Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Ireland will sell direct to customers starting in 2026 and end sales from its dealer network

Agency model... already adopted for some brands in the UK. (ID range has recently gone down the agency route)

Mercedes were one of the very first to adopt this model, and they've lost market share. Daewoo were the pioneers of this business model many years ago, and where are they now!??

Mercedes were one of the very first to adopt this model, and they've lost market share. Daewoo were the pioneers of this business model many years ago, and where are they now!??
Didn’t Daewoo get rebranded as Chevrolet ?

MAN have gone down the same route for the TGE range.

Just trying to buy a new Volvo using the agency model…what a pain. Vehicle is 30 miles away at another dealer but can I get it sent to me no. The dealer has fitted options that I don’t want (not visible from Volvo central)….so I have paid 50% of the price and they won’t ship it to my local dealer for pickup unless someone pays for the additional options….the dealer has now cancelled the order and offered me another cancelled order ….which is the wrong spec… also refunding me the money in 15 days and want me to pay the deposit again….. if VW adopt this model with their dodgy ordering system beware!!! Don’t think I would order another Volvo after this experience.

How would a customer test-drive a vehicle under this agency model, if dealerships are a relegated to car delivery?
Feels like a cynical way to make more profit, against many customers wishes, like designing out buttons on the dashboard. I want to see it, touch it, control it, not faff about with screens

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
How would a customer test-drive a vehicle under this agency model, if dealerships are a relegated to car delivery?
Feels like a cynical way to make more profit, against many customers wishes, like designing out buttons on the dashboard. I want to see it, touch it, control it, not faff about with screens
I deliver new cars to customers and very few have sat in one, let alone test driven the vehicle. All ordered on line from lease companies.

I do get the principle of the agency model, as with franchised dealers if one person gets a big discount it's usually been subsidised by those other unsuspecting customers who've paid full list price.

But I love to know I've got a deal, and negotiating a 'bargain' is something I really enjoy about the process. I too bought a Volvo recently using the agency model and i found the sales people a lot more indifferent than I would have liked.....

Bought a Volvo for business to replace the ID3... straight 15% off for business as they appreciate its a market and they have to be competitive within that market.

I hate negotiating, no patience, so typically buy online. I do however have a feel to what a market rate is rather than one set in the boardroom. Helps also being a cash buyer as the trade is easier to evaluate. So you want £72k for the ID Buzz when I think its closer to high 40s.....arghhh no.

I bet you still won't be able to get a parking space when you do visit the 'dealer'.

That‘s not the way many people procure cars these days. They’re just rented white goods.

That‘s not the way many people procure cars these days. They’re just rented white goods.
Most don't even want a test drive?!
I’m genuinely surprised that such a big financial decision, with implications for how you feel physically and mentally for several years, is made by so many without trying it first…

Last edited:
Is this a response for the upcoming compensation scheme that will be offered to buyers who took out financing via manufactures and dealers get a kick back ? (I.e. buyer was not / is not offered the best terms )

Last edited:
I’m genuinely surprised that such a big financial decision, with implications for how you feel physically and mentally for several years, is made by so many without trying it first…

It’s not though, for many it’s renting white goods for a few hundred a month. Rinse and repeat with whoever is offering the best / cheapest deal. Very few look at the capital cost. Can’t remember the last time I test drove a car before buying it.

I’m not sure. For most people, and certainly for us, a car’s a car. It goes from A to B when you push the pedals and turn the wheel. And that’s that. They key factors are the price, size, equipment. Not the drive.

And let’s face it: if you want a Porsche, you want a Porsche. If you want a BWM 5-series, you want a BMW 5-series. If you want a VW California, you want a VW California. You’re not going to go test drive cars and buy a Skoda Superb instead of a Porsche because it drives better.

Obviously, there are a number of people where test driving will be important (drive for a living, health issues, etc).

But I’d say it’s a small minority.

Can just sell it if you don't like it. If it’s a 2nd hand Camper you can usually recover the purchase price even after a few years of driving. (new is a bit different as suffers higher depreciation).

It’s just a lump of metal with an engine, so not much of an emotional attachment for us. Although I did get annoyed with the roof corrosion and feel very sorry for those buyers of new vans with leaky roofs that will never get addressed properly by VW - a test drive would not have prevented this, but after a bit of research on the web they might have made a different choice.

I’m not sure. For most people, and certainly for us, a car’s a car. It goes from A to B when you push the pedals and turn the wheel. And that’s that. They key factors are the price, size, equipment. Not the drive.

And let’s face it: if you want a Porsche, you want a Porsche. If you want a BWM 5-series, you want a BMW 5-series. If you want a VW California, you want a VW California. You’re not going to go test drive cars and buy a Skoda Superb instead of a Porsche because it drives better.

Obviously, there are a number of people where test driving will be important (drive for a living, health issues, etc).

But I’d say it’s a small minority.
I always do a quick test drive unless I know the car. I driven some cars that were poor and didn't live up to the expectation - shortest test drive was 2miles....just said no. That was a Volvo V50.

Most recent was the ID Buzz. Also cut the test drive short and said thanks, but no thanks. Underpowered, bouncy and noisy...

Direct selling will be a bit of a disaster for Drive the deal - no deal to drive.
Oh well, good while it lasted.

If and when it does come to UK there will still be incentives like deposit contributions, free services etc, depending on whether VW need to shift vans.
Drive the deal is/was a nice bit of icing on top of that.

If and when it does come to UK there will still be incentives like deposit contributions, free services etc, depending on whether VW need to shift vans.
Drive the deal is/was a nice bit of icing on top of that.
9% was the corner slice of cake covered on 3 sides with icing, plus a glass of champagne!
Paid for all my options, and I ticked most.

I always do a quick test drive unless I know the car. I driven some cars that were poor and didn't live up to the expectation - shortest test drive was 2miles....just said no. That was a Volvo V50.

Most recent was the ID Buzz. Also cut the test drive short and said thanks, but no thanks. Underpowered, bouncy and noisy...
The same, I even go and test leased cars before ordering them. I admit, only exception was California, I didn't bother testing it. Even if it's awful to drive, I will live with it. It's not a fun car.

I did turn back from test drives couple of times or was totally disappointed. Jeep Wrangler was probably shortest test drive. I also didn't like BMW M2. And some cars, I tested couple of times, before committing. There were also cars I did like, but never bought them, not right time or something else. They are still on my list of possible purchases, in case it will be right time.

I'm another non - test driver. Most similar class of cars drive the same these days - for me it's very rare I drive a new car and think this is just awful to drive. I read and watch online reviews.

I've just ordered a BMW XM through my business, and at the time of ordering I'd not even seen one in the flesh let alone driven it! As an earlier poster stated, I'm only renting it for 2 years so can't imagine I'm going to come too unstuck during that time....

Wow, I am amazed at the number of you that are obviously not "DRIVERS". Do you really mean the you will just get into any vehicle, press the pedals and point it where you wish to go?

Perhaps you all live in urban areas where you have never experienced the ability to "drive the open road" and enjoy the experience.
For instance both myself and my wife in separate vehicles, one a T6 and the other a T-Roc drove from Brecon to Hirwaun a couple of weeks ago using the A4059 briskly (avoiding the sheep) (https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8133186,-3.4784481,13z?authuser=0&entry=ttu).
Do that occasionally in various vehicles and you will soon learn how to pick out the rubbish cars and avoid them.

Back