Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T7 Concept Debut - Dusseldorf

• Thread starter BeerhowlerSouthWest
  • Start date
So if VW produce a Cali based on Multivan and Westfalia produce a better product based on the Tranny then it spells the end of the Cali?
That said, there’ll be hundreds will buy it in ignorance of what went before.

Remember VW will have the best designers, marketers & automotive economists in the industry, they're not going to kill a cash cow. This is what makes me think they're giving that impression then they'll pull the rabbit out of the hat....

I am not employee, designer or anything other affiliated to vw. Just an other customer buying the brand because I like it.
Maybe I read to many threads and saw to many youtube videos to draw wrong conclusions. Let’s just hope I am wrong.

Just watched this after the California Chris sizing video. At first I thought I liked it. I like cooking outside option. Nice details and I like the idea of a hybrid.

But then he showed the beds which both look crazy narrow. It’s clearly not wide enough for two people comfortably. Maybe 20cm narrower. Who ever thought ’what I want is a norrower bed’ in a California?

IMG_4298.jpeg

Also fridge looks good but then you realise there appears to be no cupboards to put food or pans in!? And the boot looks tiny. Keeping my 2008 T5.

Last edited:
Just watched this after the California Chris sizing video. At first I thought I liked it. I like cooking outside option. Nice details and I like the idea of a hybrid.

But then he showed the beds which both look crazy narrow. It’s clearly not wide enough for two people comfortably. Maybe 20cm narrower. Who ever thought ’what I want is a norrower bed’ in a California?

View attachment 120292

Also fridge looks good but then you realise there appears to be no cupboards to put food or pans in!? And to boot looks tiny. Keeping my 2008 T5.
Exactly what put me off straight away. Much narrower than the T6.1 beds, and they’re not exactly big! Also too long to fit in a normal car parking space now and yet less room inside than the already cosy (but suitable) T6.1.

View attachment 120292

Also fridge looks good but then you realise there appears to be no cupboards to put food or pans in!? And to boot looks tiny. Keeping my 2008 T5.
The MV is a compromise as a Campervan in almost every respect. Its more a day van with short stay potential for 1-2 people. Of course as you mention its main draw is the hybrid engine option. As a family campervan its a total miss.

Thought about this a little bit more. If I ever replace my T5 it would be due to retirement and children leaving home - which for me could coincide. So I could live without the roof bed. Also switching fuels may then be a good idea.

Also my wife and I virtually never cook or wash up in the van and I have often thought we could live with a beach layout. We camp in warm places! If I don’t need a roof bed I certainly don’t want to pay for a pop top.

I think what I would like - in 7 years time - is an ID Buzz with a good downstairs bed, blinds and a big pull out tray at the back like a certain aftermarket drawer. On this it would have tough, removable made-to-measure boxes that you could store whatever you want in. Perhaps one of these could be a powered cool box. I don’t need a tap or sink really.

Chairs in the boot, a table in the door and keeping the awning would be nice.

I suppose that’s an ID Buzz laid out like those early Type 2 campervans.

Who do I write to? VW or Westfalia!??

Oh yeah and 300 miles electric range.

Last edited:
Thought about this a little bit more. If I ever replace my T5 it would be due to retirement and children leaving home - which for me could coincide. So I could live without the roof bed. Also switching fuels may then be a good idea.

Also my wife and I virtually never cook or wash up in the van and I have often thought we could live with a beach layout. We camp in warm places! If I don’t need a roof bed I certainly don’t want to pay for a pop top.

I think what I would like - in 7 years time - is an ID Buzz with a good downstairs bed, blinds and a big pull out tray at the back like a certain aftermarket drawer. On this it would have tough, removable made-to-measure boxes that you could store whatever you want in. Perhaps one of these could be a powered cool box. I don’t need a tap or sink really.

Chairs in the boot, a table in the door and keeping the awning would be nice.

I suppose that’s an ID Buzz laid out like those early Type 2 campervans.

Who do I write to? VW or Westfalia!??

Oh yeah and 300 miles electric range.
I can follow the rationale of that, but you might miss being able to stand up. Our previous van was a conversion with no pop top. We managed but it was a pain having to stoop down low when getting dressed, cooking or just moving about. Being stuck in the van for hours on end on rainy days wasn't much fun. It was a revelation being able to stand up in the Cali - I don't think we'd want to go back to bumped heads and cricked necks.

I can follow the rationale of that, but you might miss being able to stand up. Our previous van was a conversion with no pop top. We managed but it was a pain having to stoop down low when getting dressed, cooking or just moving about. Being stuck in the van for hours on end on rainy days wasn't much fun. It was a revelation being able to stand up in the Cali - I don't think we'd want to go back to bumped heads and cricked necks.
Possibly but after owning our van for 15 years I still constantly forget that I can stand up. Maybe one of those little pop up bits in the middle.

Last edited:
Back