Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Big Drip on the Doorstep!

2CV67

2CV67

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Our first little trip this year has clarified a problem we had noticed previously.

When the sliding door is open, we often have a persistent drip of water directly in the middle of the step (where we often sit...).

When it's actually raining, that might sound reasonable (but it isn't, of course).
When the water is just from dew condensed on the raised roof, then it is harder to excuse, but easier to investigate.
So what is happening is that the water drops run down the edge of the open roof & drip onto the fixed roof, where you would expect them to run along the aluminium rails & drain down at the front or the rear of the vehicle.
But they don't - they disappear behind the rail & reappear from behind the rail in the middle of the sliding door, where they run down the window (door closed) or drip onto the step (door open).

This is obviously a nuisance, so I wonder:
- Does anybody/everybody else have the problem?
- Are there seals behind the aluminium rails to prevent it?
- What is causing it (missing or damaged seals)?
- How to fix it?

Still under garantee, I shall be taking it back to the dealer, but I would like to know the right answers before starting the discussion!

Thanks for your input!

More investigations at home today:

Right-hand side:

Parked nose-up in the drive - no problem - can dribble water on top of the aluminium 'gutter' at the front & it drains off at the back.

Parked nose-down - dribble water on the gutter at the back & it drains from behind the gutter right across the window (see photo), or right into the window if window open, or onto the doorstep if door open.

drip_zpscbf2671c.jpg

On the left-hand side, the gutter works just like you would expect a gutter to work.
Water drains off the lower end without dribbling in the middle...

Any ideas?

Hi it looks like you are missing a rubber gasket that runs the length of the awning
In between the roof and awning case

Calikev said:
Hi it looks like you are missing a rubber gasket that runs the length of the awning

Is this different to the wide rubber strip that you can see between the Cali and the awning? Mine drips too :crazy

Calikev said:
Not quite sure which 'gasket' you are refering to.
I do have the big black filler plate behind the awning case.
filler_zps89c9eefc.jpg
If that was missing, I suppose water would run over the front of the aluminium gutter rail?

My drips appear from BEHIND the gutter rail - between that rail & the steel body panels.
I suspect it may be due to the obvious gap I can now see between the gutter rail at the back end & the thin black rubber gasket behind it.
[EDIT: Looks like black rubber but actually feels like hard plastic]
Not sure it is very visible in this shot:
gap_zps067b31a7.jpg

VW fixed this under garantee.

3 days work, removing awning & rail, but no explanations.

I can see they have completely sealed behind the aluminium rail with transparent sealant (neatly!)

Haven't tested in critical conditions, but it is obviously going to be OK now.

Wonder what actually went wrong?

Back