Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Want to lower your 4MOTION California?

Gasf said:
Apple/Mr Tea - I have a 4motion and the rear is slightly lower than the front. What is yours like after lowering - is it more even? Can you say a bit more about the effect of lowering on the ride quality? Also how much did the lowering cost?

Thanks

Here's a pic of mine this morning in sunny York. Can't comment on the standard set up as lowered from new. I also have a T25 westie with standard suspension and it is very Wollowie, and the demo Cali I took felt slightly stiffer but the same. Thought I would get it done first and see, especially as its 4motion and I get to keep the standard springs too. Cost ... I think it was a £136 option ??

Also, I think I only really need the 4motion traction on slippery surfaces and not the true off road ability (ground clearance) as I will be 99% on road.

So far handles pretty good.... But I do drive with the mind it is still a heavy van :0)

Cheers

Richard

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375344164.471481.jpg

Cheers chaps for all these photos.. I think this makes a good case for a little modification to be scheduled to our Cali.

MisterTea said:
Cheers chaps for all these photos.. I think this makes a good case for a little modification to be scheduled to our Cali.

break the mould MisterTea and don't go with the masses ...."raise it up ,as it is a 4motion" :thumb

4 Motion system is designed primarily as an offload system - it can be and outside of the UK VW offer options to enable this.

So lowering the Cali makes perfect sense - if only you need is the traction benefits of 4 motion then lowering it seems a good idea.

People do have a tendency to associate any four wheel drive system as being off road and the only reason for it. That's not the only benefit or application for four wheel drive systems.

I think your van looks awesome lowered :).

James

Offload? Is that Chinese for Offroad?

The Cali system is beneficial on and off road - we have a 140 Caravelle at the moment - twice it wheelspun pulling smartly out of a junction. The 4Motion never does that.

It understeers when pushed hardish (it's a loan car after all...) around bends - the 4Motion doesn't.

Yet it also copes with mud, wet grass and (apparently) snow and ice very well too. So while something like an Audi R8's system is purely for on road benefits and a Defender is purely (almost) off road, the 4Motion T5.1 does both in one vehicle.

I can't see the point in lowering one as it's pretty low as it is but each to their own.

As you say, each to their own.

And my requirements are to a) improve comfort and handling and dynamics by eliminating the overly wallowing suspension b) increase stability in corners by firming suspension. and to do this it is long proven approach to lower by 30 to 40 mm, and use firmer springs.

I did this to my old T25, and it transformed from a barge to drive, to a car-like vehicle to drive.
And the minor alteration in ride height is hardly a deficit to use for 1% of time it's used off road or in deep snow.

MisterTea said:
As you say, each to their own.

And my requirements are to a) improve comfort and handling and dynamics by eliminating the overly wallowing suspension b) increase stability in corners by firming suspension. and to do this it is long proven approach to lower by 30 to 40 mm, and use firmer springs.

I did this to my old T25, and it transformed from a barge to drive, to a car-like vehicle to drive.
And the minor alteration in ride height is hardly a deficit to use for 1% of time it's used off road or in deep snow.

Mister Tea

If VW offer you the choice to lower your 4 Motion it must be okay. It can be an off road device but 4 Motions has many different benefits.

My old T25 actually handled quite well but it was lowered from factory - can't pretend it was a big bus but handled okay.

I think your lowered 4 Motion looks smart.

James

How cool is that? Excellent stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

After reading this post I can't help but think people
Seem to forget that its about help and advise on different topics,
If I had a 4 motion and wanted to lower it these posts would be a second opinion
Lowering cars vans does improve the ride more stable ect not always making it
Worse by any means cheap crap springs would but Vw springs are made
For the job .i think if you want to lower it go for it,after all your the one that payed out around 45k for it so if you want a better ride and nicer look go for it.after all
It's a camper for wet muddy campsites doing lots miles all year round
Not a land rover for climbing mountains????.so people should stop ramming there
Opinion down other people's throats.and if the said person wants to drive his camper
Hard into corners he should prob fill his cupboards full ov bubble wrap to stop all
The breakages or maybe just keep his strong opinion to himself

Exactly fella .... Everyone has there own thoughts and opinions on everything and if we where all the same how boring would that be ....:)
Your money you paid for it you do what you like :)

Good point Lee, if we were all the same, I would be walking around in lounge pants and wellies!

:laugh2

Turns out our van was already lowered when we bought it (-30mm on Sportline springs), it's hardly glued to the ground now, so lord knows what it was like before!

I would like to see a raised one, but not sure I'd want to drive it!

EDIT: By the way, I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire, as you should do with your van what you wish, as long as it's not dangerous to you or others.

Ian

Don't anyone get any ideas the lounge pants and wellies us mine .... Lol
I couldn't deal with it if everyone else dressed that way ... Lol :-(

You now can.

Springs are now available from Volkswagen that are suitable to fit to a 4MOTION vehicle

cheers

Hi Steve, apologies for resurrecting a four year old thread, but I'd love to know if this is still the case, referring to a T6 Beach 4Motion DSG? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Back