Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water tap = fuse blowing

Tom Smith

Tom Smith

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a very frustrating problem with my tap.
It stopped working, so i changed the 5amp fuse twice and they both blew.
I tried a 10amp fuse and the tap works perfectly.
So the tap works and the pump works, but i know I shouldn't be using a 10amp fuse.
Not sure how to proceed.
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
Or could offer some advice?
Thank you.

Could be the pump is losing it and drawing more power than normal .
If a fuse blow and you change it with a stronger one and continue using it you'rlooking for trouble.

Last edited:
I have a very frustrating problem with my tap.
It stopped working, so i changed the 5amp fuse twice and they both blew.
I tried a 10amp fuse and the tap works perfectly.
So the tap works and the pump works, but i know I shouldn't be using a 10amp fuse.
Not sure how to proceed.
Has anyone had any similar experiences?
Or could offer some advice?
Thank you.
High resistance in tap or pump. Probably pump.

Check the pump..
Put the 5 amp fuse back in. Remove cutlery draw in R hand kitchen cupboard.
From the bottom of the tap trace the wire around the R hand side of the sink to a foam covered connector. Unplug the connector. Switch the tap On and then short the connector ( not connected to the tap ) with a paper clip. Pump starts OK? Or if it doesn’t check the fuse. If the fuse has blown then Pump needs replacing as it’s seizing up.

If the pump runs OK and fuse is OK. Then reconnect the tap and switch on the Tap . If fuse blows then high resistance in tap microswitch ( unlikely but possible ) so either repair or replace tap.

High resistance in tap or pump. Probably pump.

Check the pump..
Put the 5 amp fuse back in. Remove cutlery draw in R hand kitchen cupboard.
From the bottom of the tap trace the wire around the R hand side of the sink to a foam covered connector. Unplug the connector. Switch the tap On and then short the connector ( not connected to the tap ) with a paper clip. Pump starts OK? Or if it doesn’t check the fuse. If the fuse has blown then Pump needs replacing as it’s seizing up.

If the pump runs OK and fuse is OK. Then reconnect the tap and switch on the Tap . If fuse blows then high resistance in tap microswitch ( unlikely but possible ) so either repair or replace tap.
Thank you for this advice, I shall try this.
Much appreciated