Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

WAter pump

Mama Mama

Mama Mama

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good garage that can mend my Vw California water pump please . I live in Lewes, East Sussex
TIA

The pump can't be mended just replace it with a new one

Ok thank you.
many tecommendations who is best Lewes , East Sussex who could do this for me?

to be honest you could do it yourself its very easy to change

Ok! How?
May moment I can’t get the top off the water pump… I guess it’s not been touched since 2007… I’ve now ordered the part to get the lid off . Then I guess I just pop the new one in???

yes just pull it out of the tank and replace it screw lid back on

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good garage that can mend my Vw California water pump please . I live in Lewes, East Sussex
TIA
I replaced mine this morning. Easy.

yes just pull it out of the tank and replace it screw lid back on
I have got lid off now. I can't see how I unattached the fresh water pump to replace. Do you have any recommendations for garages that can help me in Sussex plesase

I have got lid off now. I can't see how I unattached the fresh water pump to replace. Do you have any recommendations for garages that can help me in Sussex plesase
It’s attached to a clear pipe that pulls off the pipe. It’s flexible so you can bend the pipe upwards towards the access hole. I’d start with getting the downstairs bed flat to help with access. Once the pump is off the pipe cut the electric wire to pump as close to the pump as possible (having disconnected all the electric connections first).
You can now slide the clear pipe onto the new pump and feed the cable from the pump through the grommet at the top of the tank.
I stripped some of the existing old cable and attached (joined) it to the new cable and after securing with gaffa tape pulled it through.
It helps to use vaseline on the cable to make it slippery.
Its a bit fiddly but easy really.

It’s attached to a clear pipe that pulls off the pipe. It’s flexible so you can bend the pipe upwards towards the access hole. I’d start with getting the downstairs bed flat to help with access. Once the pump is off the pipe cut the electric wire to pump as close to the pump as possible (having disconnected all the electric connections first).
You can now slide the clear pipe onto the new pump and feed the cable from the pump through the grommet at the top of the tank.
I stripped some of the existing old cable and attached (joined) it to the new cable and after securing with gaffa tape pulled it through.
It helps to use vaseline on the cable to make it slippery.
Its a bit fiddly but easy really.
Thank you for this information. Will try and replace it.

Thank you for this information. Will try and replace it.

The above is a good walk through of pump replacement.

However, the below is worth doing first before pump replacement.
Had a similar issue with the fresh water pump not working after filling tank after drain down over winter and testing.

All electrical test (fuse, micro switch at tap and power to pump were all good, so this left either seized pump, burnt out by running without water(most unlikely) or plain just having given up.

So extracted pump, (Did not need the access hatch spanner just a good adjustable spanner to catch in the plastic ribbed top to free ).
Found that the impeller would turn but felt a little stiff but not having a new pump to compare to, seemed about right resistance for having the motor attached.

Refitted and shook it about in the water and banged on side and bottom of tank in hope that if it was a seized impeller, this would free it (as many others have found).

No luck, so ordered a new pump from the shop and fitted this. Note the rubber grommet for the power cable into the tank is a right bast@-d to get back in with the cable through it. Careful but necessary force with a screwdriver tip without cutting the grommet. Tried with just the unsleeved tail leads through but felt that these may have snapped trying to pull on these to get the waterproof outer cable back through the grommet.

Anyway, gave the impeller a spin and found it to be much easier to turn than the one I took out. Made the electrical reconnection and water flowing fine.

So turned my attention to the old pump and using a drill shank pushed hard on the end of the motor spindle.

There was a distinct give and click as something reseated.

Tested the old pump (in water to avoid running dry and worked perfectly.

So now have a spare pump :) but thought others may want to know about this as just rattling/tapping the pump may not be enough to free a seized/limescale encrusted impeller after draining the tank and over wintering as a dry1630870157946.jpeg

Back