Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David R

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I have just travelled down through France to Spain, crossing the border south of Perpingnon. We stopped at the 1st service station south of the border (Porto Catalan) on AP7. A group of young men, perhaps 10 -12 in number a\in 3 black cars pulled up behind me. All 20 - 30 yrs. they pointed to a rear tyre (which was fine) and then one got out and knocked on the window. He kept asking to "check the tyre" whilst looking over his shoulder at the other men in their cars who were watching on. It felt very wrong and somewhat threatening. I am aware of previous warnings about groups of young men damaging tyres at peage booths and then robbing the owners when they pull up shortly after as the tyre runs flat. I engaged the central locking and moved off but it was clear that these guys were up to no good.

Please stay alert and travel safely

D

I have just travelled down through France to Spain, crossing the border south of Perpingnon. We stopped at the 1st service station south of the border (Porto Catalan) on AP7. A group of young men, perhaps 10 -12 in number a\in 3 black cars pulled up behind me. All 20 - 30 yrs. they pointed to a rear tyre (which was fine) and then one got out and knocked on the window. He kept asking to "check the tyre" whilst looking over his shoulder at the other men in their cars who were watching on. It felt very wrong and somewhat threatening. I am aware of previous warnings about groups of young men damaging tyres at peage booths and then robbing the owners when they pull up shortly after as the tyre runs flat. I engaged the central locking and moved off but it was clear that these guys were up to no good.

Please stay alert and travel safely

D

Scary!

We are in that area now - Blanes. We were intending to top up with fuel just before leaving Spain. We might do so in town rather than on the motorway.

10 to 12 men?? 3 cars??? Thats a lot pretty much overkill and Very scary.
Decided to pull this on you at a service station? Bit stupid.
And they let you get away? Weird.

But you make me very mindful not to get suckered and open the door to check. Thanks

But you make me very mindful not to get suckered and open the door to check. Thanks
Well perhaps it was an opportunistic thing en route to or fro something else. However, it was plainly a rehearsed scenario, common sense told me that something was not right and they were clearly up to no good. I simply want to warn others about this

i agree it sounds like I was imagining it but I can assure you it was real and unpleasant. For more on this read the following link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...liday-makers-alert-surge-attacks-UK-cars.html

Thanks for the warning, we were heading that way in July so we will keep our wits about us.

Well perhaps it was an opportunistic thing en route to or fro something else. However, it was plainly a rehearsed scenario, common sense told me that something was not right and they were clearly up to no good. I simply want to warn others about this

i agree it sounds like I was imagining it but I can assure you it was real and unpleasant. For more on this read the following link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...liday-makers-alert-surge-attacks-UK-cars.html

The article is over 5 years old by the way

Guess what popped up on the other Forum.
View attachment 45593
Guess what popped up on the other Forum.
View attachment 45593
And? I am totally baffled by the responses of some members of this forum. Having been subjected to exactly the type of robbery scam that has been described in the past, on exactly the same stretch of road, I have posted these messages so that fellow club members (I have a Marco Polo) can be aware of this type of scenario. Most folk have beengrateful and felt that this was helpful (as intended). One guy was abusive however. Why not post on both campervan sites and I have also posted on my classic car club site.

Status
Not open for further replies.