Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suspension

I guess Steve would have a view on that. I've gone for DCC so we'll see if that makes a difference.
I have DCC +dynamic chassis , I love it. The dynamic chassis option lowers the cali 2cm lower than standard (198 cm in stead of 200cm total height) . And it is so much more than just adjusting suspension, also steering and acceleration change with different settings and you can make your own setting also.

I have DCC +dynamic chassis , I love it. The dynamic chassis option lowers the cali 2cm lower than standard (198 cm in stead of 200cm total height) . And it is so much more than just adjusting suspension, also steering and acceleration change with different settings and you can make your own setting also.
Yes I’m glad I went for it.
Surprised I’m better set to Sport in town over speed bumps to reduce rebound. Lovely wafting along the motorway in Comfort.
My personal setting is Sport Steering with Comfort suspension.
Haven’t got into the acceleration stage - have you?

Hello,

I’d really appreciate an update on the suspension setup as I’m looking to upgrade :)

t6 ocean

Thanks!

Tom
What do you want to know??

It’s sort of all there. It was fitted and then removed.
The suspension itself wasn’t bad, but didn’t transform things. Most importantly, don’t let that clown install rear spacers.
I won’t go into it again. Its been done :thumb

Agree, in previous cars I've twice switched from sports suspension back to the standard setup, it's indeed very subjective.

My logic is, why try make a van handle like a car? Strange benchmark in my opinion.

And here goes... Shouldn't we trust VW engineering know what they are doing and not mess with their perfect design?

(Runs and hides)
The problem here is a load of punters who essentially haven’t the faintest idea how vehicle dynamics work being sold shiny stuff by a bloke who makes a living out of , well, selling shiny stuff.
What could possibly go wrong?

Hello,

I’d really appreciate an update on the suspension setup as I’m looking to upgrade :)

t6 ocean

Thanks!

Tom
I’ve now had my CRS Active Konis for a year. They probably made the van handle a bit better. Noticeable exiting roundabouts. It’s still definitely a van though. I got them as I was hoping to improve ride but it didn’t. Not worth taking out existing suspension IMO.
My van is a 2008 and they said one of my shocks was leaking so just about worth it replacing very old shocks. It was a present to myself. He raised mine about 12mm at the back with spacers.

There is very little agreement about suspension.

Yes I’m glad I went for it.
Surprised I’m better set to Sport in town over speed bumps to reduce rebound. Lovely wafting along the motorway in Comfort.
My personal setting is Sport Steering with Comfort suspension.
Haven’t got into the acceleration stage - have you?
It's my impression that choosing for sport setting changes also the way the dsg shifts from one gear to the next, because the suspension is harder at the same time accelaration improves .when I want to quickly overtake on the highway for example I switch to sport and it really makes a difference. Also on roads with many bends in the countryside, sport helps to prevent the vehicle from leaning over. But it's better not to look at the fuel consumption when accelerating in sport mode. Eco on the long trips at the highway and comfort on the gravel roads in sweden/norway. Normal mode most of the time in town.

Compromise!
there is no such thing as a free lunch !

the perfect set up does not exist ,
it is purely user experiences , what suit one does not suit another.
what is good to one is poor to another, VW have to juggle a myriad of scenarios and many Variations of Van !
i changed t5.1 combi suspension at 100k miles, new H&R struts, caps, bushes, drop links etc (all new suspension) it transformed the ride , did it improve the factory Ride ? Not sure , the vehicle had covered 100k milex , the suspension was shot , and new gear would was a massive improvement!

do I think the suspension on my van 40k mikes is good - errrh NO - IMO tyres make a great difference!

What do you want to know??
Hey Lambeth,

I’d like to feel a bit more connected to the road.
Right now the way the van wallows on the highway kind of puts me to sleep.

My t6 ocean has about 90,000miles and stock shocks in ok condition. I do get double bounce on speed bump exit at moderate speed.

I’ve put Koni Special Actives on another car and handling was much better!! (Abarth stock->koni sport->Koni special active was sweet spot). I’m comparing a semi to a go cart, lol.

I was thinking koni special actives (800euros on oscaro Belgium) that id put in myself.

+\- the h&r sway bars but they $$$$$ for metal
+\- 20mm drop to fit into more garages but these shocks aren’t compatible with a drop afaik.

Tire choice makes a bit difference as well. I’ve experimented with the 16’s and 17’s steelies (that love the look of).

I’ve got a post going on on the t6 forum about how this car specifically makes me drowsy while driving it. Exhaust issues and noise issues have been ruled out.

The California’s are very different from the other t6’s, more top heavy and different weight distribution. Even beach without the kitchen weight makes it need different suspension setup. I don’t think I’ve seen a poll that’s cali specific (with and without kitchen).
The question could be simple: van type/ springs/ shocks/ arb/ tires. “Are you happy?” could help generate a sort of consensus I’m guessing.

I really want to keep it, the sqergo bed is really good!

Seems crs likes special actives + sway bars + raise of the rear.
Seems transporter hq like their so-low line.

I like the way the van feels in the bends so I’d be against modifying rear height (affecting Toe and Camber).

I just want to feel more connected I guess :)

Thanks for hearing me out,

Sorry for being weird :)

Tom

(Californication on T6forum)

Hey Lambeth,

My t6 ocean has about 90,000miles and stock shocks in ok condition. I do get double bounce on speed bump exit at moderate speed.

I’ve put Koni Special Actives on another car and handling was much better!! (Abarth stock->koni sport->Koni special active was sweet spot). I’m comparing a semi to a go cart, lol.

I was thinking koni special actives (800euros on oscaro Belgium) that id put in myself.

+\- 20mm drop to fit into more garages but these shocks aren’t compatible with a drop afaik.

Tire choice makes a bit difference as well. I’ve experimented with the 16’s and 17’s steelies (that love the look of).

I’ve got a post going on on the t6 forum about how this car specifically makes me drowsy while driving it. Exhaust issues and noise issues have been ruled out.

The California’s are very different from the other t6’s, more top heavy and different weight distribution. Even beach without the kitchen weight makes it need different suspension setup. I don’t think I’ve seen a poll that’s cali specific (with and without kitchen).
The question could be simple: van type/ springs/ shocks/ arb/ tires. “Are you happy?” could help generate a sort of consensus I’m guessing.

I like the way the van feels in the bends so I’d be against modifying rear height (affecting Toe and Camber).

Tom

I think it is very subjective. As I said, I would say I thought the Koni Active did improve the handling a bit. Some people have called it ‘night and day’.

Consensus is unlikely.

My van is 2008 60k miles and has 16” wheels and 215/65 tyres.

Last edited:
Hey Lambeth,

Tom

Fitting uprated ARB’s will take the wallow out. Transformed the ride in our van without breaking the bank.

Thank you for the advice. I’m in Belgium. I’ve found the h&r arb’s in Germany for 450euros. My rear shocks are also tired. I get a double bounce coming off speed bumps even at low speed. I’m thinking “cheap” bilstein b4 in the back (80 per shock). The Koni special active are 160 each for the rear and 225 each for the front (oh I wish :) )
I get a lot of sideways motion so the arb’s make sense.
Sounds like arb’s come before shocks!

Thanks again !!