Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Yet another bl**dy puncture!

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Living down here in the South East it seems impossible to get the full benefit from a set of tyres. Over the last few years I have had dozens of punctures, many requiring new tyres. The latest being this week. This latest one was very slow puncture that set off the tyre pressure sensor thingy. Incidentally I discovered that this device actually tells you which tyre to check.

This whole problem isn't helped by the local farmers who at this time of year carry out hedge cutting. A proceedure that involves their using machines that smash the hedges into shape and in doing so spreading the assorted prickly waste all over the road. This is left for the passing motorist to clear up with obvious results.

Having taken our 5000 mile Cali Beach front wheel/tyre to our local tyre depot I received the usual response of "you need a new tyre mate"! The fitter explained that the tyre had a pin hole in the shoulder, "which is a major repair and we don't do major repairs"! Well I have never heard of a major repair before. Any puncture in that part of the tyre and sods law means that it usually is, has always resulted in a new tyre.

Before I fork out for yet another new tyre can anyone please advise me on this "major repair"? And is it worth bothering with?

Having taken our 5000 mile Cali Beach front wheel/tyre to our local tyre depot I received the usual response of "you need a new tyre mate"! The fitter explained that the tyre had a pin hole in the shoulder, "which is a major repair and we don't do major repairs"! Well I have never heard of a major repair before. Any puncture in that part of the tyre and sods law means that it usually is, has always resulted in a new tyre.

Before I fork out for yet another new tyre can anyone please advise me on this "major repair"? And is it worth bothering with?
Boris
Unfortunate - shoulders can be tricky, but try the local backstreet guys, they often take the time to repair a tyre that the national chains want you to write-off, so they can sell you the new tyre. I could recommend one, but Staffordshire's a bit too far!

I bought one of these kits http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2210...=1007441&device=c&campaignid=628893806&crdt=0 and used it to fix a pin sized hole in the shoulder of one of my Ford Ranger tyres. That was about 3000 miles ago and the tyre has maintained pressure since the repair.

To carry out the repair you find the hole, deflate the tyre push some glue into the hole with one of the tools, put glue onto the rubber plug push it into the hole twist and remove the tool and cut the plug down, then re-inflate tyre. Job done.

I also carry a repair kit as @bigmac77 shows....
Never used it and hope never need to , but can come handy if you are handy:D

Last edited:
I had punctures repaired like that on other cars ( done by a local tyre centre ) . They do this a lot and assured to be safe .
I still got the repaired tyre on my other car , an other repaired tyre on the wife's car did the job until they needed changed ( profile gone)

You can use it and have the tyre replaced later.

I did have a new tyre a few years ago (non Cali days) with a very big nail in middle of the tread repairer said a major repair could be done had to be sent off and was fine we were away on holiday in the west country and the fitter gave us a spare tyre for a fiver and we sent the tyre off when we got home - only for a tread pair understand side wall damage equals not repairable

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't trust a repair in the side wall / shoulder of a tyre no matter who did it, to much flexing going on.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

I have seen those kits before and may buy one. Tyre depots repair tyres in the tread area using the same sort of gubins. We are off on a Cali trip to Scotland later this month and intend to do some island hopping. So it could well come in useful. However I too wouldn't want to use it on the shoulder.

I am interested in kwowing whether a pin hole in the shoulder can be professionally repaired (the so called major repair) or does it have to be a new tyre every time? If it can be repaired how is it done and is it an economic option?
I intend to have a good ring around tomorrow. If I discover the answers I will let you all know. Up until now I have always been led to believe that a puncture in the shoulder means a new tyre.

What is the diffrence between side wall and sholder as you indeed can not put a plug (self repair) in the side of the tyre only in the flat part...

What is the diffrence between side wall and sholder as you indeed can not put a plug (self repair) in the side of the tyre only in the flat part...
Hello HC,
When I say shoulder I mean the corner between the side wall and the tread area. I don't know if that is the correct term. I agree. My understanding is also that the side walls cannot be repaired but I don't know about the shoulder.

Thankx for the explanation @Borris .
I was thinking repair can only be done in the " tread area" as you call it ( diffrent language makes is somtimes difficult ;))

Thankx for the explanation @Borris .
I was thinking repair can only be done in the " tread area" as you call it ( diffrent language makes is somtimes difficult ;))
Well I think you may well be correct. I had a quick look on the web last night and it would seem that any form of repair to the side walls are not allowed in the UK at least. The only permissible repairs are those carried out within a defined width of the thread area. That defined width depends on the type of tyre.This was my understanding in the first place.
SimonB has just telephoned me to suggest using a tin of squirty aerosol tyre sealant. It can't do any harm as the alternative is a new tyre. I will give it a try. It's only got to stop a pin prick leak that looses around 4 - 5 psi every two or three days.

