Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water Leak !!

Andy Entwistle

Andy Entwistle

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hope someone can help.
Been away this weekend, left the top down on site due to the heavy rain, heard what could only be described as gurgling noises coming from the front end. This morning noticed the drivers footwell was wet under the mats and water in the little recess in the dash under the drivers vent !
2011 California SE. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Sounds like the drain pipe that runs from the front panel on the roof (visible when roof is up) down the A pillar might be the problem.
Hope someone can help.
Been away this weekend, left the top down on site due to the heavy rain, heard what could only be described as gurgling noises coming from the front end. This morning noticed the drivers footwell was wet under the mats and water in the little recess in the dash under the drivers vent !
Cheers

Sounds like the drain pipe that runs from the front panel on the roof (visible when roof is up) down the A pillar might be the problem.
Hi ArunAlec , thanks for the prompt reply, so you think it might just be a blockage ?

Hope someone can help.
Cheers
As stated - Front Water Drain is either blocked or one of the tubing joints has come apart. Try using Air to blow through the tubing, don’t use wire etc: as it can perforate the drain tube. See Parts 20,12,13,5. All behind the A Pillar.
637F0E66-F671-42CD-8759-A551E310C0BD.jpeg

Hi ArunAlec , thanks for the prompt reply, so you think it might just be a blockage ?
As @WelshGas says it could be a blockage but as he says be careful... the tubes are just push fits. I'd try syringing water down the tube to see if you can replicate the leak.
You haven't had any roof repairs done that could of disturbed thing ?

Thanks Welsh Gas for the diagram and advice, I'll get some air blown through then pour water through, I presume the drain should come through under the wheel arch ?

When you have had your roof closed during the rain , there can not be water there to evacuate thru those drains

As @WelshGas says it could be a blockage but as he says be careful... the tubes are just push fits. I'd try syringing water down the tube to see if you can replicate the leak.
You haven't had any roof repairs done that could of disturbed thing ?
The only repairs that have been done to my knowledge before I bought it was the usual roof corrosion under warranty at VW

It's possible water from other places (lower windscreen) also join that drain .
But if you had your roof closed there can not be water in the sides under the roof flowing to that drain

Think I'll need to check all seals and drainage holes just to make sure. First time we've had really heavy rain since we bought it so I guess its just trial and error and hopefully find the solution.
Thanks everyone for all your advice.

But if you had your roof closed there can not be water in the sides under the roof flowing to that drain
If the water seal between the roof front panel and the front edge of the roof is damaged could water be getting through to the drain?
Might be worth lifting the roof to see if there's water collecting underneath.

I don’t think a lower windscreen leak would get water into the storage area below the vent on a RHD vehicle. It would be possible from a leak in the A pillar., or the top of the windscreen that side, or the Front Roof section depending how and which type of roof repair was done.

Hi there ,
Leak now fixed. Cleaned all the drain holes as suggested. Still leaked and traced it to top corner of windscreen on drivers side. Sealed roundwindscreen and all's good :cheers

As stated - Front Water Drain is either blocked or one of the tubing joints has come apart. Try using Air to blow through the tubing, don’t use wire etc: as it can perforate the drain tube. See Parts 20,12,13,5. All behind the A Pillar.
View attachment 35975
Does anyone know where I can buy part 5? Mine has perished.
Thanks

Back