Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I hate the wardrobe!

V

Virgil574

Another one using the Wardrobe as those nice designers meant it. Just got back from 10 days away to Paris and this is packing regimen, roughly:

Wardrobe: Hanging up - MrsVirgil's blouses, trousers, dresses and shorts. Our ten-year-old's shorts, trousers and a couple of shirts. My shorts and trousers. Stuffed in the bottom of the wardrobe: Raincoats (light ones, not padded).

Shelving at the rear left (behind wardrobe): Top shelf - 3 sports towels, 2 mesh dive-bags that we use for used laundry, few odds and ends. Middle Shelf - Sons T-shirts, undies and socks (the latter in a small bag to stop them going everywhere). Bottom Shelf - MrsVirgil's T-shirts, unmentionables (damnit, I just mentioned them!), socks, nicknacks and Kindle (so she can get at it when in bed).

Upper Storage (above rear window): My T-shirts, mentionables, socks and a few other bits like phone chargers, iPad etc. (and room to spare to be honest - I like that space, but because it is one of the less-easily opened bits of storage I get to myself :D )

Under the bed at the back: 4 foldable crates, one with food (essentials, and a couple of basics for emergencies), one with shoes, one with games (board and outdoor), two with hook-up cable, electrical stuff and various nicknacks. Also, 1 large umbrella, 1 beach mat and the son's fold up scooter.

We move the back seat forward a touch, stick a pop-up Quechua Base Seconds tent behind the back of the seat, add the son's camping chair and the leveling ramp/chocks... Job done.

On the back of the drivers seat we have one of the Brandrup multi-pocket things - worth it's weight in gold! From emergency bog-roll to the MacBook (if we feel the need) and all points betwixt, it'll all go in there!

Only issue this packing caused was that when we went to get on the Eurotunnel, we were stopped for a random gas check, the guys gathered around the Cali and asked where the gas bottle was. I then had to spend several embarrassing seconds routing around with MrsVirgil's unmentionables (argh! done it again! :doh ) to get to the gas bottle... don't get me wrong I usually enjoy routing around with the aforementioned (no, not the gas bottle, silly!), but I prefer to wait 'til she's in them. :D :eek:

TBH we love the wardrobe, OK the access doors could be slightly bigger and easier to manage and we steered well clear of having the safe at the bottom. Having put the safe in our old splitty under the rock-n-roll bed base and have the bed base hit me on the back of the head enumerate times - we were wary of putting it somewhere safe-to-be but also safe-to-get-at... not telling where ours is though! ;)

But all in all, Me Likey!

C

Cavilln

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Yes it is a bit of a tricky shape.

We found the best thing was to treat it like a stuff sack. So we shove all the sleeping bags and pillows in there and shut it for the day. then when everyone is ready for bed (roof up, bed down, etc) the bags are all to hand. clothes then go in stuff sacs in the rear area and in the awning at night.

I still haven't worked out what to use the under-seat slidey drawer for yet. Last trip it became the home for most of the food and that seemed good as it was all to hand.

D

David&Sue

I was just about to ask the same question. Agree with most of the posts on this subject - complete waste of space. I considered making my own shelves but knowing my diy skills are worse than appalling, didn't want to risk it.

Anyone bought these yet? Looking at the pictures I wonder if everything will just fall to the bottom anyway as the front right corner seems to be cut away?

It would be good to be able to use that space.

Billy

Billy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Don't for get the club has its own shelf conversion kit available now, these are also made in Germany and are only £134.99 inc delivery, first batch have sold out but more are due towards the end of this week.

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/wardrobe_shelf.php

wardshelf1.JPG

wardshelf2.JPG

G

gatvol

We put as much as we can on coat hangers. I am 6' 5" and it works fine.

I made coat hangers by taking cheapo wire ones and "squashing" them upwards so they are more rectangular rather than triangular, to save vertical space. Using wire ones saves on the limited horizontal space too. I also re-bend the hooks much tighter and trim the surplus off with small bolt cutters so they waste no vertical space either. I then put heat shrink wrap insulation on the reprofiled coat hanger hook so that it has a smooth, snag free finish

I take plastic trouser hangers (like from m and s) and use these as they come, but have two pairs of trousers per hanger. 'Er indoors shirts go on top of the trouser hangers if need be.

I have the safe beneath the hung clothes, but keep my gear in a plastic bag so that it is easier to retrieve. You can cram loads in the wardrobe if you use adjusted wire hangers like this - cramming clothes in stops any rattles. Yes it is a faff to get to the hanger you want in the morning, but the mass of storage created more than makes up for this.

I also thought the wardrobe was crap, until I made these hangers. Now I think it is a good compromise. Hanging clothes in it like this frees up space in the under seat drawer.

2CV67

2CV67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
David&Sue said:
Looking at the pictures I wonder if everything will just fall to the bottom anyway as the front right corner seems to be cut away?

The corner is not cut off the ones in my post..
type3eingebaut.jpg

...and the shelves SEEM to have raised edges.

Archie

Archie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We use it for bedding
13 tog down duvet, 2 sleeping bags for the kids, 3 pillows and sheets for downstairs bed.
Full to bursting so couldn't be a better use of space.
Clothes (mostly Rohan so no creasing issues) stay in holdalls.

Barryjm

Barryjm

VIP Member
Yep, another for the bedding , extremely useful! One double duvet, two single sleeping bags, top and bottom sheets plus a few other things that can be jammed in!

Have also used it for shirt and trousers when away on business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have another style of wardrobe shelf conversion kit coming soon, these have raised edges and also have spare room to hang cothes from the rail.

Watch this space!

SchrankausbauMedium2.jpg SchrankausbauMedium3.jpg

S

spf650

Fully agree on Rohan clothing, though for underwear I am slowly moving towards Bridgedale and icebreaker instead. Almost any reasonable quality Merino wool and/or bamboo is brilliant for fast wicking and being warm and fast drying. Fast drying is really the key as you never end up with much dirty clothing. I wash clothing as often as possible, usually daily, the same as when I go on extended cycling or backpacking trips. Towel-rolling is a great way to dry clothes quickly without creasing them, but of course you then need to dry the towels.Though electric hand driers are quite handy here ;) I backpacked with a 32L backpack for over a year, with the above. So the california seems seems huge! I have added eagle creek packing cubes to my packing list for the California,they just keeps things tidier. To answer the original question, I use the wardrobe as a wet locker. Wetsuits, flotation and life jackets, hardshells, over trousers etc oh ..... and hanging wet washing whilst enroute in an "emergency"

VW California Club