Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weight and loading capacity

AndyWT

AndyWT

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
The T5 and up are wider, highter, longer. Double glazed windows at the back. Picknick talbe in sliding door, seats in tailgate, heavy seats, heavy aluminium roof...

Mine weighs over 2500 kg "empty".
It may be wider & a bit longer, but it’s the same height and not much bigger inside, I also have double glazed windows and I forgot snow chains and the standard fit Eberspächer’s

Miss my T3 which is actually a lot longer inside, 400mm or so, could have bed out still use the kitchen and get out without falling over the Potti.

Never-mind more fun to come, heading to Spain soon, looking for rabbit holes to fall down in the mountains and desert

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Seems I am about to have more fun then expected.
From what I discovered our MOT requires all the seats to be present on a check. And I have obviously 7 registered for my vehicle as a maximum possible in any configuration.
So according to their logic, I should buy a new 3 seat bench, extra 2 seats and throw away factory storage box, just to pass the MOT.
Fun times we live in.

Loz

Loz

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
If you think you are going to be close to the maximum weight it is vitally important that you consider the axle weight loading.
Because when you are pulled over they weigh the vehicle front axle and rear axle independently and quite often if you have a bike rack then you will be overloaded on the rear axle.
So when travelling it’s a good idea to take stuff off the rear parcel shelf and put it into the living space and if you can and certainly if you get stopped, slide the rear seat as far forward as you can to centralise its weight.
Quite often the traffic police or VOSA inspectors will look at how the vehicle is riding and as we know, the Cali has a tendency to drop a bit on the rear so it’s already attracting attention.

reserves

reserves

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
My head is hurting trying to figure this out.

2014 California 140bhp

Could I safely load 260kg + myself (80kg)?

Need to return 21 boxes of flooring but have no intention of damaging the Cali if not recommended / safe.

I wont be carrying anything else in the van.

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199

2014 California 140bhp

Need to return 21 boxes of flooring but have no intention of damaging the Cali if not recommended / safe.

260kg is well within the load capacity

Nick Stubbs

Nick Stubbs

The Rodent.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Our 7 seater was tested in December with the 2 seats removed. Passed MOT with no issues.
I have had three 7 seat Discoverys, always took the 6/7th seats out, never had any MOT issues, never gave it a thought either.

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach

2014 California 140bhp

Yes, your flooring is actually less weight than carrying an additional 4 adult passengers. (4 x80 = 320kgs+ yourself = 400kgs), and you would allow that without even thinking about it.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion

2014 California 140bhp

Perfectly safe but don’t put it all in the boot, better to load between the 2 axles.

Sp0_0k

Sp0_0k

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Removing the bench is -90Kg and space to load :)

andyinluton

andyinluton

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Sliding the bench forward & putting flooring in the boot over the axle would give a pretty good weight distribution.

AndyWT

AndyWT

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Emptied of all the camping gear and bench/bed etc, had 1ton pack of brick through the side door wasn't a problem was only 200kg over technical weight, no worse than Bob the Builder

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I once loaded approx. 500 kg of bags of sand and concrete in the boot.
Plus 2 adults at the front. The mudflaps were scraping the ground when getting off the parking. There was about 10 cm asphalt taken off due to road works.
That 3000 kg is a theoretically value. As long as you don't overweight by 100's of kgs, there is no real issue.
The only problem would be the springs at the rear. Once they reach their limits, the van becomes unstable.
Just don't do that all the time. But for one time for a short mileage, no problem.

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Thread Resurrection!
Has anybody weighted an empty T5/T6 SE or Ocean , fwd or 4M, and would be kind to share the actual measurements for Front and Rear Axels?

B J G

B J G

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I once loaded approx. 500 kg of bags of sand and concrete in the boot.
Plus 2 adults at the front. The mudflaps were scraping the ground when getting off the parking. There was about 10 cm asphalt taken off due to road works.
That 3000 kg is a theoretically value. As long as you don't overweight by 100's of kgs, there is no real issue.
The only problem would be the springs at the rear. Once they reach their limits, the van becomes unstable.
Just don't do that all the time. But for one time for a short mileage, no problem.
Being overweight is illegal and technically invalidate the Insurance.
Nothing theoretical about the maximum weight shown on the Chassis/Vin plate.

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Being overweight is illegal and technically invalidate the Insurance.

I guess that is a big deterrent.

I wish that other road traffic offences, such as speeding, invalidated insurance, allowing insurers to pursue law breakers for third party claims paid out to innocent victims.

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
not sure how it is in the UK, but in Germany for example the fines are not so high. But Austria and Italy are tough in that with fines running in the thousands of Euros, and charging for the disposal of the extra weight that needs to be removed to allow you to proceed.
That's why I think it is useful to know total weight but especially the weight distribution between the two axles.
I have made a list of absolute everything that i carry in my Cali, and I have just 75kg to spare, considering It's just me (70kg) and my 7yrs old (23kg) daughter...
The problem is that there is a tradeoff between the opposite: convenience of access and ideal weight distribution...
My Cali weights 2686kg according to the CoC.

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
This is a subject I've chosen to turn a blind eye to. This thread has rightly focused my attention to it.
We wild camp, so while travelling always try to keep the water tank as full as possible, plus carry an extra 10 litre container full of water. A lot of water! We also carry a spare gas cylinder, plus beer and wine.(survival kit). Always thought it looked like it needed T32 springs on the rear.
Our new van on order (no build date) is a T6.1 4Motion, so this is going exacerbate the problem due to it's less payload.
Think I'll have to pay more attention to this in the future.

Qnapper

Qnapper

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
In my motorhome days, I would see loads of them overloaded so much so they looked dangerous. We did get stopped once on A17 and thank God I was just under, but felt sick from the moment they stopped us. Now with our new (to me) campervan, we watch everything we load and before heading off (not done it yet because of this bloody virus) weigh the van. We did this every time with the old motorhome for peace of mind.

Dark Ocean

Dark Ocean

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
In my motorhome days, I would see loads of them overloaded so much so they looked dangerous. We did get stopped once on A17 and thank God I was just under, but felt sick from the moment they stopped us. Now with our new (to me) campervan, we watch everything we load and before heading off (not done it yet because of this bloody virus) weigh the van. We did this every time with the old motorhome for peace of mind.

When you say weigh the van, do you work backwards from the published base weight of the vehicle and then weigh everything you put in it or do you have a method of actually weighing the van when fully loaded?

I have to say, I am of the mindset of taking everything including the kitchen sink, so much so I was thinking of a roof box for the inflatable sports equipment too. I might have to rethink this now but it would be good to know how to check the weight when my Cali arrives next month. I guess a little trial and error to get it right.

VW California Club