mine. Got a letter YEARS ago. Think I won’t bother. It’s still minimal and too many horror stories.

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Still waiting to hear about mine. Got a letter YEARS ago. Think I won’t bother. It’s still minimal and too many horror stories.
Did you have your Roof seal inspected ?
have you had the roof seal replaced after the corrosion was identified?

Rozzie50

Rozzie50

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Did you have your Roof seal inspected ?
have you had the roof seal replaced after the corrosion was identified?
No. Nothing has been inspected or completed. It was identified. I reported it. Got a letter in 2014 I think. Have heard nothing since.

Perfectos

Perfectos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
For reference