Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wardrobe Organisation

Although the thread is ostensibly about the wardrobe, it brings into question how you pack the rest of the van too.

In our 5.1 SE we had hats, gloves and a few medical bits on the top shelf in the wardrobe. The remainder housed food mainly stored in recycled shoe boxes and cereal boxes - cardboard doesn’t squeak.

We have around 4 days of clothes in the overhead locker, which are resupplied from packing cubes held in a large box under the bed extension. I wonder if we are unusual rejecting the wardrobe for clothes and using the overhead locker instead?
I also use packing cubes in the overhead locker for my clothes. It works great for me.

We tried hanging a shoe rack from the wardrobe pole (similar to picture below), with the plan being to store packing cubes on each shelf, but it still didn’t really work very well.

IMG_1997.jpeg

Are we the only people to hang clothes in the wardrobe on hangars? Seems like the ideal place to store clothing, though my wife does like to remain fashionable even when camping!
We use it as a wardrobe too, seems like a ‘no brainer’ to us, built for hanging items.
Jackets , trousers, fleeces on hangers, in our case 3 each. A hanging net over 2 hangers housing underwear, t shirts and socks. An IKEA box on the bottom that all worn clothes ( T-shirts, socks , underwear, are placed into.) Boots and sandals are in the boot area.
The overhead drawer is used for PJ’s, towels and wash bags ( we use swim bags for carrying towels/ toiletries to shower facilities)
Under bed drawer we have IKEA boxes housing miscellaneous books, games, radio, washing line, awning peg boxes, mallet, dog spike out, side window blinds and mosquito nets. And a few other bits n bobs !
Our kitchen ‘stuff’ is as it were, in the kitchen and that includes a Porta potti ( still unused after 5 years! ) taking up one side !!!
Other side, boxed are crockery, cafetière, kettle, Ridge monkey, pots,CO 2 monitor, collapsable bin, basin, colander, wee brush set , washing up cloths n liquids, two external anti mosquito lights.
We have a drivers side seat back hanging Brandup storage container, good for all sorts…. torches, power packs, tablets ( fit in largest pocket) wallets, keys, spectacles etc.
I know I must have forgotten some things ….. oh yes the collapsable dog bowls and two portable water bottles…. lol.
I think I’ll leave what we pack in the boot till a later date …. Lol

I also use packing cubes in the overhead locker for my clothes. It works great for me.
I like the idea of using the overhead locker for packing cubes (currently we store towels and washbags there). Is there a weight limit for the overhead locker?

Another vote for maximising the space as intended by the designers.
All clothes that hang are hung in the wardrobe, with a sealable ‘laundry bag’ in the void. The nasty ridged rail is no longer ridged.
Food in RHS cupboard (in three boxes, for breakfast, ingredients and larder items), pots etc in LHS.
Rear wardrobe has three stiff felt boxes for all clothes that don’t hang.
Top locker for nightwear, toilet bags, towels.
Bedding on the bed board except pillows which double up as cushions on the back seat.
Under bed drawer for camping paraphernalia (thank goodness for predictive text).
Between the front seats goes a low close fitting Really Useful box for all the tat that gets mislaid, eg pegs, food bags, spare batteries, tablets, etc.
We haven’t quite fathomed what the heck fits in the ‘spice rack’ above the fridge. Suggestions welcome. ;)

Same - all the bedding lives in there and then the boot shelf is free as a daily driver. When camping we just take normal holdalls or cases with our clothes in, neat and tidy in the boot. For longer trips we would put the cases in a pop up tent and use as a dressing room. Managed like this with 4 of us no problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, I drive my van a few times a week and want it to be uncluttered, whilst having most things we need in situ in case we suddenly decide to go away

We bought a pack of Higher Hangers whilst in the US after reading a recommendation on here years ago. Really good use of space as they save four inches + at the hanger. My Wife expertly packs a complete change of clothes per hanger in order of likely waring which really helps us bring nearly all of them back home unworn.
Postage is prohibitive internationally, but if you’re there and can get them delivered somewhere whilst travelling…

We bought a pack of Higher Hangers whilst in the US after reading a recommendation on here years ago. Really good use of space as they save four inches + at the hanger. My Wife expertly packs a complete change of clothes per hanger in order of likely waring which really helps us bring nearly all of them back home unworn.
Postage is prohibitive internationally, but if you’re there and can get them delivered somewhere whilst travelling

Postage is prohibitive internationally, but if you’re there and can get them delivered somewhere whilst travelling…
Thanks for the tip re higher hangers. I’ve just ordered some from a UK company called Well Hung.

Back