Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Ireland will sell direct to customers starting in 2026 and end sales from its dealer network

Business, I wouldn't care but it would have to be an EV. When parting with your own money its slightly different.

Actually my shortest test drive was the one I didn't do. It was a Jeep Cherokee back in the mid 90s. I sat in the seat and pedals and steering wheel were offset and somewhat allien to my 6ft 5in frame. The salesman told me that I would get use to it...... I said I wasnt even going to try so not to bother. Bought a Discovery

Wow, I am amazed at the number of you that are obviously not "DRIVERS". Do you really mean the you will just get into any vehicle, press the pedals and point it where you wish to go?

Perhaps you all live in urban areas where you have never experienced the ability to "drive the open road" and enjoy the experience.
For instance both myself and my wife in separate vehicles, one a T6 and the other a T-Roc drove from Brecon to Hirwaun a couple of weeks ago using the A4059 briskly (avoiding the sheep) (https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8133186,-3.4784481,13z?authuser=0&entry=ttu).
Do that occasionally in various vehicles and you will soon learn how to pick out the rubbish cars and avoid them.
Know the road well....hoped you stopped and bought some Brecon Gin

Wow, I am amazed at the number of you that are obviously not "DRIVERS". Do you really mean the you will just get into any vehicle, press the pedals and point it where you wish to go?

Perhaps you all live in urban areas where you have never experienced the ability to "drive the open road" and enjoy the experience.
For instance both myself and my wife in separate vehicles, one a T6 and the other a T-Roc drove from Brecon to Hirwaun a couple of weeks ago using the A4059 briskly (avoiding the sheep) (https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8133186,-3.4784481,13z?authuser=0&entry=ttu).
Do that occasionally in various vehicles and you will soon learn how to pick out the rubbish cars and avoid them.
Most people don’t care and Britain too inundated with traffic to ever have ‘open roads’. There are exceptions, I drove across Northumberland this week and much of it was like rural France.

I like to at least view and test drive a car before I purchase it. I expect that you will still be able to do that as the dealers will have to sell the used stock.
I guess the bottom line will be that useless you lease or PCP a car you may take a hit when trading it in. Most dealers will look to put together a deal based on your used car and the new car. If they are not going to get any money from the new car there will be little incentive to offer a reasonable price for your used car.
Personally I like going to the dealers talking to them about the car I am thinking about and then taking over the options. A friend of mine purchased a new T Roc but the model they wanted did not come with Sat Nav. They were going to add the Sat Nav but the salesman said I wouldn’t select that option as you can just use your phone connected to Car Play. An online ordering system won’t offer the same advice.
It would be interesting to know what part of the dealership system people have most concerns about i.e. Servicing, New Car Sales, Used Car Sales, Parts and Accessories. If the answer is New Car Sales then maybe they are right to make that department direct sales but I bet it is not the worst department.

I like to at least view and test drive a car before I purchase it. I expect that you will still be able to do that as the dealers will have to sell the used stock.
I guess the bottom line will be that useless you lease or PCP a car you may take a hit when trading it in. Most dealers will look to put together a deal based on your used car and the new car. If they are not going to get any money from the new car there will be little incentive to offer a reasonable price for your used car.
Personally I like going to the dealers talking to them about the car I am thinking about and then taking over the options. A friend of mine purchased a new T Roc but the model they wanted did not come with Sat Nav. They were going to add the Sat Nav but the salesman said I wouldn’t select that option as you can just use your phone connected to Car Play. An online ordering system won’t offer the same advice.
It would be interesting to know what part of the dealership system people have most concerns about i.e. Servicing, New Car Sales, Used Car Sales, Parts and Accessories. If the answer is New Car Sales then maybe they are right to make that department direct sales but I bet it is not the worst department.
We've just done a very similar thing. The T6 has gone and been replaced by a LWB MAN TGE so there was a need for a car. We were aiming for a small SUV, i.e. a Skoda Karoq, a SEAT Ateca or a VW T-Roc in the end we found an R Line T-Roc but whilst searching we had driven both of the other models and didn't like them as much as the T-Roc but would never have known if a test drive had not been available.

A friend of mine purchased a new T Roc but the model they wanted did not come with Sat Nav. They were going to add the Sat Nav but the salesman said I wouldn’t select that option as you can just use your phone connected to Car Play. An online ordering system won’t offer the same advice.

Quick google search from the comfort of their own home (with beer in hand) would have confirmed the same.

Most manufacturers car sat nav are outdated and also need payment for latest maps once free period has expired. We have a VW (kenwood) unit with garmin satnav - satnav is rubbish, Waze over carplay is far superior; Previous owner paid £1500 for VW to install….but later £500 Kenwood units have far better functionality.

Quick google search from the comfort of their own home (with beer in hand) would have confirmed the same.

Most manufacturers car sat nav are outdated and also need payment for latest maps once free period has expired. We have a VW (kenwood) unit with garmin satnav - satnav is rubbish, Waze over carplay is far superior; Previous owner paid £1500 for VW to install….but later £500 Kenwood units have far better functionality.
Our 2021 T-Roc has a factory satnav which is reasonably accurate and up to date but has an option to give speed warnings. However these are total rubbish, it thinks there are various speed limits below 30mph even down to 5mph and we don't live in Wales!.

Back