Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Want to lower your 4MOTION California?

smgcowfoldparts

smgcowfoldparts

Trade Advertiser
You now can.

Springs are now available from Volkswagen that are suitable to fit to a 4MOTION vehicle

cheers

No. Would think that you would have to do more than springs to lift by 30mm.

cheers

not sure to see why someone would choose to have 4 Motion and a lower frame (?). A higher one would indeed make more sense...

frigorifix said:
not sure to see why someone would choose to have 4 Motion and a lower frame (?). A higher one would indeed make more sense...

Traction rather than ground clearance but less body roll etc... wet grass and mud rather than rocks and serious off road.

That being said, I'm currently looking for a Syncro T25 DOKA to complete my dream collection. ;)

SimplyDubs said:
frigorifix said:

Traction rather than ground clearance but less body roll etc... wet grass and mud rather than rocks and serious off road.

That being said, I'm currently looking for a Syncro T25 DOKA to complete my dream collection. ;)

We've established we share the same taste in Veedubs - T25 Doka Tristar?

James

frigorifix said:

+1!!!

Our 4 motion was lowered by VW MD from new in 2008!!!

See pics on forum

The handling is superb with enough ground clearance for most uses

KernowLad said:
frigorifix said:

+1!!!

Makes perfect sense - as good as the 4 motion may be it is primarily a system designed for traction therefore for those not wishing to transcend mountain ranges and who just need the extra security and traction of four wheel drive then a lowering the 4 motion is not as defeatist as it first sounds.

I suspect most people with 4 motion appreciate the extra grip and security and for daily driving this is what they actually use.

in this sense, the height of of the vehicle is neither here nor there.

James

I 100% agree with James, the 4 Mo is an additional tool for traction and not hard core off roading, if you want to go off roading you need an Amorak.

My last 3 cars (2x Audi S3 & 1x Audi A4) have all been quattro but have also had sports suspension from the factory.

More traction from lowering? Eh?

I think people (usually without a 4mo) confuse the T5s 4wd system. Yes it gives more security on the road, especially in the wet but for us its primarily for light off road versatility. It's the same system as an Amarok and clearance aside, will do the same job but it definitely doesn't want to be lower. The 4mo is great in mud, snow, wet grass, etc, etc.

The Audis you speak of Stu are strictly on road cars so lowering isn't a problem (IMO S-line actually wrecks the ride though).

It's basically just something people want to try and look cool. Anyone throwing a Cali around enough to "need" lowering ought to slow down. I drive ours fairly swiftly on mostly rural roads; not once have I wanted it lowered.

Can't speak for everyone, but in my case, I'm driving on many dirt roads to access paragliding take-offs. I already find that the clearance is too little.

Stu : you say "get an Amarok", I'd say "get an Audi S4".

KernowLad said:

It's basically just something people want to try and look cool. Anyone throwing a Cali around enough to "need" lowering ought to slow down. I drive ours fairly swiftly on mostly rural roads; not once have I wanted it lowered.

Nobody said being lowered gives more traction. You misunderstood.

Equally speed is not the reason for lowering, it makes for more comfortable cornering and depending on your perspective enhances the look.

What's being said here is you now have the choice, many have posted asking questions about lowering 4Mo and been miffed they couldn't - now they can.

If it's not your bag then no problem.

Stu said:
KernowLad said:

Equally speed is not the reason for lowering, it makes for more comfortable cornering and depending on your perspective enhances the look.

What's being said here is you now have the choice, many have posted asking questions about lowering 4Mo and been miffed they couldn't - now they can.

Why would it be more comfortable cornering? It may corner slightly flatter but the ride will be worse. I can't think of a vehicle less appropriate for lowering. Actually people do lower Defenders; doh!!

I speak partly from experience; dad has lowered his t25 too much and its a complete nightmare to drive. He's looking to raise it again!

It makes for more comfortable cornering as there is less body roll.

You know full well the ride is likely to be more harsh on a lowered van, however we're not talking about slamming it to the ground.

As I said above what's been said is there is now the choice, you've made yours and lowering is not for you. Others think differently and will be pleased to have the choice.

