Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Weight on Tow Bar

BerndRos

BerndRos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a Nestaway Dinghy that is in 2 parts & bolts together. An accessory is a modified Thule platform that mounts on the tow bar, the Dinghy then bolts onto to the platform, one half within the other.

My Q is....assuming my Cali is moderately loaded with other gear & 2 people in the front, what weight would the tow bar & suspension etc take ?

Thanks

Are you talking pure weight on the tow ball or axle weight?

If the former, then what is the significance of the passengers?

Are you talking pure weight on the tow ball or axle weight?

If the former, then what is the significance of the passengers?

Both tow ball & axle I guess.

I said only front passengers to illustrate there would be NO heavy additional weight in the back.

I believe the tow ball weight is around 130kg. I seriously doubt the canoe is anywhere near that.

Not an answerable question as it all relates to gross laden weight. No weight given for passengers or what is being carried inside.
You can weigh the Thule carrier plus canoe to check that, ensure it comes within towbar load capacity.
Weigh both passengers and anything else that can be done. Add that to towbar weight and take the sum away from your Cali load capacity. Hopefully a positive figure left.

Biggest problem is the rear axle loading and only way to check is on a weighbridge. Front axle only on, weigh, whole vehicle on, weigh, rear axle only on, weigh. You now have all the info required but finding public weighbridges isn't that easily done.
Local scrap yard is possible but big risk of metal in a tyre.

I have a Nestaway Dinghy that is in 2 parts & bolts together. An accessory is a modified Thule platform that mounts on the tow bar, the Dinghy then bolts onto to the platform, one half within the other.

My Q is....assuming my Cali is moderately loaded with other gear & 2 people in the front, what weight would the tow bar & suspension etc take ?

Thanks
The max towbar nose weight/static load for my 2012 Cali is 100kg, for my car it is 75kg, the figure is in the owners manual. There should also be an "S" value (in Kg) on the tow bar itself which may differ to the figure in the manual as the towbar may not be vehicle specific, use the figure which is the lowest.

Back