Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What do you use your water for ?

F

Flood51

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am sure this must have been covered previously but my searches don't bring it up.
On our first trip out, and our first cup of tea I could not easily fill the kettle from a standard 5L bottle of water so used the water from the tap. Distinct PVC taste as expected but does this go over time or is the water only meant to be used for washing up, brushing teeth and washing the dog (don't have one but presume this is why most people go for the back shower option)

We use the water tank for washing, drinking, cleaning teeth, making squash - everything - only notice any taste if drinking plain water, and that is probably more to do with the water being "room temperature"

We also fill the tank from garden hose.

I sterilize the tank once a year with baby bottle sterilizer .

Water rebel....

It is meant to use for genaral purpose as coocking , boiling for thee/coffee , washing-up dishes and washing yourself/ cleaning teeth , drinking water for the dog, .....
That all if the tank is clean and filled with water you trust.
So we do it this way .
We do not drink strait from the tap only use boiled water for consumtion.

Ar we allone on this...

I only use the tank water for general cleaning. I drink bottled water and clean my teeth with bottled. My pot noodles, cuppa soups and cups of tea/coffee I only use bottled. It is not that I distrust the tank, just years of travelling to many distant. dark places and all the problems associated with inconsistency of water.

As I also use mostly disposable cutlery and dishes I have little washing up either so a tank of water comfortably lasts me over a week.

Actually Jeff, now that you've come out and said it - neither have we sterilized the tank! We do use it all year round, so the water doesn't stand long. I guess we should sterilize it though and maybe we will pay in the belly for our idleness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian, we just fill when we are away lasts us about 3days when full. Always drain it out as soon as we are home.

We've used various VW campers for nearly 40 years, always washed the tank out with Milton once or twice a year. You can taste the Milton if you don't rinse a tank full through after but it doesn't do babies any harm so shouldn't do us any either.
Water for drinking is always boiled but otherwise it is used for everything. The tank is always drained between trips even if the gap is only a week. We've filled up on sites & Aires all over Europe without any ill effects.
Just washed ours out this weekend ready for the season as it happens.

Rod

We sterilised ours at the beginning and not since No ill effects so far.

Milton to sterilise/clean Once a year. Otherwise we use the tank water for everything . If not sure about the water quality we use water purifying tablets in the tank. Have done that for years when caravaning and camping.

We're another non steriliser - 6 years in and never done it and we also fill from the garden hose, with no adverse effects.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

We haven't filled our fresh water tank yet or used the waste water tank either. We bought our ex demo T5 in October and due to our only using it infrequently over the winter we didn't want to risk frost damage. However we will be sterilizing it and using it soon.

So far we have only used bottled water and that has worked out fine.

We haven't filled our fresh water tank yet or used the waste water tank either. We bought our ex demo T5 in October and due to our only using it infrequently over the winter we didn't want to risk frost damage. However we will be sterilizing it and using it soon.

So far we have only used bottled water and that has worked out fine.

We bought our Cali last year and haven't been using water in it (due mainly to the same reasons as Borris), however we filled, emptied and flushed it through last weekend in readiness for next weekend.

One question we had though was we could get the grey water tank to empty easily enough but the fresh water tank didn't appear to be willing to empty [that is when the valve was opened] and we had to run the water through the tap into the sink and empty via the waste tank. We think that it may be finger trouble on our part and have put it down as one of those questions that we will ask at this weekends meet.

Cheers, Cliff, Deborah and Ellie

Try removing the filler cap ... This will increase the flow :thumb

Try removing the filler cap ... This will increase the flow :thumb

We thought that it may be something to do with air in the system as we found the tank relatively difficult to fill in the first place... We'll give it a go. Ta

Drinking, washing teeth, cuppas, cooking and washing up (although we use the facilities if we're at a campsite) - the whole kit caboodle! Don't notice any unusual tastes.

We use the water tank for washing, drinking, cleaning teeth, making squash - everything - only notice any taste if drinking plain water, and that is probably more to do with the water being "room temperature"

We also fill the tank from garden hose.

I sterilize the tank once a year with baby bottle sterilizer .

Water rebel....

Same as over here.

Use our "tanked" water for the same as we use water at home. Tea,drinking, cooking, teeth -- but not washing the van or watering the garden. Not grown at 6th toe yet.

It does take ages to drain and it drips out all round the back bumper. I'm going to see if I can reroute/extend the pipe so that it comes out in one place.

Ditto lots of others, we use the water in the tank for everything including drinking. I always drain the tank after a trip and sterilise with water tank sterlizer bought from a camp shop ( same active ingredient as Milton) once or twice a year. My wife is hyper sensitive to bad tastes and smells and in 4 years has never complained about the quality of the water.

Back