Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wedding ring fell behind fridge

D

dominicc

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello,
My name is Dominic and have been renting an Ocean for the 2 weeks and touring Scandinavia. Our last night last night and my wife accidentally dropped her wedding ring down the tiny gap behind the fridge window.
I’ve been poking around to see how one might get it out but as it’s a rental I need to very careful. Only thing I can think is an endoscope camera with a hook.
I was wondering if anybody has done anything similar and had any tips for getting behind the fridge?
Thanks a lot for any ideas in advance.
Dominic

It's a massive pain getting behind there - I had to thread a wire behind for solar and it was a chore.

You are probably right - you will need something like a scope to see where it could be.

The whole unit goes in as one block so to get it out to find something would take a while.

Someone may be able to advise if the Fridge can be lifted out in situ?

Appreciate the reply. My thoughts too. Ordering an endoscope camera.

Appreciate the reply. My thoughts too. Ordering an endoscope camera.
Toolnation (in NL) have one on sale for around 40 euro's that you can hook up to your mobile phone. Seems like it will suffice for the need you have for it. Image is good and it has a light at the top. If you treat it well you might even be ok to send it back.

If the ring went all the way down, you might be lucky to seek on the ground under the fridge, behind the red handle bar for the wastwater valve. You can remove the wall with a torx screwdriver (at least in my T5, don't know about the T6.1).

If the ring is not there, it might be stuck somewhere between the back wall of the fridge and the metal of the van. Only way to operate then, is to remove the fridge. That can be done best with two persons. The screws of the fridge are also in the cupboard left of the fridge. Not an easy job, but doable. Put a vacuum sucker at the fridge bottom to lift it up. Use some thick books to hold the fridge high. Be very, very carefull not to scratch the walls of the cupboard with the sharp edges of the fridge, that will cost you a fortune (replacement of complete kitchen...).

There's info about removing the fridge here on the forum. Search this on Google, because the search function here is down. In Google just type: "vwcaliforniaclub.com (space) remove fridge", or something like that.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Here's a .pdf (in German) with the procedure to remove the fridge. Maybe the pictures are enough to help you on your way.

Marc.

Attachments

• Koelkast_Uitbouwen_Calimerlin_Dez_2018.pdf
    489.9 KB · Views: 16
you could also try one of those long bendy magnets and root that around behind there,thats if you know the ring is magnetic of course

Hi all.
Thanks for all of the input. We really do appreciate it!
We tried the camera. No joy. We weren’t confident to lift the fridge without damage and the ring was non magnetic. However, I spoke to the rental company and they are going to take out the fridge and look for us. So fingers crossed!
Worst case scenario we get a new ring from insurance - not the same but a first world problem all things considered.
Again - thanks for the help! We plan on getting our own California next year so I’ll be sticking around.

cheers

Dominic

Hi all.
We tried the camera. No joy. We weren’t confident to lift the fridge without damage and the ring was non magnetic. However, I spoke to the rental company and they are going to take out the fridge and look for us. So fingers crossed!
Worst case scenario we get a new ring from insurance - not the same but a first world problem all things considered.
Again - thanks for the help! We plan on getting our own California next year so I’ll be sticking around.

cheers

Dominic
Buy a new ring and drop that behind your new cali fridge, then you can look for it later

Hi all.

cheers

Dominic
If you plan to buy a Cali soon anyway, you could perhaps negotiate a deal with the rental company for the van, then take your time retrieving the ring.
Just a thought…probably not helpful I know.
Good luck, I feel for you both :)

Back