Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water pump not working

Having issues here also.

Using a multimeter, when tap is on, no reading at the pump cable connection point under the hatch in the wardrobe.

If I disconnect the connection under the sink and bridge the contacts, pump does not fire up.

Can only assume I am looking at the wrong fuse, on the photo below can anyone please advise which is the correct fuse for the system. T5.1 2010. Thanks.
7b7b55073fb56194a570a82b95cc7409.jpg

Having issues here also.

Using a multimeter, when tap is on, no reading at the pump cable connection point under the hatch in the wardrobe.

If I disconnect the connection under the sink and bridge the contacts, pump does not fire up.

Can only assume I am looking at the wrong fuse, on the photo below can anyone please advise which is the correct fuse for the system. T5.1 2010. Thanks.
7b7b55073fb56194a570a82b95cc7409.jpg
According to my information it is a 5 amp Fuse at position SF20, far R middle Fuse.

DF75BD68-FC6C-4B12-8D24-60A7A9202833.jpeg

Yes mine was fuse 20 under passenger seat .. took a little while for my little head to turn the seat 90 degrees to get full access to fuses .... derrr

Thanks all.

Turned out I had a double whammy, faulty micro switch in the tap & a burned out pump.

Ordered a new tap & water lid remover from the club shop yesterday, arrived today. I always hold a spare pump in the van as one burned out a few years ago.

Tap and pump now fitted and water flows. Most difficult are getting the pump cable up through the grommet in the water tank & the water hose of the old tap connector. Used a hair dryer to heat the water hose.

All sorted now, ordered a new pump from the club shop. Arrived today.took my time with the job . Used hot water to soften the water pipe to ease new installation.
Also got some two wire connectors to make a neater job of it rather than break into the vw connector.

Made up a bypass switch as well so if it happens on a site I can swap out the bypass and continue to use the tap

48E12D24-051A-4BFF-BAF9-D00F554EFFD6.jpeg

Used my van today for the first time in a few months and the tap is not functional. Connections all good, so checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and it blew straight away, so I assume there is either a short somewhere or the pump has burnt out or seized. I'd be grateful for any advice or thoughts....

Martyn

Used my van today for the first time in a few months and the tap is not functional. Connections all good, so checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and it blew straight away, so I assume there is either a short somewhere or the pump has burnt out or seized. I'd be grateful for any advice or thoughts....

Martyn
If you disconnect the tap and short the connections on the wiring loom socket does the pump work or does the fuse blow?

Well, I did short the connection when first trying to find the problem and the pump didn't work, I assume the fuse was already blown at that point. I replaced it with my one spare 5a fuse and it blew straight away when the tap was turned on, so I'm thinking it would blow when shorted at the connection block too.

Well, I did short the connection when first trying to find the problem and the pump didn't work, I assume the fuse was already blown at that point. I replaced it with my one spare 5a fuse and it blew straight away when the tap was turned on, so I'm thinking it would blow when shorted at the connection block too.
Replace Pump. Probably seized.

You could try disconnecting the pump, replace fuse, operate tap and if fuse doesn't blow, you can be confident it isn't the pump....

Thanks for the advice guys, I will give that a try. Will have to survive for a few days without the tap!

You could try disconnecting the pump, replace fuse, operate tap and if fuse doesn't blow, you can be confident it isn't the pump....
Just to clarify what you said above, surely if I disconnected the pump, replaced the fuse and then operated the tap, then if it didn't blow I could be confident it IS the pump?

Fixed this now, the pump was siezed solid. Fortunately the tap micro switch was OK, so I didn't have to replace that. It actually wasn't that difficult a job, I made my own lid remover and used a hairdryer to loosen the water pipe, being careful to replace it so it was orientated the right way. Fiddly to get the cable back up through the grommet, but not impossible. Smaller hands would have helped! I left a decent loop of cable and soldered the connections with heatshrink tubing over the top, although if I'd had a nice connector to hand would have used that - anyone got any recommendations?

So not that bad a job. Just as a matter of interest, if anyone DID replace their tap as part of this and still has the old one, could I persuade you to part with the spout? My wife managed to really scrape ours with a knife and it has a big gouge in it! I would be willing to make suitable financial recompense of course

This (and a few other threads) were of great help, as I've had 3 different issues already with the water system in the California. I've learned a few things as I fixed all of them, including replacing the water pump myself, so I decided to document it all in case it helps others. Here's a first guide on how to identify which problem you are actually experiencing:

https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/fix-vw-california-ocean-coast-kitchen-water-issues-43a19d0d893a

I hope it helps! I'll update this thread as I complete the detailed step-by-step guides (feel free to drop by that article and give me some claps and comments for motivation!)

OK, for any one browsing this thread in search for a guide on how to replace the water pump, here's a guide I've put together after replacing mine:
https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/how-to-replace-the-vw-california-water-pump-b8ec3aac2868

If you are not sure if you need to replace your water pump or not, you can use my previous article to determine what problem is affecting your van:
https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/fix-vw-california-ocean-coast-kitchen-water-issues-43a19d0d893a

I hope it helps!
Please STOP posting the same post in 10 threads. Post it once and post links to it. This approach does NOT help members.