Well I think you may well be correct. I had a quick look on the web last night and it would seem that any form of repair to the side walls are not allowed in the UK at least. The only permissible repairs are those carried out within a defined width of the thread area. That defined width depends on the type of tyre.This was my understanding in the first place.
SimonB has just telephoned me to suggest using a tin of squirty aerosol tyre sealant. It can't do any harm as the alternative is a new tyre. I will give it a try. It's only got to stop a pin prick leak that looses around 4 - 5 psi every two or three days.
Slime. http://www.slime.com/us/index.php
Available at Halfords, Amazon eBay.

Personally I would use it as a get you home, or in the spare tyre.

Firstly Borris, my condolences. I have gone through 4 tyres on Albert, but three of those have been accidental damage with a large degree of "self-inflicted" attached to them.

However, as parsimonious as I can often be, those small bits of rubber are the only things between me and the road and as much as it hurts me, the slightest damage then the tyre's replaced.

Irrational I know, but the one time that I had a tyre repaired I found myself the following week travelling at 70mph with my children in the vehicle and I literally could not sleep for days after.

So, irrationally yours, but my tuppence-worth with silly old bat good intentions.

Firstly Borris, my condolences. I have gone through 4 tyres on Albert, but three of those have been accidental damage with a large degree of "self-inflicted" attached to them.

However, as parsimonious as I can often be, those small bits of rubber are the only things between me and the road and as much as it hurts me, the slightest damage then the tyre's replaced.

Irrational I know, but the one time that I had a tyre repaired I found myself the following week travelling at 70mph with my children in the vehicle and I literally could not sleep for days after.

So, irrationally yours, but my tuppence-worth with silly old bat good intentions.
Thanks WG and GJ,
I bought a tin of Slime this afternoon and have stuck it in. The instructions confirm your advice that it is only to be used as a get you home temporary repair. So the Slime is a short term measure until I can have the tyre replaced. Actually that would have been done yesterday but the tyre depot didn't have one in stock.

I too have always replaced tyres if there has been the slightest damage beyond a simple puncture. I never take any chances. However I am curious about this "major repair" carried out by the manufacturers. If they are doing these repairs then surely they must be OK. As to whether they are an economical alternative to a new tyre, well I just don't know. I will try to find out more.

Last edited:
I carry one of these....

s-l500.jpg
........and a 12v compressor!

Having run flat Tyres on my BMW which few dealers want to repair (but don't stock the right size replacement either! leaving you stranded...I bought one a few years ago.

I have plugged 'screw holes' in the tread area of several different car tyres now and it works brilliantly, takes a little muscle power to clean out the hole and then get the insertion tool into the hole (lubricate the bore on the insertion tool before inserting a plug!)....non have ever leaked.

This is sold as a temporary 'get you home' solution, but as the plug is rivet shaped with the big end inside the tyre, I have never had one let me down. Takes the pain out of punctures, you don't even have to take the wheel off and means you can get the tyre professionaly fixed at your convenience.

Just a thought.

I carry one of these....

View attachment 16920
........and a 12v compressor!

Having run flat Tyres on my BMW which few dealers want to repair (but don't stock the right size replacement either! leaving you stranded...I bought one a few years ago.

I have plugged 'screw holes' in the tread area of several different car tyres now and it works brilliantly, takes a little muscle power to clean out the hole and then get the insertion tool into the hole (lubricate the bore on the insertion tool before inserting a plug!)....non have ever leaked.

This is sold as a temporary 'get you home' solution, but as the plug is rivet shaped with the big end inside the tyre, I have never had one let me down. Takes the pain out of punctures, you don't even have to take the wheel off and means you can get the tyre professionaly fixed at your convenience.

Just a thought.
I got a puncture on my motorcycle a few weeks ago and this is what the AA used to "get me home". I used it carefully (under 50mph) for a couple of weeks waiting for the new tire to be delivered and it was faultless. The only downside is that it can make the tire irreparable, you often have to enlarge the hole to get the insertion tool in, but this maybe more the case for motorcycles (less tire area to make permanent repair).

I've just repaired a puncture in my several weeks old California! Convinced that this was from new and missed on the PDI but unable to prove. Anyway used the soapy water trick, and one of these tyre strings, fingers crossed didn't even need to remove the rear wheel which was a bonus.

Second one I've repaired this week two cars though!
I wonder would I have got the puncture if I'd not bought the repair kit? ;)

Knock on wood i got saved from punctures the last few years ,
however on tuesday when i did the 425km drive to visit the VW Hannover factory we saw 5 cars stranded allong tne way , all in diffrent places , never seen that much flat tyres in such a short distance on the motorway.
I would not feel good driving a car that hasen't got a propper spare wheel!

Back