Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Emissions Scandal & The VW California

I doubt if they are the only manufacturers involved.

They deserve *everything* that is coming to them. Sums them up TBH, absolute shameless, manipulating, cheating, greedy bunch of *******.

Well, that's my opinion anyway! ;)

Clever though.
I wonder how the USA authorities found out?

Mind you if the USA raised the price of fuel comparable with Europe then that would have a bigger impact on pollution.
My personal opinion.

As long as they do not run out of money to fix the Cali roof for free

Oh come on. What percentage of car buyers buy their vehicle based only on emissions?
I know it was wrong, but no consumers were out of pocket, but they will be in future.
I bet other manufacturers will be along soon, because they have ALL been very quit today.

Disgraceful if proven. Deserve large fines. No excuses for trying to misled honest buyers for commercial gain. Hope Europe follow.

Different system in Europe. Emissions data is gathered on a number of real road tests not gathered in engineering laboratories. If it was proved in Europe though the damage would be seismic for diesels account for a far larger percentage of vehicle sales than in the US.

My feeling is that this could be the autogate equivalent of liborgate where it's not just one, all their competitors are equally up to the same fiddle.

I wonder if US regulators would also be looking at US manufacturers?

Interesting as well that the tip-off came from Europe :)

Now you know how the new engines are Euro 6 (or whatever it is) compliant, they have a little dodge in the software to fool the testers! :D

And maybe the latest engines have had the EGR problem fixed by bypassing the warning light :confused:

I'm sure others can think of more ideas on this theme? We could submit them to VW and win a suggestion box prize :D

"sorry you have had charging problems, it was caused by a fault in the sensor that controls emissions fiddles. It has now been fixed, your vehicle will now charge wonderfully, and so will the DVLA when they find you should be in an emission band fifteen times higher

Yours insincerely

VW Customer Care".....

"sorry you have had charging problems, it was caused by a fault in the sensor that controls emissions fiddles. It has now been fixed, your vehicle will now charge wonderfully, and so will the DVLA when they find you should be in an emission band fifteen times higher

Yours insincerely

VW Customer Care".....
Your a bad woman Mrs Jen!
Extremely funny though :Grin

Does a warranty count for a bankrupt company:eek: :headbang :shocked

Oh I do love modern diesels.

Oh.

No I don't.

Believe the US VW software 'fix', involves the 'Add Blue' Euro 6 diesel system, VW will not be alone, no doubt US automobile manufacturer market protection 'litigation' lawyers will be gearing up to hit the foreign small diesel imports, So Q, are new UK VW T6 Euro 6 compliant ECU's similarly tweaked, has the maligned EGR valve got a reprieve, Surely corporate multinationals wouldn't engage in fiddles .. what is Boris going to do next ...

Rob H.

Anyone just watch the full bulletin on the 10 o'clock BBC news?. This really could be h-u-g-e with some very far reaching implications. Lots of talk about the knives being out for diesel cars in the coming years led by legislation, taxation, city bans etc across the UK and EU anyway but if VW were up to it with the incredible pressure on emissions regs then they cannot have been alone...

I spoke to a dealer earlier about petrol Calis. This might bring forward a possible UK introduction...

Now we know why BL et al went to the wall, they weren't streetwise enough to fiddle the system (only the books).

Wonder if there could be any secondary litigation for claims for health issues allegedly caused by the emissions .... I keep getting texts to claim for "the accident" I was involved in, and "the PPI I was mis-sold", this will be the next scam!

Hope my pension fund has no VW shares in it :Nailbiting

Shocking. But interesting that VW have coughed up. Not like them to admit fault.
Rob

They all cheat. Given a set of rules and a listing on a stock exchange they can't do anything else. The reason for the last crash wasn't that Lehmans were bad, the reason was that once one bank was making better margins than the rest by buying sub prime loans they all had to. I think if you read a bit more about that Lehman were actually one of the last into the gold rush, so they got the worst bag of loans. The ones that started the gold rush got the best and survived (with our money supporting them)

Not that I'm against capitalism per se but if you run it on the microsecond scale as things are done now not the annual scale as things were then you have to live by the consequences.

They probably forgot to remove the spare wheel from the boot when doing the emissions test. :headbang

This whole emissions drive is crazy bonkers. Cars are certified under such fake conditions to get the CO2 figure and emmissions as low as possible. Put people, luggage and the family dog in and it all changes.

We bought a new Skoda a couple of years ago and queried why it didn't come with a spare wheel. "You get a tyre sealant repair kit Sir..."

It's all smoke and mirrors and I'm sure the whole industry is at it.

They probably forgot to remove the spare wheel from the boot when doing the emissions test. :headbang

This whole emissions drive is crazy bonkers. Cars are certified under such fake conditions to get the CO2 figure and emmissions as low as possible. Put people, luggage and the family dog in and it all changes.

We bought a new Skoda a couple of years ago and queried why it didn't come with a spare wheel. "You get a tyre sealant repair kit Sir..."

It's all smoke and mirrors and I'm sure the whole industry is at it.

And why are they at it?
They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. We, via the legislatures, demand the impossible but won't give up are cars and trucks etc: and yet we will not pay the going price, or inconvenience, of the technology required to meet those demands.

e.g.: Smokers. We legislate to make smokers give up on health and pollution grounds yet the Government take £10billion in tax and only fork out £3billion in costs to treat the smokers. A supposedly safer alternative, E cigarettes comes along and the powers to be get on their hobby horses demanding legislation to curb their use, Why?, because they'll lose tax revenue.

DONT blame VW. They're only trying to meet over stringent US diesel emisions regulation (approx 1/3 of the Euro levels alowed). Why do you think we have DPF's and EGR's?

For years engine manufacturers have been designing holes or dips in the power curve at a given rpm to accomodate noise tests etc. This is nothing new.

Anyone who thinks the other manufacturers are ignorant of this are naive. Car manufacturers buy the competitions vehicles and strip them down to each nut and bolt. They will be well aware of what that particular ECU map was doing.

Given a set of rules and regulations manufacturers will always read what they DONT say, not what they say.
Car giants have been getting "creative" with the rules in F1 for years for example.

It's utter hypocracy of the US given that they've shunned the Kyoto agreement for years prefering to hammer the humble automobile to clear their conscience.

Pod.

Does Sidepod's post start to explain why after-market tuning guys (Pendle performance etc) can 'easily' get "better performance and mpg" with their retunes?
I always think their claims are 'turning water into wine' and am therefore sceptical, but could be explained if they are simply removing some of the odd things the manufacturer had to do (holes or dips) to meet tests?

Back