Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California - T6.1 ONLY - Roof corrosion General Discussion.

My guess is that it’s not the roof corrosion but rusted inner of the black sealing strip/rubber. That’s not say that the rusty steel hasn’t damaged the paint and allowed corrosion to start.
Have you had the VW “recall” to check that the roof has a tape fitted between the paint and seal?
No didn't think I needed to on a 6.1 :headbang
Had a another look and can definately see corrosion in the seal.
Not good!

20220606_172756.jpg

No didn't think I needed to on a 6.1 :headbang
Had a another look and can definately see corrosion in the seal.
Not good!

View attachment 94114
Assuming you have your services done by VW they should carry out the seal check when it’s serviced rather than issuing a recall, without you having to ask (although I don’t know if that applies to T6.1s).

Assuming you have your services done by VW they should carry out the seal check when it’s serviced rather than issuing a recall, without you having to ask (although I don’t know if that applies to T6.1s).
Its due an oil service in a few weeks so i'll definately be having a word.
Along with the SOS fault and bowden cable recall.

The rust is from the reinforcement in the rubber,
the rust molecules migrate through the painted surface, meet with the aluminium & cause a BI metalic reaction.

get the seal off and a new one fitted ASAP , the dealer will replace it with a new seal.
if it were me I would pull the seal away gently, photograph it, clean the area thoroughly, repair any damaged paintwork (primer, touch up paint & clear coat)
if no repair necessary simply apply some easily removable tape, such as sellotape to the affected area ASAP to block any further rust contamination of the paintwork whilst awaiting the new seal (remove tape before it goes in for the new seal)
if the rust has contaminated the paint, fall out remove may remove the staining from the rust.

if left this will develop into bubbling paint and roof corrosion.

i a, on my fourth roof seal since 2018 (new van) :eek:

i Check the seal every six months, dry, clean and apply polish to the entire edge of the roof.

VW are fully aware of the dire situation since the T5 and have chosen to do nothing to prevent the issue from occurrin.

there is a VW dealer wide work shop action which requires dealers to replace faulty seals whilst under warranty.
All dealer should be aware of it.
Report back

Last edited:
In reality the dealers don’t check the seal unless specifically asked, even then I doubt they have a really good look to “find“ the damaged seal

For those that need to point the dealer in the right direction for the workshop action, this thread includes the details (VW Gurus post )

and this one (my post)

Had the new roof seal fitted today. It looks like Stevie Wonder did it.
Absolutely wavy everywhere, both front corners don't look right and when I put the roof up both rear corners fell off!
Wished I had raised the roof at the dealers to check before I drove all the way home.
Oh and 1 rear corner has the steel reinforcing sticking through the rubber so that will be rusting away in no time :headbang

20220727_175313.jpg

20220727_193218.jpg

Had the new roof seal fitted today. It looks like Stevie Wonder did it.
Absolutely wavy everywhere, both front corners don't look right and when I put the roof up both rear corners fell off!
Wished I had raised the roof at the dealers to check before I drove all the way home.
Oh and 1 rear corner has the steel reinforcing sticking through the rubber so that will be rusting away in no time :headbang

View attachment 96799

View attachment 96800

I can't be sure, but most door/tailgate/boot seals fitted to cars during production are fitted with some sealant, but are also loose (not crimped tight). A set of rollers mounted on production tool is then applied to crimp them on. You can pull them off gently and reuse them after then have been squeezed together

It varies company to company, but new replacement seals for service are normally supplied pre-squeezed to replicate what would have happened to the seal had it been applied with the rollers and can be called tap-on seals.

Looks as if this seal hasn't been squeezed, I have never been able to get hold of the California section of the workshop manual, so i don't know the roof replacement seal process, but given the nature of the seal roller kit, i can't imagine it is something the dealer would be allowed.

As always, this is not a definitive answer, but might be something to consider asking them, i.e. should they have crimped it on or have they ordered the service part.

