Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We want a Cali advice please

Y

youboughtwhat

Already a member of the T5 forum and own an 04 plate Caravelle (174bhp) with 20 inch Range Rover wheels (sorry not intending to upset anyone by ruining the vehicle)

So at the weekend went to the local dealers where we viewed a pre reg 180 Cali which is available in March ticked all the boxes etc however price is £700 more than equivalent on DTD web site and would be 6 months old when available so probably going to consider new so just a few questions.

1. Is it best to order via DTD ( drive the deal) or try to get local dealers to match
2. Some research indicates I maybe better to get the 140 and have it remapped (no erg issues) any thoughts
3 it would appear new with discount is actually cheaper than 2nd hand is there a cut off
4 I think the roof and the front of the roofs corrosion issues are solved does anyone know the build date this was cured from
Any other thoughts or advice welcomed
Really useful forum and thanks in advance for advice

1 - DTD will be from a VW dealer (maybe not your local one) - so just order from the one with the best price

2 - Remapping a 140 will invalidate the warranty. The EGRs on 180s are no more dodgy than 140 ones, they just cost more to replace as they are deeper in the engine.

3 - I would haggle on the ex-demo one - it should be cheaper than a DTD equivalent new one - normally DTD gives 15%ish and I managed 21% discount on ex-demo. Of course you don't have to wait for an ex-demo...

4 - mixed messages on the roof corrosion issue - the front bit has been fixed for some time and I am sure you will be fine with that. The main roof may not have been changed. However due to excellent work of some members of this forum you have 6 years warranty on the roof - so don't worry.

Other members with have other opinions - just my 2cents worth :)

Thanks for the reply yes agree re warranty on remap and if the lead for a new one is about 16 weeks then a new van would be here quicker than the demo (cannot release till March)

Hi, current discounts with DTD are about 10%, my local dealer matched them straight away and was very easy to deal with. The DTD dealer is in the outskirts of London and will deliver your Cali to you but via the road ( not transporter) or you can pickup from London area. We ordered our Cali 2 weeks ago and it has a current build week of week 11, 2015. Then you have to wait for delivery etc so i don't think you will get a new one before March anyway. There has been a lot of orders recently to beat the Nov 3rd price increase. A demo is usually only held for 3 months isn't it?

Yes a demo has to be run by dealer for 3 months before they can sell it.

Try and look for pre reg delivery miler - we did and saved a fortune (£7.5k) while knowing it hadn't been used before.

The EGR valve is the same in the 140, it's just much easier to get to than a 180 if it needs replacing. Remapping may give the "same" bhp but the torque curve will be much spikier. The 180 has two turbos which smooths the power delivery and gives more pull at low revs. Single turbo diesels do almost nothing until 2500 revs, go well then run out of puff 1500rpm later - the bi-turbo 180 has power much lower down the rev range. I personally would never remap a car or van.

The pre reg van is a rental van which must be registred to the dealer for 6 months not the 3 required for a demo and therefore at avaiability will be 6 months old But very unlikely to have done any mileage) does this change your advice thanks

YBW

Back