Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Warranty Work

Morganic

Morganic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Reading through the forums it seems to me that if you have a problem and it might be fixed under warranty, it's a bit of a hit and miss situation when trying to get it done dependant on which dealer you use.
Would it be possible to have a forum listing warranty issues and highlighting which problems have dealt with under warranty.
When a club member comes up against a dealer who is reluctant to fix a problem which should be under warranty they could refer them to this site and to the same problem that had had been fixed by another dealer. They might want to reassess the situation.
Just a thought if you understand what I'm getting at.

Are you referring to problems with the "Camping" elements of the California or "Vehicle "?.
Any Van Centre should be able to deal with the "Vehicle " side of things.
However the "Camping" side of things do require an element of expertise which seems to be lacking in some Dealerships.

CAMPING.

Control Panel replaced at 12 months as unable to select Menu Items with Control Knob. Service Manager told me there was a repair kit available from VW, but it was on back order. As I was going away they replaced as VWUK could not guarantee the kit would be available in time.

Are you referring to problems with the "Camping" elements of the California or "Vehicle "?.
Any Van Centre should be able to deal with the "Vehicle " side of things.
However the "Camping" side of things do require an element of expertise which seems to be lacking in some Dealerships.

CAMPING.

Control Panel replaced at 12 months as unable to select Menu Items with Control Knob. Service Manager told me there was a repair kit available from VW, but it was on back order. As I was going away they replaced as VWUK could not guarantee the kit would be available in time.

Both. I've found over the years that some dealers will fix a problem under warranty whilst others will not.
The camping side of things well most dealers haven't a clue as I found recently when I had a habitation service. The dealer outsourced the work to a well known convertor who had even less idea. They told me my gas burners
didn't have a flame failure device so I contacted SMEG. They have and they work.
I just think that if your reluctant dealer could see that another dealer had fixed the same problem under warranty they might reconsider.

I expressed concerns about my roof dropping slightly on its offside after about 10 minutes when I took it in for its first service. I was told it was normal and nothing to be concerned about. I explained that I wasn't satisfied and would contact VWCS. They in turn suggested I obtain a second opinion. I'm glad I did as on doing so with another dealership they quickly diagnosed a faulty roof pump ( not a quick or particular easy fix ) Both dealerships have experience with Californias, the former a 80 mile round trip and the later 200 miles for me. So yes I unfortunately experienced inconsistency and a fair degree of hassle.

Back