Andrew

I can't be sure, but most door/tailgate/boot seals fitted to cars during production are fitted with some sealant, but are also loose (not crimped tight). A set of rollers mounted on production tool is then applied to crimp them on. You can pull them off gently and reuse them after then have been squeezed together

It varies company to company, but new replacement seals for service are normally supplied pre-squeezed to replicate what would have happened to the seal had it been applied with the rollers and can be called tap-on seals.

Looks as if this seal hasn't been squeezed, I have never been able to get hold of the California section of the workshop manual, so i don't know the roof replacement seal process, but given the nature of the seal roller kit, i can't imagine it is something the dealer would be allowed.

As always, this is not a definitive answer, but might be something to consider asking them, i.e. should they have crimped it on or have they ordered the service part.

Andrew
Thanks,
Ive emailed the dealer with photos and await their response. I had to push the corners back on so I could close the roof. Theres nothing griping the roof and I expect they will fall off again if I raise it.

We had a new seal put on our roof after it was resprayed under the then newly introduced extended warranty scheme.
It had sealant applied all around, except a few gaps at the front, just where you don't want them.
I complained at the time at the workshop, as l went over it closely, as it was one of the first to be repaired under the VW scheme. I said I wanted to be able to remove the seal in the future. They said the repair procedure guidelines issued by VW instructed them to use mastic.
I must admit, we had had months of sorting out this roof corrosion issue with VW. We had had enough, and didn't take it any further.

Your replacement seal fitting looks appalling. Not even cleaned before fitting. Now you've got the inconvenience of getting your Cali to the dealers. Get the dealer to collect and return the vehicle.
We accept too much of this sub standard service from VW dealers.

Im shocked at firstly how quickly you have discovered this issue on your T6.1 & secondly how shabby the repair job has been!
A few days ago I cleaned my roof thoroughly with roof up too as I dont always clean the roof when I clean the main vehicle & although I checked along the seal edges I didnt actually lift them up - not sure whether I should be lifting the seal up as would have thought this might exacerbate the problem - such a shame we have to put up with these issues!

So the dealer has ordered another new seal and has offered to collect and return my van.
Iets see how attempt number 2 goes!

We had a new seal put on our roof after it was resprayed under the then newly introduced extended warranty scheme.
It had sealant applied all around, except a few gaps at the front, just where you don't want them.
I complained at the time at the workshop, as l went over it closely, as it was one of the first to be repaired under the VW scheme. I said I wanted to be able to remove the seal in the future. They said the repair procedure guidelines issued by VW instructed them to use mastic.
I must admit, we had had months of sorting out this roof corrosion issue with VW. We had had enough, and didn't take it any further.

Your replacement seal fitting looks appalling. Not even cleaned before fitting. Now you've got the inconvenience of getting your Cali to the dealers. Get the dealer to collect and return the vehicle.
We accept too much of this sub standard service from VW dealers.
When we had the dreaded lurgy I didn’t know what to expect. Sinclairs in Gorseinon did it and he said the the procedure was to strip back the paint under the rubber down to the bare aluminium then treat it with whatever VW had supplied fit a new rubber seal glueing it into position. This was done around 4 years ago and I check above the new seal on a regular basis and I can absolutely no signs of any corrosion above the seal. So far I can say I’m completely happy with the way they did the repair.

Hello. Could I resurrect this thread with my T6.1 query please…. Does this look like the dreaded corrosion please?

Thanks

IMG_1171.jpeg

Hello. Could I resurrect this thread with my T6.1 query please…. Does this look like the dreaded corrosion please?

Thanks

View attachment 121310
That is the roof seal rusting, if you are lucky it’s just the seal pull the seal back clean the rust off and apply some tape to prevent the rusty seal from making contact with any part of the roof.
Get the seal replaced asap
if it’s at the vack ?
there is no protective tape fitted to the front edge to stop the seal making contact with tge edge of the roof . Get it cleaned of dry and taped Urgently

Last edited:
That is the roof seal rusting, if you are lucky it’s just the seal pull the seal back clean the rust off and apply some tape to prevent the rusty seal from making contact with any part of tge roof.
Get the seal replaced asap
if it’s at the vack ?
there is no protective tape fitted to the front edge to stop the seal making contact with tge edge of the roof . Get it cleaned of dry and taped Urgently

Thank you both.

