Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Want to lower your 4MOTION California?

James said:
KernowLad said:
frigorifix said:
Can't speak about the handling but I know for the use of the Cali I've got, I would be pretty angry to have to think twice about driving on a rocky dirt road because my van would be 3cm closer to the ground.
I agree that it looks nice but I won't sacrifice the clearance for the looks.

Have you got mud flaps? We have and I already find the rear ones catch a lot. With a 30mm drop, it would be a PITA.

Always been very into cars - my dad had loads of nice kit and I've had some fairly nice stuff plus driven a zillion "serious" motors plus done IAM and cop training but not once have I ever considered lowering a car or sticking aftermarket alloys on a car/van of mine.

This is one car enthusiast who will always get the smallest wheels possible (that fit over the brakes - 17s for both vehicles at the moment), the highest profile rubber and hoon around with a big smile on my face be it in the van or the car.

As for the 4Motion Cali - it's great for light off road duties however I find it slightly curious that the two members that "contribute" the most regularly on them don't actually have them... ;)

I also find it odd that the "outdoor gear" company Berghaus (who very good kit IMO) brought out a model not only lacking 4Motion but also with large alloys on lowish profile rubber. Strange... :?:

Who are the two members who contribute regularly about 4 Motions but don't have them?

Yourself and Stu. :clap :eek:

KernowLad said:
As for the 4Motion Cali - it's great for light off road duties however I find it slightly curious that the two members that "contribute" the most regularly on them don't actually have them... ;)

If you're aiming that at me looking for a bite then you're barking up the wrong tree. I contribute a to this forum in general, not just in this topic - in fact last time I looked I had one of the highest post counts on the forum and like the rest of the Staff Team I do this in my own time and sometimes for the benefit of others.

I might not have a 4Mo but I do have common sense and I can see through the mist that appears to be clouding your judgement.

Oh and I do have -30mm lowering springs so perhaps I feel I can comment as equally as you do having a 4Mo and offer the argument from the other side to balance perspective.

It's time to stop being a pedant and understand others may have an opinion that differs from yours.

[EDIT] James post disappeared (?) I was just answering it...

Well, I don't know James. I don't want to impose any of my views to anyone. I'm just being surprised by the idea of "4 Motion" and "lowering" put together. I've read a lot of things about people trying to gain clearance on 4 Motion Cali (Seikel Kit, VB Air suspentions...), first time I read something about loosing clearance.
I can definitely imagine that if you almost never go off-road and have a 2WD, lowering it can improve something, but my use of a 4WD is definitely to go off-roads and obviously the clearance is really important.

frigorifix said:
......but my use of a 4WD is definitely to go off-roads and obviously the clearance is really important.

..... and that is the wonderful concept of choice. Some owners will be pleased to have the benefits that can be gained from 4Mo coupled with those of the lowering springs, others are happy with how it comes from the factory or indeed seek greater ride heights as you suggest.

For example if I had a 4Mo California I would not be 'off roading' (as in climbing up the side of mountains etc) but I would appreciate the extra traction if I went onto a camp site with muddy fields or if the weather wasn't too good and I found myself in some heavy snow.

Your usage clearly differs from mine. :thumb

frigorifix said:
Well, I don't know James. I don't want to impose any of my views to anyone. I'm just being surprised by the idea of "4 Motion" and "lowering" put together. I've read a lot of things about people trying to gain clearance on 4 Motion Cali (Seikel Kit, VB Air suspentions...), first time I read something about loosing clearance.
I can definitly imagine that if you almost never go off-road and have a 2WD, lowering it can improve something, but my use of a 4WD is definitly to go off-roads and obviously the clearance is really important.

The 4 motion can be used to go off road and VW market several T5 variants to reflect this. They are not available in the UK but clearly there is a sizeable customer base for such vehicles. In fact the California 4 Motion in Europe is available with some off road upgrades not available to UK buyers.

Equally there must be 4 motion owners who like 4 motion for the extra traction in say a muddy field. 4 wheel drive systems have long been used as systems for extra traction on fact since Audi was chucking its original Quattro at impossibly quick speeds round rally stages in the early 80's.

The point is a 4 wheel drive system has many applications and that's actually a positive, the versatility of them. I don't see the issue if some properly by VW.

James

Rallying a California; now that would by funny!

Stu said:
Your usage clearly differs from mine. :thumb

As you say, I guess that's the main point. In my first post in this topic I was just curious to see what would be the point of lowering a 4 Motion and as you say, it depends obviously of personal usage. :thumb

James said:
Equally there must be 4 motion owners who like 4 motion for the extra traction in say a muddy field. 4 wheel drive systems have long been used as systems for extra traction on fact since Audi was chucking its original Quattro at impossibly quick speeds round rally stages in the early 80's.

Fine by me. I also enjoy knowing I can go on wet grass and not worry if I'll be able to get out if it rained all night, or going on sand and relying on the 4WD.
I'm not sure I would spend the extra coins just for those uses (and the extra coins at the gas station as this 4 Motion engine is definitely more greedy than it's 2WD little brother) but again, if money is not the issue, then the 4WD is more comfortable to drive indeed.

People do get their knickers in a twist about these subjects!

Why would you assume that most 4motion owners are only exploring areas that need greater ground clearance? I would expect most owners just like the comfort of knowing they can tackle most surfaces they are likely to encounter while on their holidays.

I bet most Range Rovers never see any mud or rocks, who cares, they are wonderful vehicles to own and drive.

