Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

WARNING VW's new approach to roof probs!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Had my canvas and a scissor arm replaced by dealership. Luckily the scissor arm was the issue as VW appear to have recently issued a new directive that roof / canvas damage is not a warranty item as most probs are in fact due to customers not strictly adhering to procedures for lowering roof. So you may get into a protracted discussion with your dealership if you have a prob with this and know you did things right and not windy etc etc
Personally I suspect there's a bit of a design fault here as there's threads all about this and Calikev's idea of elastic attached to each side to pull in as roof lowers will be what I need to sort!
I think procedure from VW should include: stop half way down and check, inside and out, canvas is pulling in correctly etc. They ought to add it to display checklist! I never really did this, just trusted if you did as told it would work. But I will make it routine now even if alone and have to get out and walk round!

David Eccles said:
... I think procedure from VW should include: stop half way down and check, inside and out, canvas is pulling in correctly etc. ...

I think that anybody who doesn't routinely do this must be a bit of a fool to be frank. The design of the thing just shouts imminent danger :shocked

Agreed. It takes me ages to put the roof down whatever the weather, probably stop about 4 times and walk around to check as well as peering up into the roof whilst lowering.
I had a couple of close shaves early on in our ownership but no problems since.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

OK hands held up..no fool like an old fool.
cant find a smiley to fit if cap fits wear it :sad
I know all about the issues and probs people have had but was so awed by technology and general design excellence (cab curtains apart til just recently!) that I just trusted in things just working...
for 14 months (despite worrying every time it) it just worked smooth as smooth and always did what supposed - except actually see if OK!
Sods law - my column in new VW Bus mag is about almost finally being blase about the roof :oops: :lol:

Ive been having it out with VW for over 12months about the design fault(see other thread) and they still wont admit it. Terrible for a £50k vehicle!! :headbang

I picked up our Cali from Liverpool in late March and was told that VW will always regard damage caused when closing the roof as a user error. It does follow the trend whether justified or not.

Is this a common experience?

Sometime ago whilst reading about roof bellows issues, I came across a picture posted on this forum showing how to use a piece of elastic to draw in the sides of the roof canvas whilst closing. Copying the suggestion, I bought about 12feet of elastic from a haberdasher, threaded it through the lower side 'window' zip toggles towards the rear of the van and back so both loose ends were in my hand forming a triangle. When one lowers the roof, one holds the elastic with slight tension, the sides pull in, and because the elastic is free running, applies the same pull to both sides.

Let go of the elastic as the roof closes so there is no tension to the bellows zip toggles when the lid is down.

Has worked for me (touching wood) and as it is a one handed operation one can simultaneously monitor inside the roof and operate the switch.

Sorry for the long post but whoever had the idea and kindly posted the photo - it was a good one and very simple :thumb

Dave

Good idea indeed. Do you know where this picture is ?

It was my idea I will try and find the picture :thumb

Here just to give you an idea I just have elastic from one side to the other this allows the bellows to pull inwards

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

We've not had any problems so far, but one of us lowers the roof whilst the other walks round and continually checks everything is ok.

The elastic idea between the zips is an excellent idea. I'll be applying that to add an extra level of safety.

Hi all,

First post, been looking at calis for a while and now officially fallen in love with them, may be purchasing in dec, anyway.

Read a lot about the bellows issue and saw my first Cali yesterday at a dealers and it occurred to me that the stiffening rods all have a split in the middle that would be perfect for a one way hinge with a light spring action, that way the bellows would naturally close inwards when going down.

Have previously thought it might be a good idea to sew in a hookable elastic to the same position to connect all the rods together, but I can see others have had that thought, are there any photos of a successful implementation of this method in the board?

ah! ok i get it now - just seen the roof bungee

brilliant solution, just watched the video to the roof bungee and I can see that is the most simple and brilliant solution, also easiest to implement...

doh! :idea:

Calikev said:
Here just to give you an idea I just have elastic from one side to the other this allows the bellows to pull inwards
I tried this last year & it worked OK.
Then I wondered what would happen if I forgot & left the elastic on & raised the bed for more headroom...
I guess this would not be good for the zips or maybe even the bellows?
So I stopped using it & am now wondering about the all-round bungee unless there is anything better coming...

2CV67 said:
Calikev said:
I tried this last year & it worked OK.
Then I wondered what would happen if I forgot & left the elastic on & raised the bed for more headroom...
I guess this would not be good for the zips or maybe even the bellows?
So I stopped using it & am now wondering about the all-round bungee unless there is anything better coming...

Yes I agree the bellows bungee is a better idea as it is not tight or restrictive and can't damage
Anything :thumb

Back