Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water tanks

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All. I am on hunt for a Cali shortly but have a question about the water tanks.

I fully understand you have potable water and waste water tanks but with the potable water how large is it and if Cali is standing for a while (over winter months) does this need to be drained and then prior to use be sterilised using something like sterident? It's obviously not good to have water standing for long in a pvc/plastic container as it will attain a plasticky taste.

Reason for asking is we normally go away for 2 weeks late spring and 2 weeks mid autumn (that may change to when ever at weekends soon though) and have nice quality drinking water where we live (yes hard water but nice). We tend to wash up on camp site facilities so sink won't necessarily get used so would the tank hold enough for our holiday?

Many thanks

Not sure of capacity pos 15 - 20 litres but an easy to get at drain is fitted, so I drain ours when we have done for anything more than a few days.

Hi All. I am on hunt for a Cali shortly but have a question about the water tanks.

I fully understand you have potable water and waste water tanks but with the potable water how large is it and if Cali is standing for a while (over winter months) does this need to be drained and then prior to use be sterilised using something like sterident? It's obviously not good to have water standing for long in a pvc/plastic container as it will attain a plasticky taste.

Reason for asking is we normally go away for 2 weeks late spring and 2 weeks mid autumn (that may change to when ever at weekends soon though) and have nice quality drinking water where we live (yes hard water but nice). We tend to wash up on camp site facilities so sink won't necessarily get used so would the tank hold enough for our holiday?

Many thanks
I normally empty the water tank after a trip, and refill before the next trip, as you say one gets used to local supply and enjoy using it when away, only 30 ltr though so after a week or so we have to refill.
We have never sterilised the tank apart from before the first use and have survived.

Use mine all the time including drinking water. If its going to be more than 10days beween useage then I drain it and leave it drained before filling up for next use. it holds 30 ltr.

30 L as said. and yes drain it in winter. you need to pull the fuse for the pump and open the tap to empty the pipe too or the tap can be forced off with ice. mine did this once. as for sterilising I too have never done mine. usually the water is boiled for a coffee anyway. and i'm sure its safe to wash your teeth and face in it. enjoy. keep those questions coming.

I drain after each trip (both fresh and waste) and intend to sterilise a couple of times a year.

Many thanks for all the replies. As you can see I am now getting down to the nitty gritty lol. My other main question about space for dogs bed when lower bed out as my local dealer has an Ocean on display so I asked the question and the very helpful salesman (odd for commercials) pulled the bed out so I could measure it. He confirmed nothing in that area had changed over the years as far as he knew so my measurement (which I have now forgotten) of about 600mm was soon compared to my young black labs bed and looks to fit. Looks like more room if passenger seat isn't swivelled but as long as right back I think it will be ok. My existing T5 conversion has about 900mm but there's also a gap under end of the bed as well. Having said that we could sleep up top (just have to help Mrs get down in mornings) and dog cold have downstairs...............we'll see!

Ha ha - I don't think a 2 year old Drakeshead lab weighing in at 32 kg would be a good idea!! He'd be bouncing around all night up there.

He is pretty good at moment when we set the bed up and settles down quickly till around 4 when it's getting dark then big tail banging cupboards and your ears get licked!!!! Yuk

Back