Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

[VW T5 Beach] Which kettle??

estresao

estresao

Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hi all,

I'm very near to take delivery of my brand new California Beach. I already have a small gas stove, but I'd like ti use a 12v kettle just to warm up water to make coffee with no too much hassle.

Are you using some one? Some advise?

I've looked at 12V kettles and the consensus seems to be that they take forever to boil. My plan is to get a normal kitchen kettle (though probably a 500ml to 1l size), which I can use in the normal plug socket when hook-up is available. I read a good tip somewhere that every time you boil a kettle and have water left over, you put it in a thermos flask. That way you always have warm water handy.
For the times not on hook-up, then it'd be the gas stove...or nip to a nice-looking café instead!

There is no substitute for a wacky practicals kettle.

12v take forever,

Wacky takes up no space, boils in a couple of minutes to make a nice cup of tea wherever you are.

So nice to make that nice traffic policeman a cup of tea whilst parked on the hard shoulder ..... "more sugar officer? ... to go with the exlax that I've just stirred in"?.....

When hook-up is availale there is no doubt, but the point is what to use when you only have 12v . According to what yo say it could be much better to use the gas stove.

Thanks for the advise

There is no substitute for a wacky practicals kettle.

I've had a Wacky Practicals for a few years now... good... but I find it's small base makes for quite a slow boil. Particularly on the Cali burner which isn't powerful.

Outwell now do a silicone collapsible kettle with a large flat base... Bigger surface area and better heat transfer. Boils in around half the time.

Other advantage is it's abut £8 cheaper.

Another vote for the Outwell, it was the first thing we bought for the van and one of our better purchases!

I've had a Wacky Practicals for a few years now... good... but I find it's small base makes for quite a slow boil. Particularly on the Cali burner which isn't powerful.

Outwell now do a silicone collapsible kettle with a large flat base... Bigger surface area and better heat transfer. Boils in around half the time.

I've looked at those and quite impressed. I like the wacky for the way it just sits in the bowl and just enough room there for a few other bits. Like what you say about heat transfer though, probably improved stability as well which for me is more important. I will probably try one next trip.

These one are nice!!!

We also have the green version of this - one of the first things we bought for the van - 500ml of bottled water is exactly enough for 2 cups of tea and it boils very quickly - more than happy with this.

I've looked at 12V kettles and the consensus seems to be that they take forever to boil. My plan is to get a normal kitchen kettle (though probably a 500ml to 1l size), which I can use in the normal plug socket when hook-up is available. I read a good tip somewhere that every time you boil a kettle and have water left over, you put it in a thermos flask. That way you always have warm water handy.
For the times not on hook-up, then it'd be the gas stove...or nip to a nice-looking café instead!

We usually cook a bit more water than needed so we have hot water ready for doing the disches afther....
Another tip , fil the kettle before going to sleep in the evening , so it's already at ambiant themp. And take less time and gas to boile in the morning...as for cold water out the tap

Last edited:
For a budget option look at Decathlon's camping kettle - aluminium, fits inside our one pan, easily does 2/3 cups of tea, costs 7.99. Is nice and squat. Presumably cheaper if you buy at a Decathlon in Europe with current exchange rate.

Thanks a lot.

The Decathlon one is not foldable, so I think I´ll go for something like the Outwell (Space is a treasure in our vans ;))