Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW drilled a hole in my roof

N

Nicholas1987

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
After having my Cali for 6 months I notice two of the fixing where missing to attach the safety net. So I contacted my VW van Center, and they ordered the parts and said it would be done under warranty as they should of been factory fitted.
Almost one year later we finally hooked up the safety net whilst camping, one fitting pulled right out the head liner along with the screw and left a hole in which I could worryingly see day light through. VW had drilled holes right through the aluminium roof rails on both sides off the roof to tap in the screws and just thumped a bit of epoxy filler in to seal it. I have booked it back in for next week and over the phone the said they can’t find any evidence of carrying out the work which is convenient.
Any idea what I should do about this?

F7412247-396B-4BAB-9038-9E62F3773A02.jpeg

012C86C3-8D30-4CAC-901B-EEE3753D8735.jpeg

Oh dear! Any conversation through email? Down here - I heard - any official VW Commercial garage could check with the VIN number what was done/booked (in case of resale) with any VW vehicle?
Maybe give them again a call/try to talk to the „salesman“, who sold it to you?
Keep us posted and I cross fingers!

Their lack of documentation is their error not yours. You cannot be expected to ensure their paperwork and processes are followed, and you followed it by the letter (raising it, leaving it with them, and picking it up).

They have a duty of care for your vehicle, and that includes ensuring their paperwork is up to date. If they have failed to do so, that doesnt rest on you.

Thank you for your comments. I know the exact date it went it so I’m hoping there won’t be too much of a flight.
It’s just gutting, here we are now in the middle of summer after months of lock down where we couldn’t go anywhere and now iv got water coming into roof due to some shoddy job so can’t really use the vehicle.

That sounds terrible. I hope you get a resolution.
Just as a thought, so you don’t lose the summer, would a topper help you out? They can usually be on in a few minutes and should stop any water ingress?

Thank you for your comments. I know the exact date it went it so I’m hoping there won’t be too much of a flight.
It’s just gutting, here we are now in the middle of summer after months of lock down where we couldn’t go anywhere and now iv got water coming into roof due to some shoddy job so can’t really use the vehicle.
Put some silicone over those holes and enjoy your Campervan. They should replace the whole roof, but I would wait until you’re not planning any trips. Good luck.

Your dealer would have claimed repair cost back from VW so there should be a trail somewhere. Your record/history should be online. An example I had my cambelt changed under warranty at 18months old. When I had my year 3 service the dealer had the belt change on the paperwork for the next year I question that due to it being replaced under warranty they looked up my van on the VW system which confirms the and repair later date for when change next due.

Did they happen to give you something on that particular date? A receipt or so, explaining what was done? (Sorry if this is a stupid question). If you can dig up something like that, then it’s a non-issue as to whether they worked on it or not (in their own eyes). Best of luck. Hope you get this sorted.

Very sad thing , sure if they needed to order the hooks it must be on the reciept and charged for work.(warrenty could rule that out offcoarse)
It would be good to share the name if the dealer so others are warned if they use them.

Sorry to say that it can take a while for stuff like this to be sorted. When my roof was replaced there were quite a few parts on back order with no ETA in their system.

After having my Cali for 6 months I notice two of the fixing where missing to attach the safety net. So I contacted my VW van Center, and they ordered the parts and said it would be done under warranty as they should of been factory fitted.
Almost one year later we finally hooked up the safety net whilst camping, one fitting pulled right out the head liner along with the screw and left a hole in which I could worryingly see day light through. VW had drilled holes right through the aluminium roof rails on both sides off the roof to tap in the screws and just thumped a bit of epoxy filler in to seal it. I have booked it back in for next week and over the phone the said they can’t find any evidence of carrying out the work which is convenient.
Any idea what I should do about this?

View attachment 63547

View attachment 63548
... they can’t find any evidence of carrying out the work. Don't you have a receipt/paperwork/booking reference/date?

Sorry to say that it can take a while for stuff like this to be sorted. When my roof was replaced there were quite a few parts on back order with no ETA in their system.
What was the problem you had with the roof?

Just a quick update, I took my Cali down to the dealership before it was booked to go in this week. They have agreed to order new roof rails. I have no idea how they will change them out, as they are riveted to the roof.

What was the problem you had with the roof?

whole thread here. Different issue to yours but repair is likely to be the same.
Mine was slowed down by the start of lockdown so ended up taking longer than it would have otherwise.

Just a quick update, I took my Cali down to the dealership before it was booked to go in this week. They have agreed to order new roof rails. I have no idea how they will change them out, as they are riveted to the roof.
By drilling more holes in your roof?

It's not only replacing the rail, if possible, but also closing the hole in the roof itself.
And to get the rail on the roof, you would have to remove the roof headlining...

They'd better replace the whole roof, apply the clear tape and a new seal.
No corrosion either.

and go my knowledge the headliner is bonded to the roof. So I think you’d right... very expensive I’d imagine and weeks and weeks of work and waiting.

You should brace yourself for a fight on this. I hope not but I’m a realist. The technician who did the job has made a botch of it and VWCV won’t stand to that as it’s the dealers liability not a fault of the manufacturer (albeit the need for the fixing was due to a build-level error). Thus you may get a lot of ducking and diving from the motor trader group (that sits behind the VW franchise) as they won’t be enthusiastic to put a claim in on their motor trade service indemnity insurance. I hope not and that it is solved amicably but I would be expecting to be put back in the position pre-work ie no hole drilled in the roof outer, and do not accept a filled repair, the skin should be whole and unpierced so basically a new roof panel.

Thank for your very informative comments here Paul. As you have mentioned, its clear to see this has been botched and probably covered up. I was astonished to find out what they had done, not only has the roof been penetrated but the fastenings weren't fit for purpose clearly. The van is now out of warrantee, but the job was done within the 3 year warrantee period. What worries me is that the fact that I cant find any paper work, so if there is any ducking and diving I don't have anything to go to VW with or the motor ombussman with! Lets see what Thursday brings, they will be very reluctant to replace the entire roof panel at their cost I am sure. All over a couple of bits of plastic that cost about 5 pence to produce.