Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water pump not working

wessexcamper

wessexcamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi all,
Having a fabulous holiday with my cali by the sea in devon. Loving all the cali provides and got the insect screens in place at last! The sink pump has stopped working, i have checked the fuses by wiggling them all, suddenly the tap started working but stopped again a while later, this has happened over two days. Is this a micro switch issue? We can cope until we get home but if there is a simple fix i would love to know. i have read the posts om here about it. Note that the manual shows the fuse as number 20 but there is no fuse labelled 20 in the fuse area under the front seat. Thank you all in advance. Cali 13 plate t5

upload_2018-7-25_14-4-9.jpeg upload_2018-7-25_14-2-35.jpeg Fuse 20, 5Amp. Also worth checking the connector under the sink.

upload_2018-7-25_14-0-47.jpeg

image.png

Thanks, thats v helpful, i have checked the fuse in view of your picture and have attached a pic of the under sink wiring. A bit different to yours,but nothing obvious to me (novice)

Sounds like the tap micro switch to me try leaving the tap on for a while and see if all of a sudden it springs into life. It’s normally caused by high resistance in the micro switch. If your feeling brave disconnect the tap electric conection under the sink should be in a bit of foam tucked up near the tap and bridge the connector with a paper clip or piece of wire etc the pump should spring into action

Ok. By lifting off the water tank lid, the tap started working then stopped. I gave the tank a tap,, nothing happened. I then had another look at the fuses, the tap started working again, then stopped.

96796D96-FD94-4575-8565-F8F42CAB050F.jpeg 8ECCBBC6-AF51-497C-AF15-2C15DBCC9F2F.jpeg
Ok. By lifting off the water tank lid, the tap started working then stopped. I gave the tank a tap,, nothing happened. I then had another look at the fuses, the tap started working again, then stopped.

View looking up at the bottom of your sink bridge the wires as shown in the pictures of the pump kicks in then the tap is faulty

Ok thanks all, I have tried my best you sort this but not feeling brave enough to go any further,, will bring home on weekend, and with the right tools etc will test the fuses and see if it lies there or in the tap micro switch. Will update when we have an answer. Many thanks

Hi folks, we managed to clean the contacts of the microswitch in the tap and it is now working! We followed all the instructions on here, it was very difficult to get the sandpaper into the gap between the contacts and we should have remembered to open the tap before pulling the tap lever off. The alternative was a brand new tap as you cannot get the microswitch separately via the shop. So we have saved £30 in this process, thanks for all the help, really useful for next time! Is there meant to be a pair of tweezers in the fuse box to help with fuse removal / insertion?
Many thanks all!

Ok thanks all, I have tried my best you sort this but not feeling brave enough to go any further,, will bring home on weekend, and with the right tools etc will test the fuses and see if it lies there or in the tap micro switch. Will update when we have an answer. Many thanks
Think I am having the same problem, question is .. and this maybe a stupid one how do I get the tap handle off to get access to the micro switch its of to clean the contacts?

I have been quoted £172.14 to replace the tap inc vat, i know now it isn’t the pump after following the steps. I was quoted £388.30 to replace the pump ....

Thanks for that , will give it a go
Have a look through here

Replacing the tap is an easy job, you just have to get your
head in the cupboard.
Pump is easy too, i don't know where they got those prices from.

388£ for replacing the freshwaterpump ?
A 20minute job and those pumps are way under 100£
Bring your Cali over i'll do the job for 250£;)

Hi, I v much appreciated the advice on here last year. We successfully cleaned the contacts with fine wet and dry paper, it has happened twice in a year, but the tap is working fine. I was also quoted £180 plus VAT just for the parts by VW, but my other half has fixed it, I would say just need the right tools and time.

Hi, I v much appreciated the advice on here last year. We successfully cleaned the contacts with fine wet and dry paper, it has happened twice in a year, but the tap is working fine. I was also quoted £180 plus VAT just for the parts by VW, but my other half has fixed it, I would say just need the right tools and time.
Might be worth carrying out the modification and fitting a relay to save the tap switch contacts, as in some of the latter posts ..

Might be worth carrying out the modification and fitting a relay to save the tap switch contacts, as in some of the latter posts ..
New tap on MY 2019. Wonder if that solves the micro switch problem?2D582D75-4F27-43C5-85F8-3434DA8553F8.jpeg

Well thought I would give an update over the tap situation. At first I made a (patented special tool) to loosen off the tank lid thinking it was the pump. Made from a piece of wood and two brake blocks.
Sadly not the pump .
Bypassed the switch .. hooray water flowed once more. A it must be the switch.

I gently prized off the tap.. where the small piece of metal fell away .. so I have had to rig a switched bypass, so at least we can go away this weekend and order a new complete tap..

F7027FF1-F898-4DAF-893A-515BEB191621.jpeg