Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW e-Transporter & e-California

I recall plans to build a power station with enough space around it to provide a 10 year timber supply. At the end of the 10 year cycle the timber first cut will have grown and be ready for use again. From what you say maybe it was too hopeful a design?
Absolutey. I was involved on some of these projects through work and came to the conclusion that for the uk its not viable. We actually began importing woodchip from Norway and Canada.

I was an electric convert, but everyone I know who's had one has said the current tech just doesn't match up to the promised range, it's so variable. Unless something changes dramatically with battery tech, I think fuel cell is going to be the way forward.

There was an interesting article circulating about a month ago of a methane fuel cell. Technically speaking methane can be made renewably (it's very expensive at the moment), plus its a lot more energy dense than hydrogen and a little more stable. I think we might see something like that in 5-10 years starting to emerge.

The sad thing is, everyone wants it to succeed we just don't want to be short-changed in the process.

We here in the uk are still sitting on millions of tons of coal so perhaps if the lights start to go out we will begin digging it out again.

Well, we shouldn't, and don't need to be, burning coal either, it's just better than trees.

Maybe hydrogen cells is worth investigating, however, what are the implications of creating the hydrogen in the first place and what is the overall cost to the environment for each of these fuels including the manufacturer of the engines and or storage technologies (e.g. batteries and the chemical extraction required) I doubt there is a silver bullet for any of these targets.

There was something about hydrogen fuel cells on radio 4 the other morning.
Apparently generating hydrogen is energy intensive so you have to generate electricity 1st, use it to generate hydrogen, then the fuel cell converts the hydrogen back to electricity to power the motor.
Generating the hydrogen is an additional step in the process with high losses, I think 50% was mentioned but could be wrong.

Need minimum 300 kl, more is better. But i also need to know how long a battery lasts, and how expensive a new battery will cost. Will be a partypoop er for a lot of people. Cause batteries are expensive.

Electric bikes have same issue. I think mayority dont have a clue they need to buy a new battery each few years. Costing 500 euro for a decend bike battery. So... the car battery will cost way more.

Was on a business trip in Hamburg last week and in a taxi on route to catch a flight home and, much to the bemusement of my work colleagues, saw the ID Buzz and got a bit excited! Good to see it in the flesh albeit in passing but it was moving and did look very cool!

D81DF17A-7D42-4183-87F7-36749F45559B.jpeg

908081BB-A7A8-4C1F-923E-7658E62F3493.jpeg

Very exciting. It will be my first electric car!

I’m in love - still no ideas as to costs but I WANT it ... shall we start a game —- guess the cost of a Buzz?

Interesting that it is yellow again - they only had 1 working model year ago - bet they have a few now but all yellow as we are only 2-3 years away from launch. Anyway I’ll stick my head out and start the game with a cost of around £45 000 to £55 000 for the basic van. What do you think?

Interesting that it is yellow again - they only had 1 working model year ago - bet they have a few now but all yellow as we are only 2-3 years away from launch. Anyway I’ll stick my head out and start the game with a cost of around £45 000 to £55 000 for the basic van. What do you think?
Without Battery?

Lol - totally playing - let’s say that is complete if they do a lease type battery deal I’d like to lower my base cost to £35 000 plus battery lease.

As a camper converted ..... ?
Come in don’t let me be the only idiot ......

You can order the ABT eTransporter 6.1 in UK from July 2020

Range 80 miles :oops:
Cost £42k + VAT = £50k :Nailbiting

Anyone fancy doing a conversion ? lol

May as well buy a bicycle and tow an Eriba.
I bet the cyclist gets to his destination first....:talktothehand

I can't think fleet managers will be interested in that. In fact I can't really see many people at all wanting one with that range. Even a small milk round could easily exceed the stated 82 miles.

The blurb says "perfectly suited to many different business types, including couriers, delivery drivers, and local businesses." How many couriers or delivery drivers only do 80 miles? Ok with a quick charge they could continue but is the charging infrastructure there to support that yet?

Last edited:
Back