If VW have now released lowering springs for a 4motion, it has obviously been due to demand, so there's your answer for why they can now be fitted, some people want it. I would!

To answer the "assuming part" : most of my friends are also paraglider pilots and those who have a van (T4 or T5) are all looking for more ground clearance (or at least no less ground clearance, for sure).
And as I said on the previous post, I read a lot about tricks to get higher clearance and it's the first time I read something about lowering a 4 Motion. Good for those who were waiting for this...

James said:
Can we see a lowered 4 motion at COTF ?

I'll put a different badge in the back of my cali James then you'll see what one will look like Lowered ... lol lol :)

James said:

It'll be the one grounded on its chassis, spinning all four wheels... ;)

James said:

I could let the air out of all 4 tyres if that helps :laugh2 :laugh2

choplee said:
James said:

I'll put a different badge in the back of my cali James then you'll see what one will look like Lowered ... lol lol :)

4 Motion Beach - slammed to the ground so the wheels rub on the slightest of wheel turning doing donuts in the field at COTF.

Now then... mobile.de to order lol.

The topics which cause the most debate/replies

4 Motion
DSG
Xenons
and now...
lowering

Holy s**t imagine if someone came on here with a Cali that had that spec. It would be like crossing the wires in Ghostbusters.

James

The topics which cause the most debate/replies

4 Motion
DSG
Xenons
and now...
lowering

Holy s**t imagine if someone came on here with a Cali that had that spec. It would be like crossing the wires in Ghostbusters.

PMSL !!

Having driven around on some country lanes now in our Cali I'm a bit torn about lowering.

Ignoring the whole 4mo element going on here for a minute, I do think my lowered T5 felt better than the Cali does in corners, the body roll was much improved by lowering. Problem is, the T5 was a fair bit lighter and emptier (and quite under powered) in comparison so it isn't a direct comparison.

I suppose I'm saying I can see why someone would want to lower a 4mo, just as much as I can see why someone would want to raise one, and why someone finds it perfect as it is :)

(I might be getting splinters sitting on this fence)

My new kombi is a 180 4 Motion, and sitting at SMG waiting to be registered this week, and it will most certainly be having lowering treatment, as well as full Sportline goodies!

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
My new kombi is a 180 4 Motion, and sitting at SMG waiting to be registered this week, and it will most certainly be having lowering treatment, as well as full Sportline goodies!

i need to change my type of business oli ...i can't keep up with your vehicle list change .does it get boring after awhile ..??? :bananadance

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:

i need to change my type of business oli ...i can't keep up with your vehicle list change .does it get boring after awhile ..??? :bananadance

As the ground clearance of a 4MOTION is not fantastic in the first place, lowering it a little bit is not going to affect it too much to be honest. The rear lower arms are the lowest point underneath a 4MOTION T5 and these won't get any lower if you fit lowering springs to the vehicle.

Also don't forget that the rear of a 4MOTION is lower than a 2WD T5 anyway to start with due to the extra weight on the rear so not much in it really once the front has come down a bit as well.

Lowering springs for these will be same price as 2WD springs fitted.

cheers

So whilst I'm at risk of being flamed by many, I'm seriously considering lowering my 2012 4motion. Yes it has 18"sport lines and xenons already so I'm sure to come under even more flack for this next change, but I'm convinced the standard springs cause far to much wallow driving through twisty lanes. (No I've not got DSG though, phew!)

I lowered my old T25 by 40mm and that transformed it completely, lovely to drive once lowered, like a wallowing barge before.

I'm presuming the fact that the springs are uprated would mean the lowering on a 4motion isn't actually 30mm front and rear. I presume the front would come down more than the rear (because the same weight pushing down on a softer spring will induce more travel than on a lowered firmer spring)

Anyone got recent experience and pics of actually doing this mod on a face lifted 4m?

Here's a photo of my July collected 4motion lowered by VW

Richard

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375294399.159518.jpg

Hi MisterTea

I have had a new 4Motion for 2 months now and had it lowered about 2 weeks after it was delivered by SMG Cowfold (the van was in because the roof hydraulics threw a wobbly but that's another story). Pre lowering it pitched and rolled quite a bit although I wouldn't call it uncomfortable. Most noticeable was the roll where you tended to drift out a bit in corners if going a little too fast.

After lowering everything was much tighter and the pitch and roll much improved without affecting the ride too much. It's still a van so, even after lowering, it still rolls a bit but I think it is a great improvement from the standard Cali. Mrs FF thinks so as well. Ground clearance doesn't appear to be compromised too much either.

FF

Apple/Mr Tea - I have a 4motion and the rear is slightly lower than the front. What is yours like after lowering - is it more even? Can you say a bit more about the effect of lowering on the ride quality? Also how much did the lowering cost?

Thanks

Lets not forget the basic principles of physics here. It's all about C of G (Centre of Gravity).
From a handling perspective the lower the better. Fact.
Ground clearance is another matter.

Also you may find that a lowered front (and possibly rear in the case of the 4Mo) will provide more negative camber which will also help with grip.
It all depends on exactly what ride height the vehicle was designed around for optimum performance/dynamics.
Given that the platform has so many applications there can't possibly be an optimum for all. It may just be that the sweet spot for a Cali (4mo or other) may be at -30mm.

S.

ps. Personal pref, cost no option. 4Mo, lowered BIG Carlos Fandango's.

Did I mention I'm off to France shortly for 18 days? WHHAAA HA HAAAA (evil laugh).

Back