Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW caused my issue?

Pro moochers

Pro moochers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Recently had cruise control fitted at a main dealer.
When I picked it up, the heater icon was showing on the control panel and the leisure battery wouldn’t charge via the engine or 240v mains hook up.
VW said there’s no way the cruise control installation would cause this issue so, I just paid hundreds for a new “BCM” some sort of control module in the dash.

Collected my van today after having a new BCM and they’ve now killed my cruise control!
It no longer works and I have an exclamation mark where the mileage should be.

Where do I stand?
I’m guessing they’ll never own up to it as it’s tough to prove.
f51bdf258f714a1e8cdb04b264116675.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi so when your cruise control was fitted the bcm (body control module) would have been coded for cruise control if using the genuine vw kit with the control on the indicator stalk. If coded properly using the vw diagnostic machine then the data that your Cali now has cruise control would have been sent to the German servers and your PR (production Run) numbers would have been changed automatically, meaning if a part of your vehicle had an issue in the future say the engine control unit or the bcm when a dealer installs a new unit all the coding for that vehicle is pulled from the servers and the control unit being replaced is put to the stored configuration. If the cruise control was fitted but the correct coding process was bypassed then your new bcm with have had the original factory coding downloaded which is why your cruise control is in operative. My suspicion is that your vehicle never had the cruise properly coded as for a period of time we could not get genuine retro fit cruise control or even order it due to a serious issue with the system and we all had to fit a non genuine eye sore of a system and screw it to the cowling. As has been said go back to your dealer and tell them you want your cruise control correctly coded in.

Hope all that makes sense it’s been the end of a hard week and I’ve had a few G&t’s

Insist the cruise is fully corrected at the dealers expense, with original vw parts (as factory) and the cost of the new BCM module is credited back. If not report the dealer the Vwuk for breaching franchise contract ( fitting non standard parts under the guise of original VW and causing an failure of original equipment and failing to log material change to vehicle original specification which affect factory specification) ( I.e. Bodge Job)

Insist the cruise is fully corrected at the dealers expense, with original vw parts (as factory) and the cost of the new BCM module is credited back. If not report the dealer the Vwuk for breaching franchise contract ( fitting non standard parts under the guise of original VW and causing an failure of original equipment and failing to log material change to vehicle original specification which affect factory specification) ( I.e. Bodge Job)
The mechanics/technicians job is getting more difficult as time goes on, those salesmen/managers in the other side of the building with their commissions and clean hands couldn't even begin to sort these problems out.
I don't envy the guys who are tasked with these problems.

Agee the techs job is made impossible by the franchise managements never ending goal concentration on the end figures £££o_O

I’ve attached a picture of the exclamation mark above, never seen anything like it in my life!
I do sympathise with engineers and sales people but in my opinion, this is too much of a coincidence.
Think I’ll be best emailing my thoughts to the dealership, let them absorb the information and see what they have to offer.

Just go back to them in person and tell the whole story.
You wanted cruise control, so they installed it, and it worked. But you went home with another problem that they have caused, installing the cruise control. You took the van back, charged you for another piece, the BCM, that solved part of the problems caused by installing the cruise control, but now the cruise control doesn't work anymore with yet another problem. Ask them what they will do about this. FOR FREE!!

Have you paid any of the other bills yet?

Apparently, when installing the new BCM, they did a factory reset which meant the cruise stopped working as it didn’t leave the factory with this option.
Van is back in VW tomorrow as the cruise control is now fixed, but the BCM isn’t working again!!

Apparently, when installing the new BCM, they did a factory reset which meant the cruise stopped working as it didn’t leave the factory with this option.
Van is back in VW tomorrow as the cruise control is now fixed, but the BCM isn’t working again!!

What are they doing over there?

And they hope you think you don't know what you are doing, and paying along?

Hi if done properly the pr codes would have been changed at the factory when the cruise control was fitted then if in the future i.e the situation you have now a bcm needs to be replaced then the factory coding/software download would have included the cruise control coding. You say the bcm is now not working again what exactly is the problem with your Cali now ?

Cruise control was retro fitted by main dealer recently, not in the factory.

Current problem is, leisure doesn’t charge whether it’s via 240v mains or via the engine.

Cruise control was retro fitted by main dealer recently, not in the factory.

Current problem is, leisure doesn’t charge whether it’s via 240v mains or via the engine.

If the cruise was correctly fitted and coded using the vw workshop equipment it changes the stored data at the factory so it’s irrelevant if it was factory or dealer fitted the PR numbers at the factory world of changed if carried out properly by the dealer.

I will check my wiring diagrams in the morning but I’m 99.9% sure the bcm has absolutely nothing to do with the leisure battery charging from the 240volt because if it did then your main battery would go flat when camping due to the current draw from the bcm

WOW!
Sounds like an interesting conversation may be had soon then.
Thanks for looking into it for me

Good morning I have just looked on the wiring diagrams and the only connection to the bcm is to activate the split charge relay when the engine is running. As for the 240v hook up there is absolutely no connection between the bcm and the charging system. When you start your Cali is there a loud click from under your passenger seat ?

Good morning I have just looked on the wiring diagrams and the only connection to the bcm is to activate the split charge relay when the engine is running. As for the 240v hook up there is absolutely no connection between the bcm and the charging system. When you start your Cali is there a loud click from under your passenger seat ?
There is a bit set in the BCM to enable the relay. I wonder if it is set?
09-Byte17.png

There is a bit set in the BCM to enable the relay. I wonder if it is set?
View attachment 48236
Hi @Loz if they have factory reset the unit as they say they have then it should have been in the factory download. My suspicion is they don’t know what there up to. As you know that would only effect the activation of the split charge relay for alternator charging and does not effect the 240v hook up charging.

Hi @Loz if they have factory reset the unit as they say they have then it should have been in the factory download. My suspicion is they don’t know what there up to. As you know that would only effect the activation of the split charge relay for alternator charging and does not effect the 240v hook up charging.
yea, I expect the plug has not been put back properly in the battery charger if the had the rear battery out of a full disconnection. Sometimes this goes unnoticed for a while.

No loud click when starting up.

I’ve just called to progress it, they’re struggling to fix it as they say the BCM could be knocking the cruise control out, due to it being retrofitted.
Even though it was them who retrofitted it for me and, I paid them for a comparability test before they carried out the work.

They’re currently setting it up so the split charge relay works and the cruise control doesn’t, they’re then going to investigate next week

Back