Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW T6 Ocean Suspension

P

PorscheAnorak

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, I thought I’d share this post as it may be of interest to other T6 Cali owners who like me find their suspension harsh over bumps and wallowing in corners.

I bought my 2018 T6 Ocean one week ago and absolutely love it apart from how it drives. It’s like driving a HGV or speed boat, both being bouncy and unplanted and requiring constant concentration even on a motorway. Anyhow I crammed in way to much research plus spoke to a few owners and found the following:

* The T6 is worse than the T5 for handling
* Cali’s are way heavier than standard transporters so if you apply lowering springs expect a bigger drop than advertised.
* You will go blind trying to work out whether to buy a full suspension kit such as the Bilstein B14’s or the cheaper option of the Eibach lowering springs. Other options are available but these two brands seem to be the noisiest on various forums.

I’ve just taken a different route and could not be happier with the results hence this post as others may be in the same dilemma.

I spoke to Steve at CRS Performance who’s been improving suspensions on cars and vans for 30 years. He’s a font of all knowledge, unbelievably helpful and patient, as you can imagine how many questions I had. He’s replacing roughly 60 suspensions a month on Cali’s, transporters and various VW camper conversions. I’ll not go through all the dialogue I had with Steve other than to say he recommended a Koni suspension with H&R lowering springs (40mm drop) to solve the harsh and wallowing suspension.

Having booked in this morning at his garage in Cannock he has transformed the ride and handling in my Cali in under 1.5hrs. Not only that I asked for his opinion on how / if I could make the 17” standard alloy wheels fill the arches a bit better. He recommended adding some spacers to see what I thought. 10 mins later the spacers were fitted and I had the desired look to go with the handling. For those wondering about how much this cost it was £1380 all in including the spacers which were £240.

I can’t recommend Steve and his team enough. If like me you want a softer ride in your T6 Cali whilst improving the handling give them a call.

All the best

There are many posts on here covering the handling characteristics of the T6 and most cover the mods you mentioned ie lowering by 30/40mm and importantly the HD ARB’s. Some have also fitted spacers but a few cases of failures have been reported so maybe be aware.

Surely if you fit spacers, and your van is under warranty, you're asking for trouble with any suspension related problems?
Do spacers help, or do they just wear tyres out more quickly ?

Surely if you fit spacers, and your van is under warranty, you're asking for trouble with any suspension related problems?
Do spacers help, or do they just wear tyres out more quickly ?
Hi, I’ve no idea about tyre wear but I’m having a 4 wheel alignment carried out next week which should help. The cost of 17”tyres are not that expensive if they do wear a few thousand miles sooner though. As for the potential warranty invalidity, life’s too short to worry about if buts and maybes, I just want to drive a Cali I love. Hope you love yours. All the best.

Had mine fitted for about 5 weeks before having them removed.
Really couldn’t get on with them. Vastly over-rated. Only plus point was reducing body roll/wallow.

Had mine fitted for about 5 weeks before having them removed.
Really couldn’t get on with them. Vastly over-rated. Only plus point was reducing body roll/wallow.
Mines still in warranty, having read may threads on this, and being a bit careful with money I decided to stay with std set up.
I felt ground clearance is important and except on the most twisty Scottish A roads I can keep at the speed limit most of the time.
Beyond the speed limit the fuel consumption falls off greatly low 30's and its a Campervan not a golf gti, I accept its a compromise as the whole California.
I just relax and hit acc behind tourists now.

I found the official VW / Eibach lowering springs greatly improved the ride on my T5 Cali and were more than enough me for me, best upgrade I did.

For anyone with warranty concerns it's a great option as they were fitted by VW and they confirmed it would not affect the warranty in any way.

Hi, I thought I’d share this post as it may be of interest to other T6 Cali owners who like me find their suspension harsh over bumps and wallowing in corners.

I bought my 2018 T6 Ocean one week ago and absolutely love it apart from how it drives. It’s like driving a HGV or speed boat, both being bouncy and unplanted and requiring constant concentration even on a motorway. Anyhow I crammed in way to much research plus spoke to a few owners and found the following:

* The T6 is worse than the T5 for handling
* Cali’s are way heavier than standard transporters so if you apply lowering springs expect a bigger drop than advertised.
* You will go blind trying to work out whether to buy a full suspension kit such as the Bilstein B14’s or the cheaper option of the Eibach lowering springs. Other options are available but these two brands seem to be the noisiest on various forums.

I’ve just taken a different route and could not be happier with the results hence this post as others may be in the same dilemma.

I spoke to Steve at CRS Performance who’s been improving suspensions on cars and vans for 30 years. He’s a font of all knowledge, unbelievably helpful and patient, as you can imagine how many questions I had. He’s replacing roughly 60 suspensions a month on Cali’s, transporters and various VW camper conversions. I’ll not go through all the dialogue I had with Steve other than to say he recommended a Koni suspension with H&R lowering springs (40mm drop) to solve the harsh and wallowing suspension.

Having booked in this morning at his garage in Cannock he has transformed the ride and handling in my Cali in under 1.5hrs. Not only that I asked for his opinion on how / if I could make the 17” standard alloy wheels fill the arches a bit better. He recommended adding some spacers to see what I thought. 10 mins later the spacers were fitted and I had the desired look to go with the handling. For those wondering about how much this cost it was £1380 all in including the spacers which were £240.

I can’t recommend Steve and his team enough. If like me you want a softer ride in your T6 Cali whilst improving the handling give them a call.

All the best
Hello, do you have an update on how you’re liking the Koni+h&r+spacers?

Thanks!!

Tom

Back