Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California Vs Motorhome

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Changing the subject, It's amazing how many of us ex-motorhomers have changed to Cali's, in theory it should be the other way round ( Cali first then change up to full sized motorhome) We have had two motorhomes both X250 based aswell and they were harldy ever used due to the size and not being very practical for the odd last minute weekend away. Also they spent the entire winter on the drive taking up room and getting damp. Best thing we ever did was to get a cali.

Re:

We had a smallish Burstner Ixeo it674 with the drop down roof bed, which we liked a lot.

The garage under the double across the back was great for bikes etc, & we could get it in 'most' Pay&Dispay bays if there was a grassed area the back could over-hang, as was only 6.75m long. Have to say we didn't suffer any damp issues though as it was very well put together.

However as you say, it sat a lot of the year, and for longer trips I ended up towing a small car on a braked A frame as even a small coach-built is not good in town.

The Cali 4motion DSG will be my daily driver as the MH, and my (much loved) FL2 HSE auto have now been sold. In fact I am surprised how quickly & easily they both disappeared :eek:

Re:

We did exactly the same, we used to have the Motorhome and a car on the drive with double Insurance, tax, etc ....( not to mention depreciation) Now we use the Cali all the time as our full time vehicle. Insurance on our car and MH was around £800 combined, plus road tax, now we have one lot of road tax and our insurance is less than £250. Its a no-brainer really.

I must be old, or a country bumpkin (maybe both :oops: ) as the insurance for my FL2 is only £325pa inc off roading, & the MH with Comfort was £225pa :lol:

The car has suffered depreciation but not massively in general terms as I bought it S/H when the market was severely depressed 3 years ago, and sold it privately (in winter). The MH, again we were really lucky with. We bought it from a dealer who I don't really think they knew what they had in an Ixeo. It seemed odd to them & didn't price it well (for them), I sold it privately in August and lost just under a grand in 18 months :shock: .

TBH we were very close to getting another Burstner Ixeo, just shorter with fixed bunks across the back, but my car was due for replacement and a newish FL2 HSE auto to replace the one we have is well over £30k.

So we decided to give the Cali a go. We also even considered going back to a Disco 4 & caravan.

Whether we have made the right decision for us only time will tell. If we had a decent MH dealer nearer to us we may have made a different decision, I don't know.

At the end of the day though financials colour any decision on vehicles, and the residuals on Cali's seem spectacular compared to almost any other .

Have had to sell My California for a Motorhome as needed the garage for the bikes.......enjoyed the cali but hoping to enjoy the Motorhome now.....(with toilet) :)

Back