Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weight and loading capacity

I always think that the T32 base should be offered as an option on the 4M with that extra weight capacity getting the payload back in line with 2WD models- but.

I'd say that in your intended use 4M would be fully justified with adjustments to what you carry to suit. eg I never fill the water tank as if travelling to a site a fresh supply is readily available. 5 litre bottle plus a few smaller one if required.

Four Season tyres would be essential for slipways.

If towing more than 750kgs trailer my Insurer, Safeguard, advised that the trailer isn't covered under the Cali policy, separate insurance required. You may know but just a heads up.

So here is a counter view. I have a 2017 Ocean 150DSG and often tow a boat/trailer of approx 1900kg. I hesritated over 4M but decided not in the end, on cost/mpg/payload basis (often carry dive gear). I’ve never had trouble launching. Always been able to escape the mud in the end. I have put M+S tyres on it, which I think helps. I still fancy 4M but I don’t think I really need it.

The big weight items are people, bikes and awnings. For just two you shoukd be fine.

The payload already accounts for a 75kg driver, fuel and water tank.

You need to allow for the weight of the passenger say 75kg if towing, the nose weight of the trailer say 75kg clothes etc say 25kg each that still leaves you 176kg for food, bbq, pots & pans etc

Without using a bike rack or external box, you will run out of space before you run out of space.
Thanks for helpful points made.

Resurrection!

Taking my ocean in for its control technique tomorrow and so was looking at the coc card. As many on here, surprises me how little difference between weight of vehicle and max permissable when fully laden.

The pic is a Google translate one as in German, my question is what is the difference between mass in running order and actual vehicle mass, and does this figure include the fuel\water\driver @80kg?

IMG-20230831-WA0004.jpg

Guess it also make sense to leave the water tanks empty and perhaps reduce the amount of fuel you are carrying if going to an area where weight might be an issue.
This I do myself aswel since we alway go to campings where there is water fill up possible.
What you can get on place, you do not need to carry with you. Saves of full consumption.

Resurrection!

Taking my ocean in for its control technique tomorrow and so was looking at the coc card. As many on here, surprises me how little difference between weight of vehicle and max permissable when fully laden.

The pic is a Google translate one as in German, my question is what is the difference between mass in running order and actual vehicle mass, and does this figure include the fuel\water\driver @80kg?

View attachment 113758
Mass in running order means the mass of the vehicle, with its fuel tank(s) filled to at least 90 per cent of its or their capacity/capacities, including the mass of the driver, fuel and liquids, fitted with the standard equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.

Mass in running order means the mass of the vehicle, with its fuel tank(s) filled to at least 90 per cent of its or their capacity/capacities, including the mass of the driver, fuel and liquids, fitted with the standard equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications.

How can that be more than actual vehicle mass?!

How can that be more than actual vehicle mass?!

Because driver weight is not included / kerb mass below:

Gross Vehicle Mass/ Gross Vehicle Weight (GVM/ GVW):​

The maximum permitted mass of the vehicle including the driver, passengers, fluids and loads and the load cargo. It is the GVM that will determine which category of commercial vehicle the vehicle falls in to (light commercial vehicle, medium commercial vehicle, heavy commercial vehicle)

Kerb Mass:​

Unladen weight (i.e. not carrying a load) of the vehicle, with fluids, 90% fuel, standard and any optional equipment, but excludes load/cargo weight and weight of the driver. Higher series vehicles will be heavier due to higher spec.

Kerb Mass in Running Order:​

Kerb Mass + 75kg (industry standard figure used for the driver)

Gross Payload:​

Gross Vehicle Mass less the Kerb Mass. In other words the difference between the maximum weight a vehicle is permitted to be and what it actually weighs shows the weight of the cargo you can have in the vehicle

Net Payload:​

Gross vehicle mass less the kerb mass in running order. This creates an allowance of the 75kg for the driver, showing the actual payload available for load cargo after the driver’s weight has been accounted for.

Gross Train Mass:​

The maximum permitted combined mass of the vehicle and attached trailer. It is the GVM + the mass of the trailer being used + the mass of any load cargo in/on the trailer.

Cargo Volume:​

The volume inside the cubic dimension of the vehicle made up of the length, width and height.

Last edited:
Resurrection!

View attachment 113758
I think it's the translation thats confusing things. Along with VWs usage of unladen weight when they actually mean mass in running order.

Your "Actual Vehicle mass" is only 2kg different from the Unladen weight given in a 2018 T6 cali brochure, Vw state: Unladen weight includes approximately 90% fuel load and 75kg for driver.

According to the .Gov definitions
Unladen weight is the figure with no fuel, spare wheel, or driver
Mass in running order includes 90% fuel, +75kg driver.

I wouldn't have thought, if used "normally", a Cali would be that easy to overload? Certainly not compared to some T26 conversions that are rolling about out there!

I wouldn't have thought, if used "normally", a Cali would be that easy to overload? Certainly not compared to some T26 conversions that are rolling about out there!
You would be surprised.
Bike rack + 4 bikes. Driveway awning
And - how many adults weigh 75 kgs ?
Owners adding a spare wheel .
It soon adds up.

You would be surprised.
Bike rack + 4 bikes. Driveway awning
And - how many adults weigh 75 kgs ?
Owners adding a spare wheel .
It soon adds up.
575kg difference (excluding 75kg driver) for a 6.1 150 Ocean. Add in two adults and a kid that’s about 175kg for us. That leaves 400kg. Even with the bike rack, two bikes (say 50kg), luggage (another 50kg), beer and food (20kg), water (30kg), wrap (10kg) and “stuff” (EHU cable etc, say another 25kg which is probably overkill), 10kg for a 907 (?) that still leaves us over 200kg clear of the GVW? There’d have to be a lot of extra clobber to take over the weight. Maybe four adults and their kit might I suppose if they packed heavily.

Back