KernowLad said:
Stu said:
KernowLad said:

Why would it be more comfortable cornering? It may corner slightly flatter but the ride will be worse. I can't think of a vehicle less appropriate for lowering. Actually people do lower Defenders; doh!!

I speak partly from experience; dad has lowered his t25 too much and its a complete nightmare to drive. He's looking to raise it again!

VW themselves lowered the T25 - all late Caravelle models and American Spec Vans as well as later Euro Multivan's were lowered from factory. It was a subtle lowering but it took the bounce of the van as well as giving a slightly different stance. I've owned a factory lowered T25 and in context, considering it's age and design it rode and handled well.

The reason VW offer lowering kits and have done for their transporters is that since the introduction of the Multivan back in the 80's the Transporter has not just been a van but also a capable people carrier and VW have marketed various versions as such. Several high end models have sold with an eye on the car market as opposed to the van market. Most telling is that VW.de list their Multivans under the car section on their website.

James

James; I understand it on non 4 motion road only versions but not on our Calis.

About to do a bit of off roading in mine; should be fun ;-)

KernowLad said:
James; I understand it on non 4 motion road only versions but not on our Calis.

About to do a bit of off roading in mine; should be fun ;-)

You've no choice - it's Cornwall - Offroading is the only way - I've driven many times on Cornish roads :D

:)

James

My 4M was lowered at the dealer on delivery, a previous post indicated it should not have been lowered, that post was not correct, dependant upon Chassis Number (Mine is a 2008) the 4M can and has been lowered for 5 years + so it is not a "New" conversion at all.

In my view it improved the van considerably for handling and aesthetically, have a look at the pics of my van if you want to see how it looks with -30mm and Speedlines (Pre Facelift of course)

Can't speak about the handling but I know for the use of the Cali I've got, I would be pretty angry to have to think twice about driving on a rocky dirt road because my van would be 3cm closer to the ground.
I agree that it looks nice but I won't sacrifice the clearance for the looks.

frigorifix said:
Can't speak about the handling but I know for the use of the Cali I've got, I would be pretty angry to have to think twice about driving on a rocky dirt road because my van would be 3cm closer to the ground.

Have you got mud flaps? We have and I already find the rear ones catch a lot. With a 30mm drop, it would be a PITA.

Always been very into cars - my dad had loads of nice kit and I've had some fairly nice stuff plus driven a zillion "serious" motors plus done IAM and cop training but not once have I ever considered lowering a car or sticking aftermarket alloys on a car/van of mine.

This is one car enthusiast who will always get the smallest wheels possible (that fit over the brakes - 17s for both vehicles at the moment), the highest profile rubber and hoon around with a big smile on my face be it in the van or the car.

As for the 4Motion Cali - it's great for light off road duties however I find it slightly curious that the two members that "contribute" the most regularly on them don't actually have them... ;)

I also find it odd that the "outdoor gear" company Berghaus (who very good kit IMO) brought out a model not only lacking 4Motion but also with large alloys on lowish profile rubber. Strange... :?:

KernowLad said:
frigorifix said:

Have you got mud flaps? We have and I already find the rear ones catch a lot. With a 30mm drop, it would be a PITA.

Always been very into cars - my dad had loads of nice kit and I've had some fairly nice stuff plus driven a zillion "serious" motors plus done IAM and cop training but not once have I ever considered lowering a car or sticking aftermarket alloys on a car/van of mine.

This is one car enthusiast who will always get the smallest wheels possible (that fit over the brakes - 17s for both vehicles at the moment), the highest profile rubber and hoon around with a big smile on my face be it in the van or the car.

As for the 4Motion Cali - it's great for light off road duties however I find it slightly curious that the two members that "contribute" the most regularly on them don't actually have them... ;)

I also find it odd that the "outdoor gear" company Berghaus (who very good kit IMO) brought out a model not only lacking 4Motion but also with large alloys on lowish profile rubber. Strange... :?:

Who are the two members who contribute regularly about 4 Motions but don't have them?

Back