It’s the front edge.

Dealer (SMG) has been allegedly trying to get warranty approval (for 6 months) on the basis of roof corrosion. Sounds they could actually fix it themselves! Will get back onto them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi Max

All dealer were us dude with instructions from VW to indie t roof seals and replace them under warranty is any damage is found .

It may not be roof corrosion yet, but iv they don’t change tge seal it is guaranteed to become roof corrosio.

are you saying you’ve had that issue for six months and the desker has been aware ?

offer to pay for the seal to be replaced circa £100 if VW will not accept the seal under warranty (Vw will accept under warranty)

I cannot stress enough the need to prevent the rust making contact with the roof

hi Max

All dealer were us dude with instructions from VW to indie t roof seals and replace them under warranty is any damage is found .

It may not be roof corrosion yet, but iv they don’t change tge seal it is guaranteed to become roof corrosio.

are you saying you’ve had that issue for six months and the desker has been aware ?

offer to pay for the seal to be replaced circa £100 if VW will not accept the seal under warranty (Vw will accept under warranty)

I cannot stress enough the need to prevent the rust making contact with the roof

Yes exactly that. They are treating it as roof corrosion and saying it’s with VW for approval. Will get onto them today.

Thank you both.

It’s the front edge.

Dealer (SMG) has been allegedly trying to get warranty approval (for 6 months) on the basis of roof corrosion. Sounds they could actually fix it themselves! Will get back onto them.

There is a lot of information on the string below. @Perfectos is very wise (as well as experienced from multiple dealer failures) on this subject.

My VW dealer let me down but I was well looked after subsequently by a VW approved bodyshop (under warranty).

Post in thread 'Avoiding roof corrosion?'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/avoiding-roof-corrosion.22428/post-641856

Yes exactly that. They are treating it as roof corrosion and saying it’s with VW for approval. Will get onto them today.

The seal is not the roof,

it is the seal failing that causes roof corrosion.
ALL DEALERS know about the seal issue & to say otherwise would be tantamount to lying.

VW official guidance has been provided to ALL dealers and is a known issue since the T5 !
if your dealer does not know about it ! Find another dealer asap

Thank you both.

It’s the front edge.

Mine was on the front edge + bubbling on corners of main roof. We were told 5years ago by SMG during a service that it had come up in the system as a recall so van put on the waiting list for repair.

….5 years on. Van still not repaired. Queried during last service to be told that they cant find any details on the system (”computer says no”!), so was told they now need to contact starship enterprise / VW Head office. Chased them…we will get back to you asap - no return call again from dealer.

Have since sold the van.

Feel sorry for all those with new leaky roofs once warranty has expired. Getting VW to accept responsibility and resolve issues is like p@ssing in the wind.

Good luck.

The seal is not the roof,

it is the seal failing that causes roof corrosion.
ALL DEALERS know about the seal issue & to say otherwise would be tantamount to lying.

VW official guidance has been provided to ALL dealers and is a known issue since the T5 !
if your dealer does not know about it ! Find another dealer asap
As I say the @Perfectos previous postings were invaluable for me - the only comment I would add is that when I quoted ‘Workshop Action 75A1’ to my dealer in 2023 they told me that this was a different older issue, by implication on the T5 (and perhaps T6). So they were unable to process a T6.1 warranty claim under that workshop action. I mention in case of an avoidance strategy by a VW dealer.

As @Perfectos says this general problem is well known to VW: even if it is categorised under different headings.

If you possibly can, get a bodyshop to deal with this, if under warranty, and have the replacement seal really nice and warm to avoid the steel reinforcement breaking through the rubber covering: thereby starting the same fault again. My VW approved bodyshop taped the aluminium front edge with the same tape that VW specify for the side and back.

If out of warranty I would have done the repair and seal replacement myself.

In future I will check the roof edge annually when warm by complete removal of the seal, with Lanoguard of similar then lightly coated on the inside of the seal and then left to dry off (otherwise it may be too slippery to stay in position - particularly true for a new seal that has not yet moulded to the roof profile) before replacing.

Last edited:
Back